TheOhioState

Would you go to dual held today?

15 hours ago, nyum said:

How many people on here know someone personally that has had covid? Based on posts, my guess is not many. 

My wife.  Quarantined to the bedroom for a week and a half, but thankfully no respiratory issues requiring a hospitalization.  She was tested and confirmed.  Not fun playing single dad with two elementary kids who were in the middle of e-learning,  holding my own job requirements, and talking to my wife through the door when she’s worried by the next day she may need to go to the hospital daily.  She said it was just draining on her physically and mentally. She’s better now, and able to give her plasma to help others.   But is still nervous returning to work (even with Dr.’s saying she’s likely immune for at least the season) due to fear she may get it or at least get it in her and spread it to someone.  Hell, I may have had a light version of it with headache, cough, and more tired than usual for about 4 days, but I just chalked it up to something else and was never tested.  It wasn’t near as bad as her so if I did I consider myself lucky. Still tried to stay clear of the family as much as I could which was a juggling act with my wife still quarantined to ensure she was clear.  

Also, my sister-in-laws mother and father (no contact with my wife and live 45min away). Both also tested and confirmed.  He was the first case recorded in his county, but hadn’t ventured out of the city he lived in for months.  Both have recovered now but her father required a respirator and constant hospital supervision.  

Neither my wife nor them live in a major city.  Nor other then my wife working did she or go out frequently (Few trips to store no restaurants or other places) after hearing about this virus spreading in the US during the start of the spread.

So people please go out and do things if you need to like shopping and work.  Just be selective and cautious about What it is especially if it involved more public exposure.   You can always do a few outdoor things where you can be more spread out, in order to break up the boredom.  Get off your butt from the binge watching of TV, video games, or random internet surfing and do something else. Learn something new (cooking likely is good) , fix up your house (I’m sure there is something), do some family stuff, connect with people on the phone or video,  etc.  Stop seeing this as an “oh poor me” problem where you lay around most of your new free time and do some productive things while you finally have the time to do it.  

But if this time is as bad as your life is going to get then consider yourself much luckier almost everyone on this planet pre-Corona.   As former wrestlers we should at least know how to deal with the struggle and sacrifice it take to reach the greater goals. It would be nice to use that mentality now, since plenty of these none wrestlers need the example.  

Don’t live in a hole, but let’s try to at least make some logical decision that will not only help you but others. Be as cautious as you can when going out and being around others especially if you are come into contact with other friends or family members afterward.  Sure this things going to spread but there is no need to help it along and overload your local healthcare facilities if you don’t have to.  I want to know when someone does get sick the hospital staff is completely ready to focus on that person and has adequate medical supplies.   Not that those places are being stretched thin on anything due to multiple people in the area having an advanced form of this. 

Sorry if you are bored and may have to stretch your personal budget some.  But that is still a small struggle for most of you compared to getting certain family or friends very sick causing them and their family more physical, mental, and economic hardship than you are currently going through. Especially if those actions also add to the stain on your local healthcare system too, making it harder to get the best care.  

This all sucks we get it.  It going to suck for awhile regardless. Lets just try to not make to suck a lot more for some people just because some of you think you will be fine. 

Edited by MadMardigain

3 hours ago, cjc007 said:

I would go if it was an international event. If the mask was mandatory, I'd skip the event.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Why would you skip the event if a mask was mandatory?

Edited by wrestlingphish

Yes, I know people that had it - in my family.  All recovered.  Thankfully.

I think we need to balance things.  Keep economy going.  Let folks get out a bit.  BUT - need to be smart and a big crowd indoors doesn’t pass that test.  Need people to care about others ... if you have any symptom, self quarantine.  Reading about some hairstylists that were symptomatic recently and have exposed 70+ people.  That is incredibly pathetic.  

If you can’t keep some distance, wear a mask (for those around you).

So, to be clear, in many places this is not the right time for this event.  I expect it will be sooner for some geographies where the count is low but for many areas ... it will be a few months still.

So, given the hypothetical - I’m a no go.

Edited by nom

13 hours ago, nyum said:

How many people on here know someone personally that has had covid? Based on posts, my guess is not many. 

I do, and one of them died

13 hours ago, MadMardigain said:

My wife.  Quarantined to the bedroom for a week and a half, but thankfully no respiratory issues requiring a hospitalization.  She was tested and confirmed.  Not fun playing single dad with two elementary kids who were in the middle of e-learning,  holding my own job requirements, and talking to my wife through the door when she’s worried by the next day she may need to go to the hospital daily.  She said it was just draining on her physically and mentally. She’s better now, and able to give her plasma to help others.   But is still nervous returning to work (even with Dr.’s saying she’s likely immune for at least the season) due to fear she may get it or at least get it in her and spread it to someone.  Hell, I may have had a light version of it with headache, cough, and more tired than usual for about 4 days, but I just chalked it up to something else and was never tested.  It wasn’t near as bad as her so if I did I consider myself lucky. Still tried to stay clear of the family as much as I could which was a juggling act with my wife still quarantined to ensure she was clear.  

Also, my sister-in-laws mother and father (no contact with my wife and live 45min away). Both also tested and confirmed.  He was the first case in his country, but hadn’t ventured out of the city he lived in for months.  Both have recovered now but her father required a respirator and constant hospital supervision.  

Neither my wife nor them live in a major city.  Nor other then my wife working did she or go out frequently (Few trips to store no restaurants or other places) after hearing about this virus spreading in the US during the start of the spread.

So people please go out and do things if you need to like shopping and work.  Just be selective and cautious about What it is especially if it involved more public exposure.   You can always do a few outdoor things where you can be more spread out, in order to break up the boredom.  Get off your butt from the binge watching of TV, video games, or random internet surfing and do something else. Learn something new (cooking likely is good) , fix up your house (I’m sure there is something), do some family stuff, connect with people on the phone or video,  etc.  Stop seeing this as an “oh poor me” problem where you lay around most of your new free time and do some productive things while you finally have the time to do it.  

But if this time is as bad as your life is going to get then consider yourself much luckier almost everyone on this planet pre-Corona.   As former wrestlers we should at least know how to deal with the struggle and sacrifice it take to reach the greater goals. It would be nice to use that mentality now, since plenty of these none wrestlers need the example.  

Don’t live in a hole, but let’s try to at least make some logical decision that will not only help you but others. Be as cautious as you can when going out and being around others especially if you are come into contact with other friends or family members afterward.  Sure this things going to spread but there is no need to help it along and overload your local healthcare facilities if you don’t have to.  I want to know when someone does get sick the hospital staff is completely ready to focus on that person and has adequate medical supplies.   Not that those places are being stretched thin on anything due to multiple people in the area having an advanced form of this. 

Sorry if you are bored and may have to stretch your personal budget some.  But that is still a small struggle for most of you compared to getting certain family or friends very sick causing them and their family more physical, mental, and economic hardship than you are currently going through. Especially if those actions also add to the stain on your local healthcare system too, making it harder to get the best care.  

This all sucks we get it.  It going to suck for awhile regardless. Lets just try to not make to suck a lot more for some people just because some of you think you will be fine. 

He was the first case in his country, but had not left his home city?  

4 hours ago, jchapman said:

He was the first case in his country, but had not left his home city?  

Case recorded in his county.  Must have mistyped that. I’ll Re-edit it.  But yet it must have been brought in from an outside source and then spread to someplace he had visited within his city. Although he was not one to go out more than he had to, so he had some bad luck based on the situation.    

My point really was you don’t have to go to many places or even venture out of your low confirmed case zone to possibly get exposed because you may be unlucky enough to pick it up from something touched by someone coming into your area.  Which again if that mean it’s just you getting it then it’s on you but if you are the spreading it to someone else that may get it bad then it’s on you toon. 

Edited by MadMardigain

2 hours ago, MadMardigain said:

Case recorded in his county.  Must have mistyped that. I’ll Re-edit it.  But yet it must have been brought in from an outside source and then spread to someplace he had visited within his city. Although he was not one to go out more than he had to, so he had some bad luck based on the situation.    

Ok, that makes sense.

If it was today, would it be outside?   I think I’d only consider it if it was outside and with social distancing.  And even then would probably only go to something on the level of PSU vs Iowa.

3 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Remember two things:

1) The Spanish flu’s second mutation killed an estimated 50 million and infected 500 million.

2) “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” - George Santayana

1.  WW1, the new U.S. involvement and massive troop movements was the main cause of the 2nd wave but... #2.  Do you remember the past?

3 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Remember two things:

1) The Spanish flu’s second mutation killed an estimated 50 million and infected 500 million.

2) “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” - George Santayana

This is not influenza.

Most fatalities from La Grippe reportedly were from bacterial pneumonia and other secondary infections.  We have antibiotics now.

What happened to SARS-1?

One of my bail recovery agents died at 42 years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also attended the EIWA tournament at Lehigh; I was on the road, staying in PA and at my Mom's house in NJ, for nearly a week.  When my son and I left for Bethlehem there were no deaths and very few confirmed cases; that was all still in the future.  Doesn't mean we weren't thinking about it, though, especially after hearing that about 100 regular attendees didn't come due to Covid-19 fears.  While we were there we heard of the first confirmed cases in NJ and PA; the day we drove back VA confirmed its first case.  The day after we got back home the NCAA tournament was canceled.  BTW, I don't think we came close to 3,000 attendees at any point in the tournament; not with so many seats not deployed.

I don't personally know anyone who has had the virus.  Bedford County, VA, where I live, has had just 41 confirmed cases and two deaths (pop. 85,000); just four new cases in the past two weeks.  My sister and mother live in New Jersey, which is the current hot spot in the northeast.  They don't go anywhere.  Three weeks ago tomorrow I sat in on the spring EIWA coaches' meeting, held on Zoom (something I did not know existed four weeks ago).  As I joined, Hofstra head coach Dennis Papadatos was telling the others how his father had recently passed away from Covid-19, and both his mother and brother had been ill with it for more than a month.  So they all had the virus before the end of March.

I'm making as few trips out as I can and wearing a mask every time I go into a store, and I try to keep my distance.  My personal feeling is that anyone who would attend a sporting event (or any other discretionary event) and not wear a mask has rocks in the head.  We're nowhere near being over this thing.  The life you save by playing it safe may be your own; even more important, it may be mine.

jdalu75 -

I couldn’t agree more with your position.  I won’t repeat your thoughts, although I am tempted. I am taking the same precaution.

I am longing/eager/desperate to see NCAA Wrestling but it’s just not a priority considering the overall situation which is still very dire.

Things got crazy here in Missouri this past Holiday weekend .... where I live at the “Lake of the Ozarks” (see CNN, Twitter, etc).

I would be surprised to see any wrestling in 2020, but am hopeful we can get to a point of at least having a “partial” Season & 2021 NCAA Tourney.

Edited by Show_Me