Sign in to follow this  
Bronco

The entire list of CA 2020 H.S. Senior wrestlers who placed 2nd AND haven't committed

120 lbs - Laz Maldonado - Clovis West H.S. - Lost 7-1 to Tristan Lujan in the 2020 CA championship match at 120 lbs - Lujan signed to wrestle for Michigan State

220 lbs - Jacob Christensen - Durham H.S. - Lost 9-4 to Brandon Leon in the 2020 CA championship match at 220 lbs - Leon also has (apparently) not signed to wrestle anywhere

Or at least that SEEMS to be the case as far as I've been able to find out.   If they  have signed to wrestle in college feel free to correct me.

I wonder if it is that they maybe looking juco route?   The other thing I was thinking is a lot of kids and coaches seem to not know how to contact each other (which baffles me)  in regards to recruiting.  

54 minutes ago, Swayz said:

I wonder if it is that they maybe looking juco route?   The other thing I was thinking is a lot of kids and coaches seem to not know how to contact each other (which baffles me)  in regards to recruiting.  

What gives you the impression they don’t know how to contact each other? 

The number of coaches out there struggling to figure out the basics of how to hunt down guys (like it is a foreign concept)  that are reaching out.  

If the kid (not sure if he is)  a first generation athlete being recruited, a lot of work honestly has to come from your end of things.  

I think we are going to see some ****-tac-ular duals this year with coaches blaming COVID on bad classes (although some do a horrendous job yearly in that regard).

32 minutes ago, Swayz said:

The number of coaches out there struggling to figure out the basics of how to hunt down guys (like it is a foreign concept)  that are reaching out.  

If the kid (not sure if he is)  a first generation athlete being recruited, a lot of work honestly has to come from your end of things.  

I think we are going to see some ****-tac-ular duals this year with coaches blaming COVID on bad classes (although some do a horrendous job yearly in that regard).

I disagree. There’s not a coach out there that doesn’t know how to hunt a guy down through social media or have access to their HS coaches and video. Besides lots of guys are signing and transferring. Do you have examples of your claim? 

We are going to see a lot of bad duals next season because Coaches will use Covid  as an excuse for not singing more and better guys in this years class? Did you expect teams full of 2nd and 3rd tier recruits to start as true freshman? 

2 hours ago, Idaho said:

I disagree. There’s not a coach out there that doesn’t know how to hunt a guy down through social media or have access to their HS coaches and video. Besides lots of guys are signing and transferring. Do you have examples of your claim? 

We are going to see a lot of bad duals next season because Coaches will use Covid  as an excuse for not singing more and better guys in this years class? Did you expect teams full of 2nd and 3rd tier recruits to start as true freshman? 

There are a quite a bunch of coaches out there that struggle tremendously with hunting kids down. There are numerous reasons why from actually being bad at it to being the only coach and not having enough time in the day. I know there are coaches that rely purely on who contacts them to recruit or pick a tournament to attend (Fargo/NHSCA/Super 32/etc.) and get all their contacts there.

Every coach has what they are good at. Some are great at coaching and bad at recruiting. Some are bad at coaching and great at recruiting.

Edited by PinFallRecruit

3 hours ago, PinFallRecruit said:

There are a quite a bunch of coaches out there that struggle tremendously with hunting kids down. There are numerous reasons why from actually being bad at it to being the only coach and not having enough time in the day. I know there are coaches that rely purely on who contacts them to recruit or pick a tournament to attend (Fargo/NHSCA/Super 32/etc.) and get all their contacts there.

Every coach has what they are good at. Some are great at coaching and bad at recruiting. Some are bad at coaching and great at recruiting.

Are we talking D1 ? I can’t imagine 3-4 guys on a staff and not 1 of them actively recruiting.  You mentioned being the only coach so I assume you are talking this happening more on lower levels ?? I can think of a couple in lower levels that fit that bill. 

Edited by Idaho

8 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Are we talking D1 ? I can’t imagine 3-4 guys on a staff and not 1 of them actively recruiting.  You mentioned being the only coach so I assume you are talking lower levels ??

Yes D1  it's sad but true.

The California jucos can't recruit outside of their area and for out of state kids aren't allowed to contact them initially at all.  If a kid from New York contacts them, that's fine, but they cannot initiate contact with a recruit outside of their area.  

9 hours ago, Idaho said:

Are we talking D1 ? I can’t imagine 3-4 guys on a staff and not 1 of them actively recruiting.  You mentioned being the only coach so I assume you are talking this happening more on lower levels ?? I can think of a couple in lower levels that fit that bill. 

You’ll see it more on the lower levels, but it happens D1 as well.