Sign in to follow this  
iwrite

Abe Lincoln wrestling artwork

For those of you who read the first Lincoln wrestling post, I thought you might want to see this beautiful artwork done by noted illustrator Jack Bender some 20 years ago. It shows Abe wrestling Jack Armstrong in New Salem, Illinois, in 1831. the event is an amazing story and was told Friday by author/historian Mike Chapman on the national radio show called Our American Stories, which has an audience estimated at close to 3 million. You can find it by going to the show's web site and searching in the archives.

lincoln wrestling.jpg

14 hours ago, PinFallRecruit said:

Fun Fact - I grew up in Petersburg, IL, which is a right next to New Salem where we would take our school field trip EVERY year... We took our team wrestling poster picture there one year reenacting this photo.

As a pretty big U.S. History/Lincoln/Civil War buff I had my family take the grand tour of Springfield a couple years back.  Unfortunately, due to an area tornado that came through the prior night we were too exhausted from lack of sleep (FYI the round Wyndham hotel Gets pretty creeky in windstorms) to visit New Salam before heading home.  Hopefully  next time we go through the area.  

MadMardigain -- Hopefully you can visit New Salem soon. It is a fascinating place for any history buff. When you walk through the main gate you feel like you are back in the 1830s. The village has been recreated to look just like it did when 22-year-old Abe Lincoln strolled down the same path in 1831. And you can stand on the very spot between the Offutt and Clary stores where Abe tangled with Jack Armstrong. Two years ago, I was there with one of my best friends, Mark Johnson (former head coach at Illinois, 1980 Olympian, ass't to Gable at Iowa and 2-time NCAA All-American at Michigan) and Mark said it was a moving experience. I go to New Salem every other year just to feel the history. To listen to an account of the Lincoln-Armstrong match, you can go to "Our American Stories" web site archives and pull up the radio segment that I recorded last week. Also, my booklet "The Sport of Lincoln" describes the encounter, the events leading up to it, and also has numerous photos and artwork about the match. -- Mike Chapman

12 hours ago, iwrite said:

MadMardigain -- Hopefully you can visit New Salem soon. It is a fascinating place for any history buff. When you walk through the main gate you feel like you are back in the 1830s. The village has been recreated to look just like it did when 22-year-old Abe Lincoln strolled down the same path in 1831. And you can stand on the very spot between the Offutt and Clary stores where Abe tangled with Jack Armstrong. Two years ago, I was there with one of my best friends, Mark Johnson (former head coach at Illinois, 1980 Olympian, ass't to Gable at Iowa and 2-time NCAA All-American at Michigan) and Mark said it was a moving experience. I go to New Salem every other year just to feel the history. To listen to an account of the Lincoln-Armstrong match, you can go to "Our American Stories" web site archives and pull up the radio segment that I recorded last week. Also, my booklet "The Sport of Lincoln" describes the encounter, the events leading up to it, and also has numerous photos and artwork about the match. -- Mike Chapman

Thanks Mike.  I check out the items you shared.  And New Salem is definitely on my to do list, as I’ve visited almost every other Lincoln site around the county other than that.