Sign in to follow this  
Administrator

Archive Match of the Day: 1990 Goodwill Games USA v/s Russia

All matches are in the playlist have a great weekend and Enjoy.

Special notes on this dual. 

1. John Smith (USA) vs Stepan Sarkissian (RUS) Always a great match

2. Other great matchups: Nate Carr (USA) vs Arsen Fadzaev (RUS), Kenny Monday (USA) vs Elmadi Zhabrailov (RUS), and Bruce Baumgartner (USA) vs David Gobedishvili (RUS)

3. Rob Koll beat Kenny Monday in the wrestle off for the dual team so Monday, who was the 1989 World Champ at 74 KG,  was bumped up to 82 KG.

What an exciting dual!  Soviets even sent their best guy at most weights, something we don't get to witness nowadays as much.  Both teams were loaded up and down the lineup with World & Olympic Champs.  Thanks for posting!

On 5/29/2020 at 9:17 AM, Administrator said:

2. Other great matchups: Nate Carr (USA) vs Arsen Fadzaev (RUS)...

really enjoying these matches, but Carr v Fadz might have been a matchup of great names, but it was not a great match... Spoiler alert.. Carr is disqualified with three passivities. I am not expert level analyst, but have watch a lot of wrestling and it is not obvious to me why the calls were made each time. once again today's rules are much better. You can compliance about the shot clock, but it is a vast improvement

It was a bad dual as far as passivities were concerned.  Kenny Monday and Jabrailov (both 89' world champs) were eliminated at the same time this meet, having gotten their 3rd cautions simultaneously wrestling each other at 82kg.

Edited by Nutterbutter

Thanks for posting.

That was a really fun event, one that I was lucky to witness in person. 

Little did I know--as a 13 year-old--that future me would wrestle with and get to know the some of the Canadian team very well in college.