Sign in to follow this  
Bronco

Arizona State adds 3 time NM champ - Tristan Mascarenas

This article says Figueroa is committed to ASU and highlights unsigned kids out of Cali. My guess would be he ends up a lifer 125 or at the least 3 years. Article also projects teams in the running for each of the unsigned wrestlers in 2021. 

http://www.calgrappler.com/top-10-uncommitted-california-high-school-wrestlers-from-2021/

Edited by Idaho

17 hours ago, PSUSMC said:

Jesse Delgado (Gilroy HS) went 3 @ 103 in 9th grade (lost his 1st match and won 8 straight to take 3rd), 3 @ 112 as a soph (beaten in the semis by 4x CA State placer, 2X champ and later Big 12 125lbs champ for Nebraska David Klingsheim), State Champ at 112 as a jr and 4th at 125 as a senior (lost to Isaiah Martinez in the 3rd place match - beat Chris Mecate, 2X AA for ODU in the consi-semis).

The 125 bracket when Jesse Delgado was a senior might be the toughest bracket ever in California. I'd be surprised if any other time in California a state bracket had two multiple time NCAA champs and another multiple time AA. Chris Mecate beat Isaiah Martinez in the quarters. Jesse Delgado beat Chris Mecate in the consolation semis, freshman Isaiah Martinez beat senior Jesse Delgado for 3rd. 

3 hours ago, Return of Aztec said:

The 125 bracket when Jesse Delgado was a senior might be the toughest bracket ever in California. I'd be surprised if any other time in California a state bracket had two multiple time NCAA champs and another multiple time AA. Chris Mecate beat Isaiah Martinez in the quarters. Jesse Delgado beat Chris Mecate in the consolation semis, freshman Isaiah Martinez beat senior Jesse Delgado for 3rd. 

That was a grinder! There have been a number of brackets like that in CA. That would be an interesting topic if not already covered - toughest brackets ever in Cali. 

5 hours ago, Return of Aztec said:

Who were the finalists in that bracket, and what did they go on to accomplish in college?

4 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

Who were the finalists in that bracket, and what did they go on to accomplish in college?

Chris Martinez of Clovis West won and Vince Rodriguez of Clovis North was 2nd. Rodriguez was also a runner-up his senior year to Alex Cisneros with former ASU wrestlers Nikko Villareal (3rd) and Ali Naser (7th) also placing.

Chris went to San Francisco State for a year and I don't see anything else from him.

Vince went to George Mason and was a National Qualifier as a true freshman and didn't make it again.

2 hours ago, PinFallRecruit said:

Chris Martinez of Clovis West won and Vince Rodriguez of Clovis North was 2nd. Rodriguez was also a runner-up his senior year to Alex Cisneros with former ASU wrestlers Nikko Villareal (3rd) and Ali Naser (7th) also placing.

Chris went to San Francisco State for a year and I don't see anything else from him.

Vince went to George Mason and was a National Qualifier as a true freshman and didn't make it again.

That's crazy to think Chris Martinez won a division with two 2x NCAA champs and a multiple time AA, yet failed to do anything of note in college wrestling.

12 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Well good thing is we have up to two(2) more years of Medley.  We can get an Oly-shirt of McHenry this season for a little more size.

Problem is that you can't add height.  He can have all the talent in the world and he'll still be short, even for a H.S. 113lber(let alone a college 125lber).

How tall is he?

12 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Not a champ, but a huge collegiate growth spurt - BJ Futrell was 112 his senior year of HS and ended as a 1 or 2x AA 141 in college

The problem, assuming it is one, is some kids just never grow.

On 6/2/2020 at 11:52 AM, LHN94 said:

I'd be curious to know what weight previous 125 champions wrestled at their senior year of high school. Is there a strong history of wrestlers who wrestle below 120 lbs as HS seniors winning championships in college? 

Angel Escobedo won state at 112, 125, 130, 135 before going 125 for 4 years at IU.

14 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

How tall is he?

3' 26"  I believe... I watched some videos on him from 17-19 and he doesn't really look short - he actually looks a little lanky and thin. Later pics have him bulked up some. I have no idea what he is currently, but NATO and Pletcher seemed to do just fine. 

On 6/2/2020 at 10:13 PM, gobraves101905 said:

Hasn’t Figueroa gone 1st at 106,113,113?  See where he goes as a senior. 

Actually Figueroa was 1st at 106 lbs in 2018 , 1st at 106 lbs in 2019 and 1st at 113 lbs in 2020.

The top two placers at 120 lbs at the 2020 CA State tournament were both Seniors.  So I think you MAY see Figueroa move up to 120 lbs for 2021.

120 lbs - 2020 TOP PLACE WINNERS

1. Tristan Lujan (12) - Selma H.S.

2. Laz Maldonado (12) - Clovis West H.S.

3. Maxximus Martinez (9) - St. John Bosco H.S.

4. George Rosas (10) - Clovis H.S.

Edited by Bronco

38 minutes ago, Bronco said:

Actually Figueroa was 1st at 106 lbs in 2018 , 1st at 106 lbs in 2019 and 1st at 113 lbs in 2020.

The top two placers at 120 lbs at the 2020 CA State tournament were both Seniors.  So I think you MAY see Figueroa move up to 120 lbs for 2021.

120 lbs - 2020 TOP PLACE WINNERS

1. Tristan Lujan (12) - Selma H.S.

2. Laz Maldonado (12) - Clovis West H.S.

3. Maxximus Martinez (9) - St. John Bosco H.S.

4. George Rosas (10) - Clovis H.S.

He wrestled 120 for the first half of the year.

4 hours ago, PinFallRecruit said:

He wrestled 120 for the first half of the year.

Thanks - I was not aware of that.  All the more reason why Figueroa may move up to 120 lbs for his Senior season.  Especially since the 2020 California State champ at 120 lbs was Figueroa's teammate Tristan Lujan. 

However the fact remains that Figueroa's three California State titles were:

At 106 lbs in 2018

At 106 lbs in 2019

At 113 lbs in 2020

1 hour ago, Bronco said:

Thanks - I was not aware of that.  All the more reason why Figueroa may move up to 120 lbs for his Senior season.  Especially since the 2020 California State champ at 120 lbs was Figueroa's teammate Tristan Lujan. 

However the fact remains that Figueroa's three California State titles were:

At 106 lbs in 2018

At 106 lbs in 2019

At 113 lbs in 2020

I think he had to wrestle at 106 in 2019 and 113 in 2020 because of Lujan.  If Lujan and him weren't teammates, Figueroa probably would have wrestled at 113 in 2019 and 120 in 2020.  

2 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

I think he had to wrestle at 106 in 2019 and 113 in 2020 because of Lujan.  If Lujan and him weren't teammates, Figueroa probably would have wrestled at 113 in 2019 and 120 in 2020.  

To think Rivera was stuck behind them both. Super 32 champ at 113 and beat Negrete (State #1 seed) at 120. 

It probably won't happen but it's possible that two 3x California state champions wrestle next year for a fourth title. Richard Figueroa (Selma HS) could bump up and challenge Maximo Renteria (Buchanan HS). Renteria has won titles at 113, 113 & 120. I expect Renteria to jump to 126 lbs. next season and Figueroa to 120 lbs. but it's possible that they both end up at the same weight next season. Renteria has committed to wrestle at the University of Illinois.

8 hours ago, PinFallRecruit said:

To think Rivera was stuck behind them both. Super 32 champ at 113 and beat Negrete (State #1 seed) at 120. 

Are you referring her to  Jacob Rivera who recently signed to wrestle at Division III University of Dubuque (Iowa)?

On 6/3/2020 at 6:21 AM, Idaho said:

This article says Figueroa is committed to ASU and highlights unsigned kids out of Cali. My guess would be he ends up a lifer 125 or at the least 3 years. Article also projects teams in the running for each of the unsigned wrestlers in 2021. 

http://www.calgrappler.com/top-10-uncommitted-california-high-school-wrestlers-from-2021/

If Figs and Cael both sign with ASU, wow. The team will be as deep as it ever has been. Figs is a day 1 starter if he so chooses. 

2 hours ago, gobraves101905 said:

If Figs and Cael both sign with ASU, wow. The team will be as deep as it ever has been. Figs is a day 1 starter if he so chooses. 

Would you guys put Figs on the same level as a prospect as Spencer Lee, Nick Suriano, and Daton Fix coming out of HS?

1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

I think he was 2 years at 106 IIRC

Ah yeah you're correct.  I believe he said he could make 106 again, and had taken a few Ls at 113/120 before calling it quits to bulk up for UofM.

15 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

Would you guys put Figs on the same level as a prospect as Spencer Lee, Nick Suriano, and Daton Fix coming out of HS?

I'd say Figs is a step below that group. Fix, Lee, and Yianni all had an unprecedented level of success internationally prior to competing collegiately. He's definitely in the next tier which I'd put guys like Sasso and Brooks in.

46 minutes ago, RegularStalling said:

I'd say Figs is a step below that group. Fix, Lee, and Yianni all had an unprecedented level of success internationally prior to competing collegiately. He's definitely in the next tier which I'd put guys like Sasso and Brooks in.

Spot on in my opinion.

9 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Ah yeah you're correct.  I believe he said he could make 106 again, and had taken a few Ls at 113/120 before calling it quits to bulk up for UofM.

Probably.  So he never ended up winning national preps right?

Frosh 106 3rd

Soph 106 suspended

Jr 113 2nd

Sr left school