TheOhioState

Would you go to dual held today?

Just curious how many of you out there would go, or would be reluctant to attend. 

Assume that the wrestlers themselves compete just as they did before covid-19. 

I know...it's a h of an assumption, but go with it.

Also...spectator face masks  are optional.  

No shaming here:

If you don't want to be exposed, that makes perfect sense.

If you aren't worried, that's your prerogative.

**** I along with my son and 2 other staunch Lehigh fans, went to the EIWAs at Stabler arena on March 6 & 7, just a few days before the first lock downs.  Attendance was between 2,500 and 3,000 for each session.  I have not had any health problems since, nor am I aware of anyone else who attended having any health issues, (I keep in touch with many wrestling fans).  There must have been Covid 19 germs flying around at that tournament, being the location is in Very Eastern PA and Zero Precautions were taken.  Many attendees were from New York, New Jersey, PA, Maryland and other states. We also attended a very crowded local brew pub between sessions.  So in answer to the question, Yes, I would attend.  We have been locked down too long already. The Lock Down, although well meaning, has severely damaged both our economy and the mental well being of our citizens.  Open things up now!  There may be subsequent waves of the virus which will result in more sickness, but Herd Immunity is the only real way to deal with the situation.

2 hours ago, Cary by the Lake said:

**** I along with my son and 2 other staunch Lehigh fans, went to the EIWAs at Stabler arena on March 6 & 7, just a few days before the first lock downs.  Attendance was between 2,500 and 3,000 for each session.  I have not had any health problems since, nor am I aware of anyone else who attended having any health issues, (I keep in touch with many wrestling fans).  There must have been Covid 19 germs flying around at that tournament, being the location is in Very Eastern PA and Zero Precautions were taken.  Many attendees were from New York, New Jersey, PA, Maryland and other states. We also attended a very crowded local brew pub between sessions.  So in answer to the question, Yes, I would attend.  We have been locked down too long already. The Lock Down, although well meaning, has severely damaged both our economy and the mental well being of our citizens.  Open things up now!  There may be subsequent waves of the virus which will result in more sickness, but Herd Immunity is the only real way to deal with the situation.

Just curious, how old are you?

Edited by PAFAN01

Attending this type of event is extremely selfish. Even though you are young/healthy and likely to survive, increasing the spread of the virus will expose people who are vulnerable and likely to be harmed (and can’t stay inside, locked up because of their jobs). Or if you are at risk as well and just want to take the risk, it’s like saying, “I’m fine to drive when drunk/high. I’m willing to take the risk.”  This isn’t just about you. 

I think most businesses should now start to open up again, but need to do so with extreme caution/limits on density. Holding crowded sporting events would be absolutely irresponsible prior to the vaccine being released/widely available (likely early to mid 2021) and would only lead to another lockdown. We’re past the worst of this thing if we all just act responsibly and like adults. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

5 hours ago, Cary by the Lake said:

Open things up now!  There may be subsequent waves of the virus which will result in more sickness, but Herd Immunity is the only real way to deal with the situation.

Cary, I see N. Carolina is posting its highest daily increase in positive cases just today, at 1017 - and the day isn't even over yet. https://www.newsweek.com/north-carolina-reports-highest-daily-coronavirus-infection-increase-state-enters-phase-2-reopening-1506194

Keep your head down buddy.  Don't be a hero.

I was one of the two staunch LEHIGH fans that was w/Cary & Son. :-D

We had a great time, and VERY glad to hear, that all were well (still) after that weekend & beyond. (Had hand sanitizer for the occasion. ;-) ) 

STILL, until notice further (until effective treatment &/or vaccine becomes available) I would avoid crowds as such... unless effective social distancing could be set up at a dual, and that's a big IF. (It would cut the attendance down... half the enjoyment was the cheering crowds @ home meets.) Have to wear a mask... I would be saving your life as well as those nearby.

Though, my last handshake to anyone before the home lock down, was too Cary. (He even offered an elbow... took the hand of a friend.)

Glad you ARE well, sir!

Happy Memorial Day weekend... stay safe.

D3  

Yeah, if it was just me I had to worry about,  I would probably go. However, I would have to worry about EVERY other person attending and inevitably risking exposing my family, considering it is a 100% guarantee that a large enough portion of those going would not follow any of the rules put in place to protect everyone. 

Inarguably, people recently exposed will knowingly still go and I wouldn’t be surprised if people that have it would still go.  Look at Wisconsin as soon as their Supreme Court overruled the order. People raced to the bar and social distancing was an afterthought. 

I think we should get into the heart of the summer and see if the heat knocks this thing out for the time being. If it does, slowly let sports start back up with limited attendance. Then phase it back in if the numbers stay down. Otherwise, why did we do ANY of this in the first place????

19 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

I think we should get into the heart of the summer and see if the heat knocks this thing out for the time being. If it does, slowly let sports start back up with limited attendance. Then phase it back in if the numbers stay down. Otherwise, why did we do ANY of this in the first place????

Look at what is happening in Brazil.

45 minutes ago, ionel said:

Look at what is happening in Brazil.

If you’re referring to the seasonal effect on the virus remember Brazil is in the Southern Hemisphere so it’s late fall heading into winter now.

6 hours ago, ionel said:

just an fyi: a mask doesn't protect you, it may help protect others if you are contagious 

Agreed and I repeat “those that do have concerns should stay home or adequately protect themselves.”

If I had a concern, there is no way that I would go.  To assume safety, 100% of the attendees and competitors would need to wear n95 masks at all times and stay 6’ apart.  Cloth coverings are not effective and people are going to raise their masks to itch, eat and drink and when they do they will expel contaminated air. 

1 hour ago, Gambatte said:

If you’re referring to the seasonal effect on the virus remember Brazil is in the Southern Hemisphere so it’s late fall heading into winter now.

Yes and thus concern is that could be us again in December, it could just keep moving around the world.

10 hours ago, Cary by the Lake said:

My friend and former boss attended an Indiana high school sectional  basketball game with a few thousand others the first week of March.  He and four others were dead from Covid19 four weeks later.  He was a great man, a loving husband, a father of three...the list goes on and on.  Google indiana, basketball, covid19, and deaths and learn all about it.  

Anyway, I think I will pass.

Edited by matts1w

1 hour ago, ionel said:

Yes and thus concern is that could be us again in December, it could just keep moving around the world.

Got it. Misunderstood your post. I agree.

Edited by Gambatte

1 hour ago, nyum said:

How many people on here know someone personally that has had covid? Based on posts, my guess is not many. 

A really good friend of mine lost 20 lbs and came within a breath of dying. Had a fever over 103 for 6 straight days.  He is 49 and in very good shape. His experience made me much more concerned than I was before. His experience made me much more concerned than I was before....