MonagFam

What are matches that should have taken place, but never happened?

I initially asked this on the collegiate board and had every intention of asking it here, but I just didn't get around to it.  I imagine there are a lot of matches that never took place for one reason or another throughout the international career of wrestlers.  Olympics have been boycotted and I imagine just the way international competition is handled, there are scenarios where two top wrestlers in the same weight class at the same time just never happened.

What are some of the bigger ones?  What are some of the matches that should have happened, but we were deprived of seeing?

It seems like international competitions are based around one representative per country,  so what about just two wrestlers that you know would have made a fun match regardless of whether they were the top wrestler for their country?  Maybe some amazing potential match between the second best American and the third best Russian?

Dake and Taylor vs. anyone the last 7ish years. I honestly believe the US has had 3 of the top 5-10 wrestlers globally at 74 since 2013, but because neither entered many tourneys we did not get the chance to see exactly where they stacked up.

On 5/30/2020 at 5:05 PM, pamela said:

If I remember correctly, JO say out of two consecutive worlds and all the UWW tournaments in-between. He might have brought home some hardware if he was our 65kg rep, but who knows

What about all the other years he wrestled and didn’t make the team? People give him a lot of credit when he’s been on the Senior Circuit for a long time without ever making a team. 

2 hours ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

What about all the other years he wrestled and didn’t make the team? People give him a lot of credit when he’s been on the Senior Circuit for a long time without ever making a team. 

I think Oliver might be a guy who matches up well internationally, but stuggles a bit domestically due to style. I always felt this way about Coleman Scott back in the day. He was consistently beat by guys like Bunch and Zadick who never really made a dent at worlds (I know Zadick had a 2006 medal, but was ineffective during the time period I'm talking about), but I felt his style was better internationally. He made 1 team and medalled, and was very competitive with Asgarov in the semis. Never made a team after that.

I think Oliver might have snagged a medal or two during all those years he couldn't get past Metcalf. No way to know. The other issue with him is consistency. At his best, he was world class, but often didn't meet that level. 

9 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

I think Oliver might be a guy who matches up well internationally, but stuggles a bit domestically due to style. I always felt this way about Coleman Scott back in the day. He was consistently beat by guys like Bunch and Zadick who never really made a dent at worlds (I know Zadick had a 2006 medal, but was ineffective during the time period I'm talking about), but I felt his style was better internationally. He made 1 team and medalled, and was very competitive with Asgarov in the semis. Never made a team after that.

I think Oliver might have snagged a medal or two during all those years he couldn't get past Metcalf. No way to know. The other issue with him is consistency. At his best, he was world class, but often didn't meet that level. 

Maybe so, but the guy didn’t travel abroad very often to see how he stacked up. 

On 6/2/2020 at 8:52 PM, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

Maybe so, but the guy didn’t travel abroad very often to see how he stacked up. 

Definitely, but the whole point of this thread is to speculate about things that never happened.

Ramos/Graff in FS.  They both did well in so many of the same tournaments.... almost statistically unfathomable this never happened.  Even the match where he retired, Ramos would have faced Graff next if he had won.

12 hours ago, rpm002 said:

Ramos/Graff in FS.  They both did well in so many of the same tournaments.... almost statistically unfathomable this never happened.  Even the match where he retired, Ramos would have faced Graff next if he had won.

Not to nitpick but They competed at different weight classes the majority of years

On 6/9/2020 at 10:15 PM, Cradle1 said:

Not to nitpick but They competed at different weight classes the majority of years

2018 was the only year they were at different weights.

If Graff would have beaten Dennis, they would have met in the OTT finals in 2016

If Graff would have won the Challenge tournament (lost 1-1 to Gilman), they would have met in the WTT finals in 2017

If Ramos would have beaten Joey Palmer, they would have met in the 3rd place match at the US Open in 2019

If Ramos would have beaten Megaludis, they would have met at WTT in 2019

I believe there was also 1-2 other smaller tournaments (Farrell, Schultz, etc) where they were close to meeting as well.

On 5/31/2020 at 11:19 AM, irani said:

Several US wrestlers vs 1980 medal winners

Several Russian wrestlers vs 1984 medal winners

The US boycott and subsequent Russia boycott killed many Olympic dreams and put an asterisk next to a lot of gold medals. 

Fadsaev still made the world finals of 89.  I am not convinced Smith could do the same.  A one time match Smith could maybe have kept close but I doubt he could have grinded 6 plus matches at 149 lbs.  Only my opinion of course.