TheOhioState

Would you go to dual held today?

Dr. Fauci recently announced that hundreds of millions of doses of the vaccine should be ready by the beginning of the year.  Based on preliminary data, it seems more likely than not that this vaccine will be safe/effective (if it isn’t the timeline will be pushed back to wait for a different strategy).  So I’m now more optimistic than ever that even though I still wouldn’t attend a dual today, I will be able to at some point of this next ncaa wrestling season. 

22 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Dr. Fauci recently announced that hundreds of millions of doses of the vaccine should be ready by the beginning of the year.  Based on preliminary data, it seems more likely than not that this vaccine will be safe/effective (if it isn’t the timeline will be pushed back to wait for a different strategy).  So I’m now more optimistic than ever that even though I still wouldn’t attend a dual today, I will be able to at some point of this next ncaa wrestling season. 

Yeah, sounds like there are several other candidates not far behind the one that is furthest along in the process.

18 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

I think I mentioned this before somewhere but even if that would be true (and the most recent number I hear from Fauci is 100meg although we were hearing earlier figures of 200-400m) that isn't just for the US. And think of it this way. assuming they have started production that means that number should be divided by 6 months to figure the monthly production number and realize that after the first batch is dispersed we could be seeing fewer than 30 mil a month.

1 minute ago, gimpeltf said:

I think I mentioned this before somewhere but even if that would be true (and the most recent number I hear from Fauci is 100meg although we were hearing earlier figures of 200-400m) that isn't just for the US. And think of it this way. assuming they have started production that means that number should be divided by 6 months to figure the monthly production number and realize that after the first batch is dispersed we could be seeing fewer than 30 mil a month.

Fauci specifically said hundreds of millions, and yes, this would be specifically for the US. Moderna is a US-based company and although the fact that we pay the most in the world for medicine is generally a bad thing, it means we will get initial access to the vaccine. Other companies like Biontech, which use the same strategy but are slightly behind Moderna, are likely to be more euro-focused in their launch. 

in terms of monthly production, you are not accounting for the fact that production  capacity will increase over the coming months, so even if the monthly average is 30 million, by January it may be a hundred million or more. 

1 minute ago, Billyhoyle said:

Fauci specifically said hundreds of millions, and yes, this would be specifically for the US. Moderna is a US-based company and although the fact that we pay the most in the world for medicine is generally a bad thing, it means we will get initial access to the vaccine. Other companies like Biontech, which use the same strategy but are slightly behind Moderna, are likely to be more euro-focused in their launch. 

in terms of monthly production, you are not accounting for the fact that production  capacity will increase over the coming months, so even if the monthly average is 30 million, by January it may be a hundred million or more. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/coronavirus-updates-us-should-have-100m-vaccine-doses-by-end-of-year-fauci-says/ar-BB14XQaD?ocid=anaheim-ntp-feeds

4 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

One was end of year one was beginning of next. I see. And the better news is here he is saying the US should have that many not what I was hearing earlier which didn't specify the US and made it sound like would need to be for the world.

The US is actually paying a number of companies to produce large quantities of vaccine even before the release of phase 3 data. This is unheard of and ensures both rapid production when efficacy is proven and the US market getting initial access. It is an outstanding program. 

Just now, Billyhoyle said:

The US is actually paying a number of companies to produce large quantities of vaccine even before the release of phase 3 data. This is unheard of and ensures both rapid production when efficacy is proven and the US market getting initial access. It is an outstanding program. 

It's remarkable what they came up with. Hopefully, it all does work. I knew they were producing in advance  which is why I mentioned the current per month.

Just now, gimpeltf said:

It's remarkable what they came up with. Hopefully, it all does work. I knew they were producing in advance  which is why I mentioned the current per month.

It’s actually extremely fortuitous because the technology behind the RNA vaccine being used by Moderna and Biontech was part of a DARPA program that was created to develop technology that can rapidly be deployed in the field and respond to a biological military weapon. In other words, the government saw military applications for rapid vaccine development and we are now benefitting from it.  The timelines we are currently seeing would have been unthinkable/impossible as recently as 5 years ago. 

It’s also interesting because NIH/NSF are not currently designed for such ambitious programs and generally fund more incremental research. Because of the success of DARPA, Congress is trying to expand NSF to include a similar program to fund the development of non military technology.  

So yeah, we may be able to thank the military for the 2021 wrestling season. 

6 hours ago, vegetable lasagna said:

sounds like these pharma outfits and their stockholders are about to make bank off of covid-19.... 

weird...

a bug that only affects an infinitesimal amount of our population that has caused an international panic response propagated by an agenda fueled media is going to ultimately end up lining the pockets of some fat cats???

say it aint so, joe...

anyway, all you chicken littles keep hiding from the imaginary boogie bug...

next weekend my boy terry is putting on a tournament... the son and i will be traveling to SD to throw some kids on their heads...

we will go... we will have a good time... we will come back... everything will be as it was...

14 hours ago, vegetable lasagna said:

sounds like these pharma outfits and their stockholders are about to make bank off of covid-19.... 

Will they still make bank if they produce millions of doses of a vaccine that doesn’t work?  (Not saying it won’t work, just curious)

Edited by 1032004

7 hours ago, LJB said:

weird...

a bug that only affects an infinitesimal amount of our population that has caused an international panic response propagated by an agenda fueled media is going to ultimately end up lining the pockets of some fat cats???

say it aint so, joe...

anyway, all you chicken littles keep hiding from the imaginary boogie bug...

next weekend my boy terry is putting on a tournament... the son and i will be traveling to SD to throw some kids on their heads...

we will go... we will have a good time... we will come back... everything will be as it was...

Austin Gomez’s dad has it.

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/iowa-state-cyclones/isu-athletics-department-announces-positive-covid-19-result-20200603?template=amphtml

3 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Will they still make bank if they produce millions of doses of a vaccine that doesn’t work?  (Not saying it won’t work, just curious)

Of course they will...

and, should their vaccine injure lots of people, they will still make bank... as vaccine producers are "immune" from liabilty for such injuries. When it happens, the federal govt  foots the bill thru the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program (aka, our tax dollars).