Sign in to follow this  
JerseyJoey

Taylor is not mentally tough

This is wrong, he's not mentally weak. He just got beat by a better wrestler.

My cousin is former D2 All American but doesn't follow the sport that closely. I had to give him background on all the wrestlers and their styles/storylines for the Finals. I was watching the finals with him, and he turned to me after the first period and said "Dake is just a better wrestler, and Taylor knows it."

He's going to blitz the field next year (barring something weird) and become a 2 time champ, 4 time finalist with 3 losses, and 2 of those losses are in the finals, where the competition should be toughest. He's not mentally weak. He just got beat by a better wrestler.

Vak .... good points.

Also, not sure how many posters in this thread actually wrestled? From my experience, both in HS and a brief stint at WSU, there were in fact guys I just could not beat. No mater what I did, how hard I trained, how much I worked with better guys in the room, There were guys I just could not beat.

I think this is the case here. DT is an amazing wrestler, as well as Dake. Dake has DT's number. And a whole lot of other peoples' number.

Right now, DT can not beat Dake. That may change down the road, or maybe not. I did see a sweet TD by DT against Dake, which we haven't seen in a long time by anybody.

If Dake goes international, I suspect he'll run into someone he can't beat as well. HELL ....Cael had problems with the Cuban .. Right?

The thing is, DT laced up his shoes, and stepped out on the mat. That's Just about all we can ask for.

I got really excited when he got the TD, yet Dake didn't waiver .... He re-grouped and just got the job done.

I don't think that's it.

Jim Gibbons put his finger on it perfectly -- DT is a rythm wrestler.

Disrupt his rythm and he's not DT, the super-special wrestler, anymore. He's just a very good, much more ordinary, wrestler.

No one but Dake has been able to do that however.

For me, the turning point was in the first period, after DT scored the quick TD, and then tried to ride Dake, and almost got cradled, giving up the escape point.

That completely got DT out of his rythm, and he was never able to re-establish it. I think, going to Vak's point, it was because from a feel standpoint, he knew his stuff wasn't going to work on Dake.

There are lots of explanations here from various posters as to why Taylor lost again, but isn't the answer obvious now after four in one year? Dake is just better. Why does that make Taylor mentally weak?? Is Kilgore mentally weak because he lost to Q? Is Megaludis mentally weak because Delgado handled him again? Is Ramos mentally weak because he couldn't beat a guy who may end up being every bit as good as Dake?

This thread is ridiculous.

Literally the dumbest/most ridiculous thread and comment ive seen on these boards. And that is really saying a lot.

If you think Taylor is "mentally weak" go back and examine his career. Please.

Vak nailed it. He is not mentally weak - he has 3 career losses - all to national champions - 2 to Kyle Dake by 1 pt each time.

God, the stupidity of this post is mind boggling. :shock:

I think Taylor is a phenomenal wrestler. Re: NCAA final loss to Dake I see 2 issues.

1. I think Taylor did get too amped up for that match. If Taylor would have continued that aggressive pace through the 3rd round he might have won. However, he really backed off in the 3rd round due to tiredness? confidence?.....I am not quite sure.

2. Taylor is definitely not as physically mature as Dake (or many other D1 wrestlers) yet even though he is a phenomenal technician. Give him another year to fill out, hit the weights, and add some muscle.