NJDan

Whatever happened to Jim Gibbons

4 hours ago, jchapman said:

As a non-Cubs fan, Ron Santo was a buffoon and a caricature of himself.  But I can see why Cubs fans liked him because of the nostalgia of his HOF playing days and his community service (JDF).

You don't find this to be a professionally done call of one of the biggest plays of the season?

I got some information. This is from a 2009 article about Gibbons running for Congress (he lost):

Since leaving coaching, Gibbons has been a financial advisor, most recently with Wells Fargo Advisors in West Des Moines. He also serves as a television commentator, providing color commentary for ESPN, The Big Ten Network, and Iowa Public Television. In 2003, he was named broadcaster of the year by the National Wrestling Media Association.

On 6/4/2020 at 11:32 PM, drag it said:

You don't find this to be a professionally done call of one of the biggest plays of the season?

Not a big baseball fan, but what else was he supposed to say???  I didn't think it was that bad, he didn't get carried away.  LOL....you/it just reminded me of a story I had forgotten....in 4th grade,  we were playing the other 4th grade class, and I dropped a fly ball in the outfield, and my teacher, Miss Harget, sent me back to the room....probably traumatized at the time, but I got a better glove, played a lot of catch and got better, ironically my glove was an Al Kaline glove (he just passed).  Ended up teaching physical education for 40 years....got fairly good at a lot of sports.

5 hours ago, fadzaev2 said:

Not a big baseball fan, but what else was he supposed to say???  I didn't think it was that bad, he didn't get carried away.  LOL....you/it just reminded me of a story I had forgotten....in 4th grade,  we were playing the other 4th grade class, and I dropped a fly ball in the outfield, and my teacher, Miss Harget, sent me back to the room....probably traumatized at the time, but I got a better glove, played a lot of catch and got better, ironically my glove was an Al Kaline glove (he just passed).  Ended up teaching physical education for 40 years....got fairly good at a lot of sports.

You are probably listening to Pat Hughes, who is  considered one of the best radio play by play men in all of MLB.  Ron Santo was the one screaming Noooooooooooooo!

7 hours ago, jchapman said:

You are probably listening to Pat Hughes, who is  considered one of the best radio play by play men in all of MLB.  Ron Santo was the one screaming Noooooooooooooo!

Pat is fabulous. Great voice, describes the game beautifully, has this terrific way of telling you how the play is likely to end up just through the lilt of his voice.  Even though the Cubs TV announcers are quite good, I will often sit outside and listen to him paint a verbal picture on the radio even when I could watch on TV just because it reminds me of being a kid long ago and only having radio access to some games.  

And he has for decades been unfailingly patient with ex-player color commentators who really have no business on the merits doing major league broadcasts (Santo then Ron Coomer, a very pleasant guy who adds nothing to the listener's understanding of the game).  To get back to the post topic, Ironside is definitely more proficient and gives more insightful information than those guys, but his habit of yelling, screaming, emoting over the play-by-play, often just when the listener most needs to hear the description clearly, rings a bell with any Cubs fan.

On 6/4/2020 at 6:31 AM, jeffrideal said:

From FRL, it sounded like Askren had a contract with ESPN to be a commentator at this years NCAA.  Not sure what capacity though. 

Probably as a consultant to give commentary on the no hair rule? 

On 6/4/2020 at 8:33 PM, Cradle1 said:

Jesus Christ. They’d fire him before they got to 149 if he said that today.

I'm lying here on the couch after midnight reading posts and literally tears are coming out of my eyes I'm laughing so ****ing hard. You're right they would jerk him off the microphone before the next match started.

2 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

I'm lying here on the couch after midnight reading posts and literally tears are coming out of my eyes I'm laughing so ****ing hard. You're right they would jerk him off the microphone before the next match started.

What does prison strength mean beside strong? Ya'll are alarmists. Nothing would happen if someone said "prison strength"

I was watching and deleting some 60 for 60 on the BTN, and I was, of course, subjected to Jeff Meyers radio commentary on television....it was Kyle Todrank vs. Jason Nolf....Nolf is one of my favorites!  First off, in the upper right hand corner it says Student U, or whatever, meaning no Gibbons/Johnson, but instead students commentate, and I admit, some of them do OK, but some are "not so good" either.  Instead, we get Jeff Byer's "Kentucky Derby" version of commentating a wrestling meet.  He must have said "Todrank" 50 times, and then when Todrank "ticked off" Nolf, and Nolf pins him, Byers goes "nuts".  If you stick to the Gibbons/Johnson "template" .....they are impartial....not Byers.......he goes nuts for Nolf and the Nittany Lions.....I know, I know.....there is a "mute" button on my remote, and at least we get to see good wrestling.  There, as Dave Schultz would say....."I'll get off my soapbox now".

11 hours ago, russelscout said:

What does prison strength mean beside strong? Ya'll are alarmists. Nothing would happen if someone said "prison strength"

On the contrary, I'm not an alarmist. I know exactly what it means being a retired cop and I think it's funny as hell. And when we say he would have been pulled off the mic by the next match we are being a little facetious. I guess if I'm being completely honest with no humor involved I'm sure in today's climate they probably would have spoken to him after it was over. I, like you, think way too many people take themselves way too serious in this day and age.

19 hours ago, Gantry said:

Wasn't that Shane Sparks?

No, Sparks even credits Gibbons on video by saying to Jim, "like you like to say Ness is Highly combustible material."  Sparks just ran with it more.  

Edited by silverback

13 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

On the contrary, I'm not an alarmist. I know exactly what it means being a retired cop and I think it's funny as hell. And when we say he would have been pulled off the mic by the next match we are being a little facetious. I guess if I'm being completely honest with no humor involved I'm sure in today's climate they probably would have spoken to him after it was over. I, like you, think way too many people take themselves way too serious in this day and age.

Maybe as a cop you have heard "prison strength" as something vile. I dont doubt it, but I just never have; googled it and couldnt find anything but body weight exercises. It seems to me like a lot of people take pride in having prison strength. No offense;)

Edited by russelscout

3 hours ago, russelscout said:

Maybe as a cop you have heard "prison strength" as something vile. I dont doubt it, but I just never have; googled it and couldnt find anything but body weight exercises. It seems to me like a lot of people take pride in having prison strength. No offense;)

Your post made me think and I must admit I've never actually heard the exact term "prison strength" until this thread. I guess what I have heard and/or seen in my career was people talking about guys in prison getting really strong because they didn't have anything else to do, had time to lift weights and get in shape, e t c. or seeing people who have come out of prison and have gotten really big. I certainly don't think there is anything vile with it and I'm not exactly sure why I think management would not like an announcer to say that. There's no reason I can put my finger on I just think the powers-that-be at a TV station might ask him to refrain from using that expression even though I'm still laughing two days later thinking about it.

2 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

Your post made me think and I must admit I've never actually heard the exact term "prison strength" until this thread. I guess what I have heard and/or seen in my career was people talking about guys in prison getting really strong because they didn't have anything else to do, had time to lift weights and get in shape, e t c. or seeing people who have come out of prison and have gotten really big. I certainly don't think there is anything vile with it and I'm not exactly sure why I think management would not like an announcer to say that. There's no reason I can put my finger on I just think the powers-that-be at a TV station might ask him to refrain from using that expression even though I'm still laughing two days later thinking about it.

Kind of like "old man strength" lol

On 6/8/2020 at 5:56 AM, russelscout said:

If Colon were black it'd be a problem, and rightly so, but in the context it was actually used, I don't see it as a that big of a deal.

If I accidentally used the phrase, however, I'd probably make sure to clarify that Colon wasn't, in fact, an ex-con, and make sure to use the phrase "grown man strength" next time around.