Sign in to follow this  
Housebuye

Ohio State is vastly underrated

FRL is out there saying Ohio State is unlike to make the podium. 

Ranking services have them around #10

Granted there are many excellent teams with much greater parity than we have seen in the last decade, but man Ohio State’s lineup could challenger even Iowa. 

125 - multiple solid options. Malik was coming into his own at the end of the season too, plus Koontz (multiple ranked 133 wins) 0 points in rankings up to 8 points

133 - if Decatur pans out like he should, he goes from untanked to AA points  0 points in rankings up to 8 points

141 - if Echemedia pans out... 0 points in rankings up to 20 points

149 - Sasso is ranked fairly. Title contender

157 - could be a hole, but Kinner is excellent. He’d be better at 141 or 149 but he can’t win those spots. Cleary is solid but won’t score points. Kinner could if he is big enough. His op game will do a lot of damage. If Smith or Karchla cut down, they are serious AA threats  

165 - title contender potentially? Karchla is most likely in this slot. They have 2 guys who can AA here. Potentially +20

174 - Romero was coming into his own last season and had a solid seed. He is clearly an AA threat and may be able to place as high as 4th

184 - you could see the potential in Rocky. He also came on strong at the end of the season, qualifying for NCAAs. Could AA if he keeps improving. +8

197 - Singletary was a R12ish type guy at heavyweight, weighing 220. At 197 he could very well AA. It is yet again a weak class. +10

285 - Tate starts the season ranked to AA and should live up to a 4-8 placement. 

Ohio State has a guy at every weight who could AA. All should qualify, and they have serious upside at 125, 133, 141 (could be biggest jump), 165 (huge potential), 184, and 197. They are in a similar position to Cornell next season. 

133 and 141 get much tougher next year with the olympic redshirt kids returning. Decatur got manhandled by DeSanto, who will be lucky to AA himself. Echmencia is already going toe to toe with Eierman on twitter, just needs it to carry over to the mat.

Is Ke-Shawn Hayes done?

3 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

133 and 141 get much tougher next year with the olympic redshirt kids returning. Decatur got manhandled by DeSanto, who will be lucky to AA himself. Echmencia is already going toe to toe with Eierman on twitter, just needs it to carry over to the mat.

Is Ke-Shawn Hayes done?

Yeah I’m being optimistic about Decatur at 133. That weight is stacked. I also think Suriano is returning, but that’s just a guess. 

I hope the season isn’t too abbreviated (meaning the virus is under control - not suggesting they should do anything unsafe). A guy like Echemedia needs to get folk matches in vs D1 guys and get used to getting ridden and turned by the best top guys in the world. Without that, I think he will take an early loss at NCAAs to a random good not great guy, because of their top game. He needs the reps in my opinion. He would get smashed in folk today by Eierman. Eierman can catch anyone. He caught Yianni in a cradle in folk! Hoping that changes once Ech gets more expirience. I also think Yianni will move up, otherwise Ech wouldn’t be a title contender. 

yes Hayes is done from what I understand. 

I disagree that Kinner "can't win the spot" at 141  - If he does that changes some things at 157. Not sure who can make it down or if Cleary will be improved. 

3 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Granted there are many excellent teams with much greater parity than we have seen in the last decade, but man Ohio State’s lineup could challenger even Iowa. 

125 - multiple solid options. Malik was coming into his own at the end of the season too, plus Koontz (multiple ranked 133 wins) 0 points in rankings up to 8 points

133 - if Decatur pans out like he should, he goes from untanked to AA points  0 points in rankings up to 8 points

157 - could be a hole, but Kinner is excellent. He’d be better at 141 or 149 but he can’t win those spots. Cleary is solid but won’t score points. Kinner could if he is big enough. His op game will do a lot of damage. If Smith or Karchla cut down, they are serious AA threats  

165 - title contender potentially? Karchla is most likely in this slot. They have 2 guys who can AA here. Potentially +20

174 - Romero was coming into his own last season and had a solid seed. He is clearly an AA threat and may be able to place as high as 4th

184 - you could see the potential in Rocky. He also came on strong at the end of the season, qualifying for NCAAs. Could AA if he keeps improving. +8

197 - Singletary was a R12ish type guy at heavyweight, weighing 220. At 197 he could very well AA. It is yet again a weak class. +10

285 - Tate starts the season ranked to AA and should live up to a 4-8 placement. 

Ohio State has a guy at every weight who could AA. All should qualify, and they have serious upside at 125, 133, 141 (could be biggest jump), 165 (huge potential), 184, and 197. They are in a similar position to Cornell next season. 

I agree Karchla is tough but the top tier at 165 is going to be hard to crack, you have Lewis coming off Olympic redshirt, the bull is back and throw in Griffith , Wick and Massa, I think karchla can compete for titles in his career but not next year 

at 285 orndorff is ranked 8th currently but he’s also ahead of Elam, Kerkvelet and Lewis Fernandes all guys who probably beat him 

Ohio state is probably a year or 2 , and another recruiting class away from being back in the mix for a team title 

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

Decatur looked like he weighed 110 when DeSanto tossed him around like a JV ragdoll. I hope he he been drinking his protein shakes twice a day.

Looks are deceiving.  133 is a tough cut for him.

55 minutes ago, Sstern said:

Looks are deceiving.  133 is a tough cut for him.

Yep - I have heard this said several times. Commentators mentioned it during the ASU dual I believe. - reason for his 3rd period problems. 

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

He better or he will never start

He could redshirt this year and start next year at 141 with sasso going up to 157 which I think was always the plan eventually and AE going up to 149, 141 has to be a hell of cut for that guy 

51 minutes ago, pamela said:

Are the Decaturs going to be on scholly next year? Idk if they will want to RS. 

Ryan put the Decaturs and gas tank Gary on scholarship when Kerkvelet money came off the books 2nd semester last season..Flo has a video of him telling them in front of the whole team 

2 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

He could redshirt this year and start next year at 141 with sasso going up to 157 which I think was always the plan eventually and AE going up to 149, 141 has to be a hell of cut for that guy 

AE weighs 150 without cutting.

I take morning deuces bigger than what he needs to cut to make 141 

Edited by nhs67

Are Flo’s team rankings just based on point totals from the individual rankings?  I think they basically admitted Echemendia should probably be in there he just hasn’t beaten anyone yet.

2 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Ryan put the Decaturs and gas tank Gary on scholarship when Kerkvelet money came off the books 2nd semester last season..Flo has a video of him telling them in front of the whole team 

Thanks! I remember you mentioning it not long ago. I misunderstood and thought the scholarships were temporary.

3 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Are Flo’s team rankings just based on point totals from the individual rankings?  I think they basically admitted Echemendia should probably be in there he just hasn’t beaten anyone yet.

Yes

14 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Is Ke-Shawn Hayes done?

His English must have gotten a lot better. 

On 5/26/2020 at 5:03 AM, Housebuye said:

If you feel Ohio State is vastly underrated where would you rank them then? Stack them against the top 9 teams individually as well as collectively and rank them accordingly. Going through their line up saying how good they are doesnt really do much to argue that theyre underrated because it ignores what the higher ranked teams bring to the table.

17 hours ago, nhs67 said:

AE weighs 150 without cutting.

I take morning deuces bigger than what he needs to cut to make 141 

You take 4.08+ keggers poops? DUDE. Eat some fiber!

Personally, I think they have been over rated the past few years regardless of their end of season finishes.

I think they are one of the top programs in danger of being passed over by other programs.