Sign in to follow this  
buckeyehomer

Iowa Mocco Question

I don't know why, but every once and a while I think of a random question from a while back that drives me crazy.

Steve Mocco wins a title for Iowa in 03 right? To my knowledge, he then takes an Olympic Redshirt and then transfers to Okie State after not becoming the Olympic Rep.

My question is this, Iowa had lost at nationals 3 years in a row, Zaleski had to of been feeling some heat right? Why let a defending national champ redshirt? I am sure there are things I don't know, just wondering if anyone could shed some light on the situation? 

11 minutes ago, buckeyehomer said:

I don't know why, but every once and a while I think of a random question from a while back that drives me crazy.

Steve Mocco wins a title for Iowa in 03 right? To my knowledge, he then takes an Olympic Redshirt and then transfers to Okie State after not becoming the Olympic Rep.

My question is this, Iowa had lost at nationals 3 years in a row, Zaleski had to of been feeling some heat right? Why let a defending national champ redshirt? I am sure there are things I don't know, just wondering if anyone could shed some light on the situation? 

You don't 'let' someone Olympic red-shirt. They leave school. I suppose there could be other ramifications but still.

Maybe Z was banking on having an Olympic medalist on his roster. I guess he could have gone about it the way Brands and Lee are doing it now, but it's hard not to let a kid go all in and take a shot at the sport's biggest prize