Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
fadzaev2

Remembering my first World Cup of Wrestling 1973

Recommended Posts

Great stuff.  I have only one rare distinction in college wrestling.  I wrestled most of my career at 150, and at Central State U in Edmond, but my first two matches in the 8 minute era were at 158 and Heavyweight (Unlimited)  I'm officially 2-0 for your Oklahoma State Cowboys, hehe.   Before all of you youngsters start, I know that even though I weighed in at 158 and went up 4 weight classes after weigh-in, it was not illegal then.  I'm sure others have done it, but probably not too many.  Anyway, I always come back to this.  How does the world not demand to see Russia vs USA,  Iran vs USA, Turkey vs USA,  AZE vs USA, I'll bet we could fill a 20 K facility here for those duals at 100 bucks a ticket for the two day event. We have a damned good program and we're the only real challenge the Russians have.  I often bring up that a lot of us would pay a small ppv fee to watch something like that.  I mean 15 bucks or so x a million would spread a lot of cheese, and I think in this day and age a decent promotion could achieve that easily, maybe more by keeping it low priced than something like a ufc fight where you out price many wrestling fans.  Could pay for the other teams transportation and lodging.  Use it for seeding in the World rankings if all the teams agree, but just bring this to us.  

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, fullnelson said:

Between Andiev and Gobedshivilli, it was Chamiskov (sp), also at that time was an up and coming Pole that stood about 7 ft tall (Sandursky) who lost in the finals to Chamiskov

The next year they put in the 286 wt class which about emaciated the Pole, who before was weighing around 330. FILA almost dropped it to 275, until hearing that Karelin could have issues making weight. Being the draw for the sport that Karelin already generated, FILA quickly changed to 286.

I thought they initially went 120kg=264.

At some point, Chasimikov picked up  someone and did a helicopter with him. We kidded that if he did that with Sandursky we thought they would take off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fullnelson said:

Between Andiev and Gobedshivilli, it was Chamiskov (sp), also at that time was an up and coming Pole that stood about 7 ft tall (Sandursky) who lost in the finals to Chamiskov

The next year they put in the 286 wt class which about emaciated the Pole, who before was weighing around 330. FILA almost dropped it to 275, until hearing that Karelin could have issues making weight. Being the draw for the sport that Karelin already generated, FILA quickly changed to 286.

Why, when you Google Chamiskov and Sandursky, does nothing come up????  Watched Andiev and Gobedshvili numerous times...these other 2....never heard of them.......asking for a friend.  Fadz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, fadzaev2 said:

Why, when you Google Chamiskov and Sandursky, does nothing come up????  Watched Andiev and Gobedshvili numerous times...these other 2....never heard of them.......asking for a friend.  Fadz

I got zip googling both together for some reason. Doing chasimikov singly brought up the above video

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

I got zip googling both together for some reason. Doing chasimikov singly brought up the above video

You know what you are right.....your spelling is off....check this out....it's Hashimikov, and for some reason, I don't remember him, but he was the real deal....I'm going to do more research on this one. I remember Andiev and Gobedshvili but not Hashmikov.....maybe because he was so deceiving looking....check this out, he was a 4 time world champion!!!!! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salman_Hashimikov

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bruce's first world medal was a Bronze in '83 in Kiev, where Hashmikov won his last Gold.  It was the beginning of Bruce's incredible run of 13 World/Olympic Medals....Andiev was before that, and Gobedshvili joined the "party" in 1985, and medaled 5 times/Olympics and World Championships.  Bruce and David wrestled each other at a number of World Cups and in the 1989 Grand World Wrestling Championship in Pittsburgh, which I went to.  It's all becoming much clearer now....LOL :)  Fadz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, fadzaev2 said:

You know what you are right.....your spelling is off....check this out....it's Hashimikov, and for some reason, I don't remember him, but he was the real deal....I'm going to do more research on this one. I remember Andiev and Gobedshvili but not Hashmikov.....maybe because he was so deceiving looking....check this out, he was a 4 time world champion!!!!! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salman_Hashimikov

It's been spelled different ways. You can see the video spelled same as I did. With the C is how we saw it in San Diego in 79 and Edmonton in 82. I did notice this spelling years later.

I remember when he walked out to warm up in San Diego. The group I was with gasped when we saw him. I remember saying- How are we supposed to beat THAT! He was almost literally a block of granite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

It's been spelled different ways. You can see the video spelled same as I did. With the C is how we saw it in San Diego in 79 and Edmonton in 82. I did notice this spelling years later.

I remember when he walked out to warm up in San Diego. The group I was with gasped when we saw him. I remember saying- How are we supposed to beat THAT! He was almost literally a block of granite.

All the Russian names have been spelled different ways...you are right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

It's been spelled different ways. You can see the video spelled same as I did. With the C is how we saw it in San Diego in 79 and Edmonton in 82. I did notice this spelling years later.

I remember when he walked out to warm up in San Diego. The group I was with gasped when we saw him. I remember saying- How are we supposed to beat THAT! He was almost literally a block of granite.

Just out of curiosity gimpeltf, who is your favorite Russian, or even top 5?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fadzaev2 said:

All the Russian names have been spelled different ways...you are right.

I believe mainly because Cyrillic is more phonetic. English is one of the most difficult languages to deal with because you can't predict selling vs pronunciation. I remember when Sergei was here he told me how Russian was- you hear it you spell it (or something like that).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fadzaev2 said:

Just out of curiosity gimpeltf, who is your favorite Russian, or even top 5?

I'm rounding up to Soviets.

1. Sergei. Both because of physical ability and skill, and because I got to know him pretty well for the ~5 years at Lehigh. When we first got to see him in 79, we noticed how he showed his emotions on the mat. Most of the Soviets seemed pretty controlled during competition by comparison.

2. Saitiev-  anyone that can even think about doing a cartwheel to get out of a double AND

animation-21.gif

3. I suppose if I have Sergei here I can't let Anatoly be too far behind.

4. Tediashvili. If he would have kept his weight down better he might have kept winning. Turns out in the small world department, my neighbor across the street was the caretaker of the 106 year old resident (just passed a few weeks ago) and is an immigrant from Georgia. Her son works as a mechanic and happened to work on Tedi-bears car. She was stunned when I told her I knew who he was.

5. Yarygin. He was pretty much unstoppable. I remember him wrestling Sefter (Princeton) in a dual. Sefter may have had the best double in the country at the time. He kept bouncing off. Obviously great physical ability but later we realized he must have also been quite the technician. He took over the coaching from Shakmuradov (best between period towel technique in the world- maybe tied with Dziedzic)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

I'm rounding up to Soviets.

1. Sergei. Both because of physical ability and skill, and because I got to know him pretty well for the ~5 years at Lehigh. When we first got to see him in 79, we noticed how he showed his emotions on the mat. Most of the Soviets seemed pretty controlled during competition by comparison.

2. Saitiev-  anyone that can even think about doing a cartwheel to get out of a double AND

animation-21.gif

3. I suppose if I have Sergei here I can't let Anatoly be too far behind.

4. Tediashvili. If he would have kept his weight down better he might have kept winning. Turns out in the small world department, my neighbor across the street was the caretaker of the 106 year old resident (just passed a few weeks ago) and is an immigrant from Georgia. Her son works as a mechanic and happened to work on Tedi-bears car. She was stunned when I told her I knew who he was.

5. Yarygin. He was pretty much unstoppable. I remember him wrestling Sefter (Princeton) in a dual. Sefter may have had the best double in the country at the time. He kept bouncing off. Obviously great physical ability but later we realized he must have also been quite the technician. He took over the coaching from Shakmuradov (best between period towel technique in the world- maybe tied with Dziedzic)

Great answers!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...