Sign in to follow this  
Wrestleknownothing

Does the uncertainty lead to more redshirting?

If you are a wrestler who is concerned that the 2020-21 season will be significantly altered as a result of COVID-19 and you still have an unused redshirt, are you more likely to use it and wait to see if 2021-2022 is any better?

If you think so, who is likely to exercise the option?

Those redshirts are limited and coaches would have to shuffle what lineup they could live with if a season In some for does occur later in the season.  So that hinders who all may get one.  A better question is likely will more incoming freshman talk to their coach about postponing their scholarship so they can take a grey shirt year due to the uncertainty of a season?

Edited by MadMardigain

I was kinda thinking the opposite, to be honest. With the future of college wrestling potentially in jeopardy due to the financial ramifications of covid, particularly for mid-majors, I was thinking there would be far less redshirts this year and everyone would want to compete while they can.

1 hour ago, lurk_nowitzki said:

I was kinda thinking the opposite, to be honest. With the future of college wrestling potentially in jeopardy due to the financial ramifications of covid, particularly for mid-majors, I was thinking there would be far less redshirts this year and everyone would want to compete while they can.

Interesting 

15 hours ago, MadMardigain said:

Those redshirts are limited and coaches would have to shuffle what lineup they could live with if a season In some for does occur later in the season.  So that hinders who all may get one.  A better question is likely will more incoming freshman talk to their coach about postponing their scholarship so they can take a grey shirt year due to the uncertainty of a season?

I wasn't aware that there is a limit on the number of redshirts a team can have. I thought it was a rule applying to the individual only.

I didn't think about the grey shirt angle either. I think your right. That could see an uptick as well.

46 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I wasn't aware that there is a limit on the number of redshirts a team can have. I thought it was a rule applying to the individual only.

I didn't think about the grey shirt angle either. I think your right. That could see an uptick as well.

Well I’m not sure I’d there is a specific percent or number, but coaches still has to have enough eligible athletes per weight to field a team for that season so that would limit who all can be granted one.   As well they have to make sure they have not overloaded their teams allowed roster size, logjam a certain weight class, and/or the teams scholarship allowance in future years.   So in that instance there can only be so many redshirts you can really give out per year to make it all work out.

I’m going to assume if their is no season all together the NCAA may allow anyone with a redshirt to use it, although I’m not sure they they give everone an additional year.  But even if the NCAA allows those Redshirt opportunities it still causes the coaches to shuffle out how that will effect future lineups and scholarship money.  So, it may not work out great for everyone.

Edited by MadMardigain

5 hours ago, lurk_nowitzki said:

This may be true for the mid majors but shouldn’t be the case for the top programs.

So who are some of the most high profile returners with redshirts available (not counting Ivy guys, and not saying any of these will use them)?

Spencer Lee

Austin DeSanto

RBY

Nick Lee (I think he only grayshirted?)

Aaron Brooks

Abe Assad

Echemendia 

Steveson 

Parris

Good point. I think more people will take a redshirt if it looks like they are still doing shutdowns anytime there is a spike in cases. I don’t think any of the top Iowa guys will because they need to win a team title. Penn state probably isn’t ready to concede so I’m guessing they put their best line up out as well. For just about every other team, I could see more redshirts happening

2 minutes ago, Alwayswrestling said:

I think they should be able to use a RSif available even if they wrestle if the post season tournaments are cancelled.

Well considering that didn’t happen this year, seems doubtful it would happen next year.

20 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Nick Lee (I think he only grayshirted?)

No grey-shirt For Nick.  He left Indiana his senior year to finish his HS courses while train at NLWC.  Then began PSU the next season as a true freshman.  

You may have mixed his progression up with his  brother Joe.  He did a similar move as a HS senior then a grey-shirt year before a red-shirt this year.  

1 hour ago, MadMardigain said:

No grey-shirt For Nick.  He left Indiana his senior year to finish his HS courses while train at NLWC.  Then began PSU the next season as a true freshman.  

You may have mixed his progression up with his  brother Joe.  He did a similar move as a HS senior then a grey-shirt year before a red-shirt this year.  

Thanks, you’re right.  I was thinking of Nick, but was going off of wrestlestat where he had “unknown” results so was assuming it must’ve been grayshirt, but forgot he did the senior year thing.

On 5/24/2020 at 7:40 AM, lurk_nowitzki said:

Abd give a special invite to killin moore. Just him.