NJDan

Whatever happened to Jim Gibbons

Seeing Gibbons as an impossibly young head coach of NCAA champion Iowa State made we wonder. I see he left coaching after 7 years and I know he occasionally goes ahead and broadcasts, but what else does he do?

3 hours ago, NJDan said:

Seeing Gibbons as an impossibly young head coach of NCAA champion Iowa State made we wonder. I see he left coaching after 7 years and I know he occasionally goes ahead and broadcasts, but what else does he do?

Bizarrely, i had the same question occur to me today. He knocked off Iowa and then seemed to disappear from a competitive standpoint.

BTW those who sneer at his hackneyed verbiage don't understand what he's talking about. 

2 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Bizarrely, i had the same question occur to me today. He knocked off Iowa and then seemed to disappear from a competitive standpoint.

BTW those who sneer at his hackneyed verbiage don't understand what he's talking about. 

You mean freight train double, shoe laces, belt buckle, Silver Fox,  etc.

4 hours ago, fadzaev2 said:

You mean freight train double, shoe laces, belt buckle, Silver Fox,  etc.

I think but am not sure that Johnson is the one who used Silver Fox.  I think Gobbons is very good.  He has a good low key manner, doesn't talk too much, imparts his substantial knowledge in simple terms, and is reliably on point in his predictions. By contrast I find Johnson to be too verbose, he dumps data like crazy in a way more suited to a message board than a fast paced live broadcast.  I think ESPN would be much better served by swapping those two for the big NCAA broadcasts.  

4 hours ago, drag it said:

I think but am not sure that Johnson is the one who used Silver Fox.  I think Gobbons is very good.  He has a good low key manner, doesn't talk too much, imparts his substantial knowledge in simple terms, and is reliably on point in his predictions. By contrast I find Johnson to be too verbose, he dumps data like crazy in a way more suited to a message board than a fast paced live broadcast.  I think ESPN would be much better served by swapping those two for the big NCAA broadcasts.  

From FRL, it sounded like Askren had a contract with ESPN to be a commentator at this years NCAA.  Not sure what capacity though. 

1 hour ago, jeffrideal said:

From FRL, it sounded like Askren had a contract with ESPN to be a commentator at this years NCAA.  Not sure what capacity though. 

ESPN hires just about any Joe Schmoe off the street.

6 hours ago, drag it said:

The guy that drives me nuts is the guy that broadcasts the Penn State matches ....he thinks he's announcing the Kentucky Derby.  I watched an old broadcast from my video library the other day, and Russ Hellickson was the announcer....Russ did a great job...miss his broadcasting, and for that matter I don't dislike Jim or Tim.

12 minutes ago, fadzaev2 said:

The guy that drives me nuts is the guy that broadcasts the Penn State matches ....he thinks he's announcing the Kentucky Derby.  I watched an old broadcast from my video library the other day, and Russ Hellickson was the announcer....Russ did a great job...miss his broadcasting, and for that matter I don't dislike Jim or Tim.

Man, I couldn't disagree more. IMO, Jeff Byers is the standard for how to do a one man broadcast; particularly on radio. He adds to the excitement. In case you hadn't seen this video on him:

Whereas, I think Iowa's Steven Grace and Mark Ironside are the standard for a two man broadcast.

48 minutes ago, fadzaev2 said:

The guy that drives me nuts is the guy that broadcasts the Penn State matches ....he thinks he's announcing the Kentucky Derby.

I agree, if watching a Penn State match I turn the volume off ... come to think about it even if simply listening to a Penn State match on internet audio broadcast I turn the volume off.  

16 hours ago, NJDan said:

I see what you did there - nice!

59 minutes ago, ionel said:

I agree, if watching a Penn State match I turn the volume off ... come to think about it even if simply listening to a Penn State match on internet audio broadcast I turn the volume off.  

1 hour ago, russelscout said:

Man, I couldn't disagree more. IMO, Jeff Byers is the standard for how to do a one man broadcast; particularly on radio. He adds to the excitement. In case you hadn't seen this video on him:

Whereas, I think Iowa's Steven Grace and Mark Ironside are the standard for a two man broadcast.

He may be OK for radio, but not for the Big 10 Network, which is what I'm going to watch.   The Iowa broadcast with 2 guys ....different story.

Edited by fadzaev2

I try to listen to the PSU and Iowa broadcasts when I'm not at a TV, or if I can sync them up over the TV broadcast.  It's cool listening to people who regularly broadcast matches.

Byers' (PSU) style isn't my usual preference, but the PSU folks love him and he does a great job at what he does.  I would prefer it if he rationed the histrionics -- such as for his call of the Joseph pin of IMar, which was extraordinary.

I really enjoy Grace's play by play on the Iowa broadcasts (him as one man in the booth, which happens on occasion, is great, too).  He's got a nice low-key style, gives the information you need, and you know when he gets worked up it's important. 

Grace is also  a good fit with Ironside, who is not, um, low key.  You do have to love the Ironside passion, though, since you absolutely understand where it comes from and how genuine it is.  As a Cubs fan, he reminds me a lot of Ron Santo, former top of the line player for the team he is broadcasting and no broadcast polish at all, just a pure homer who will literally just shout something unintelligible at the most important point in the broadcast.

Back to the original question.  Does anyone know why Gibbons got out of coaching at such a young age?  I think his last Iowa State team finished 4th at nationals.  They were consistently in the top 5,  winning the title in 1987. 

I would guess the same reason Marty Morgan, Tim Hartung, Wes Hand and hundreds of others do. They actually want to be around there family and watch his children grown up. Who wants to be on the road 50% of your life? Whether it be recruiting, weekend 2 dual road trips, tourneys, national high school events recruiting. Some of these guys have decided to go running a club route such as Jared Lawrence and to me that is a lot more manageable. You still coach wrestling but you are in charge of what you do, the amount of events are mostly local so at most you are gone a couple of days periodically.

Today I learned there were people who like Jim Gibbons announcing. 

Byers can seem over the top sometimes, but I think a lot of that is the fact that he is doing a radio broadcast that is getting used for TV. 

4 hours ago, drag it said:

I try to listen to the PSU and Iowa broadcasts when I'm not at a TV, or if I can sync them up over the TV broadcast.  It's cool listening to people who regularly broadcast matches.

Byers' (PSU) style isn't my usual preference, but the PSU folks love him and he does a great job at what he does.  I would prefer it if he rationed the histrionics -- such as for his call of the Joseph pin of IMar, which was extraordinary.

I really enjoy Grace's play by play on the Iowa broadcasts (him as one man in the booth, which happens on occasion, is great, too).  He's got a nice low-key style, gives the information you need, and you know when he gets worked up it's important. 

Grace is also  a good fit with Ironside, who is not, um, low key.  You do have to love the Ironside passion, though, since you absolutely understand where it comes from and how genuine it is.  As a Cubs fan, he reminds me a lot of Ron Santo, former top of the line player for the team he is broadcasting and no broadcast polish at all, just a pure homer who will literally just shout something unintelligible at the most important point in the broadcast.

As a non-Cubs fan, Ron Santo was a buffoon and a caricature of himself.  But I can see why Cubs fans liked him because of the nostalgia of his HOF playing days and his community service (JDF).

Edited by jchapman

3 hours ago, smsu150 said:

Back to the original question.  Does anyone know why Gibbons got out of coaching at such a young age?  I think his last Iowa State team finished 4th at nationals.  They were consistently in the top 5,  winning the title in 1987. 

"I've been in wrestling for darn near two-thirds of my life. It's been a great experience for me. I'm just looking to do something different....I am ready to pursue other interests outside of wrestling."

Frankly, I think he also figured out that the right non-coaching gig would be more financially beneficial.

50 minutes ago, IronChef said:

Today I learned there were people who like Jim Gibbons announcing. 

Byers can seem over the top sometimes, but I think a lot of that is the fact that he is doing a radio broadcast that is getting used for TV. 

I just wish they'd get someone else for television.....I want some commentary....some good facts....the short version of what's going on without an overload of banter.  These are big meets and it seems like somebody is saving money by doubling up using a radio commentator for television....just my point of view from the expensive seats.  Fadz

10 hours ago, fadzaev2 said:

The Kentucky Derby line cracked me up.  

Byers is a little over the top, but I like the enthusiasm.  I also like Gibbons and Ironside.  

I'd also agree about Hellickson.  He was a pro.