Sign in to follow this  
Bronco

Arizona State adds 3 time NM champ - Tristan Mascarenas

1 hour ago, uncle bernard said:

Didn't he have an older brother who was ranked first in the country at one point? I think his name was Paul. What ever happened to him? He was really small, but I'm surprised I didn't see him show up anywhere at all.

Yep - He's at Grand View. Didn't wrestle last year or if he did it wasn't much. 

1 hour ago, uncle bernard said:

Didn't he have an older brother who was ranked first in the country at one point? I think his name was Paul. What ever happened to him? He was really small, but I'm surprised I didn't see him show up anywhere at all.

3 brothers - Mikey, Paul, and Tristan

Tristan - 3x Champ, 4x Finalist going to ASU.

Mikey - 3x Champ went to Northeastern Oklahoma A&M (18'-20'). Placed 3rd this year in NJCAA.

Paul - 4x Champ (Top 50 recruit in 13') went to South Dakota State for a year and redshirted (14''). Then NIACC where he was 6th in NJCAA (15') and NQ (16'-didn't compete). Now at Grand View where he wrestled some opens this year.

I find it odd that he's been competing for the last THREE years at 113 lbs.   I'm sure it's probably happened before but I don't recall ever seeing a H.S. wrestler who competed at 113 lbs for three straight years.   Obviously he's being brought in for depth at 125 lbs but he will almost certainly be redshirted for the upcoming season.

28 minutes ago, Bronco said:

I find it odd that he's been competing for the last THREE years at 113 lbs.   I'm sure it's probably happened before but I don't recall ever seeing a H.S. wrestler who competed at 113 lbs for three straight years.   Obviously he's being brought in for depth at 125 lbs but he will almost certainly be redshirted for the upcoming season.

McHenry would have been 3 years at 113 had he completed his senior year, right?

33 minutes ago, Bronco said:

I'd be curious to know what weight previous 125 champions wrestled at their senior year of high school. Is there a strong history of wrestlers who wrestle below 120 lbs as HS seniors winning championships in college? 

31 minutes ago, LHN94 said:

I'd be curious to know what weight previous 125 champions wrestled at their senior year of high school. Is there a strong history of wrestlers who wrestle below 120 lbs as HS seniors winning championships in college? 

Well, in the 2000s - Robles and Powell were 112/113. Hunter, Donahoe, Dubuque, Abas, and Cruz were 119/120. The rest were 125/126 +

1 hour ago, LHN94 said:

Nahshon Garrett was a state champ at 103 as a junior and 112 as a senior; he eventually grew out of 125 and won at 133.

1 hour ago, yonz_g said:

Nahshon Garrett was a state champ at 103 as a junior and 112 as a senior; he eventually grew out of 125 and won at 133.

Did Garrett take a grey shirt year between high school and college? If not, that's impressive to go from 112 to a 3rd place NCAA finish at 125 in a single year. Not that doing it in 2 years isn't impressive, of course. 

19 minutes ago, Henry said:

Did Garrett take a grey shirt year between high school and college? If not, that's impressive to go from 112 to a 3rd place NCAA finish at 125 in a single year. Not that doing it in 2 years isn't impressive, of course. 

LOL,  He wasn't impressive as a freshman.

1 hour ago, Henry said:

He spent a year wrestling for Finger Lakes, yes.

Jesse Delgado (Gilroy HS) went 3 @ 103 in 9th grade (lost his 1st match and won 8 straight to take 3rd), 3 @ 112 as a soph (beaten in the semis by 4x CA State placer, 2X champ and later Big 12 125lbs champ for Nebraska David Klingsheim), State Champ at 112 as a jr and 4th at 125 as a senior (lost to Isaiah Martinez in the 3rd place match - beat Chris Mecate, 2X AA for ODU in the consi-semis).

6 hours ago, Idaho said:

Did you not read his  post correctly or are you actually saying he wasn't impressive his freshman year?

I did misread his question.  I glossed over it and thought he said tongue in cheek a grey shirt freshman 3rd isn't impressive.  Nothing but respect for NG

Edited by Plasmodium

9 hours ago, Bronco said:

This year, there were 31 (21 seniors and 10 juniors) wrestlers that have wrestled 113 at their state tournament the past 3 years.

Cade Rockwell (1,2,1,SQ), committed to Northern Colorado, is the only other D1 commit. He went 113 all 4 years.

Morgan Salle (Danville, KY) was 113 for 5 years! Placed 8th his junior year.

Jarret Sharp (Mt. Spokane, WA) was a 4x state runner up with his freshman year being 106.

12 hours ago, nhs67 said:

McHenry would have been 3 years at 113 had he completed his senior year, right?

From what they are saying, McHenry can still make it after a year in college, lol.

Edited by ConnorsDad

6 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

From what they are saying, McHenry can still make it after a year in college, lol.

Well good thing is we have up to two(2) more years of Medley.  We can get an Oly-shirt of McHenry this season for a little more size.

Problem is that you can't add height.  He can have all the talent in the world and he'll still be short, even for a H.S. 113lber(let alone a college 125lber).

5 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Not a champ, but a huge collegiate growth spurt - BJ Futrell was 112 his senior year of HS and ended as a 1 or 2x AA 141 in college

He placed twice (6, 8) at 133 and was injured his senior year at 141 when he was ranked top 5 everywhere.