Jump to content
irani

Interview with Hassan Yazdani

Recommended Posts

The following is my attempt at translating a recent interview with Hassan Yazdani

The original is posted here, and you can use google translate.  Google tranwlate might end up being more coherent than my translation :) 

https://www.khabarvarzeshi.com/fa/news/261449/یزدانی-می‌خواهم-تا-المپیک-2024-کشتی-بگیرم

 

یزدانی: می‌خواهم تا المپیک 2024 کشتی بگیرمYazdani : " I want to keep on wrestling until the 2024 Olympics"

When asked what prompoted him to get into wrestling, Hassan Yazdani responded "I started wrestling since I was 12.  In my country and city, this is a very popular sport. I also became interested in wrestling and joined a club and started wrestling as a career"

When asked about his role model, he said " You cannot emphasis just one person.  I watch everyone wrestle and use what I see in my training.  I try to learn good techniques from all domestic and global champions.  But from a sportmanship point of view, Takhti is my role model"

Regarding his injury: " I have been practicing for two months.  I have been conditioning my knee and have been wrestling on the mat for month know and fortunately everything looks good.

The Olympic Champion comment on his weight change; "My plans get adjusted based on my weight.  Throughout the years, as I got heavier, I myself decide what weight class to compete in.  With the new rules, cutting significnat weight is diffuclt and you are forced to compete in higher weights.  My natural weight is 89 kg, and I think wereslting at 86 is ideal for me.  If I gain weight, then I will wrestle in higher wegihts too, and I would like to expereince that, but at the moment my weight does not allow that and I think 86 Kg is good for me

In regards to 2015 world championship and losing to Gazimagomedov, he said: " In competition, there are lessons learned in every defea.  Of course, in every competition I work on my weaknesses and try to do better.  2015 was my first Senior competitoin, and and I handed the win to Magomedov.  I made mistakes and I tried to work on them in camps so that I would have the best performance in the Olympics, and fortunately that happened and I was able to  win the best medal for my country"

Regarding the Rio Olympics he said "I was positive the whole time and never considered losing.  There were incidents with my opponents injurty that could have made things difficut (I assume he is referring to the constant stoppages)  but god and my coaches helpmed keep my cool and stay focused and the match was decided in the last seconds

While commenting on his opponent Taylor and wishing him good health he emphasized: "  Every athletes tries to represent their countries tradition and culture..  I respect all my opponentsand I wish every single one of them good health and success wether they are direct opponents such as Taylor or others.  I want my opponents to be at their best so we can have a good compeitions and the so that the fans can enjoy watching it.  I try to conduct sportsmanship and good conduct and everything that is part of our wrestling tradition.

Regarding his two losses to Taylor  and his plans for Tokyo he said: " I try not to amke the mistaks that I made in the past matches,.  these mistake may be technical or psychological, .  I try to reduce them, and use a different approach in competition, and with more focus think about each opponent and execute what I plan.

Regarding the labels that are being given to him in Iran, he said :  I hope I deserve such labels.  I will try very hard not to let down my fans.

He added:  I don't have any hobbies outside of wrestling, I focus just on training and as long as I wrestle, I want to focus on wrestling only.  I try to spend my recreational time with my family and perhaps go hiking in the woods and mountains with them

Regarding retirement he stated "  I have not thought about it yet,  But sometimes I try to think about the future, and be successful in business, but right now all my thoughts are about wrestling.  My father handles business and commerical matters, and does not allow me to defocus, but I think I can do well in business too.

When asked what medal he will win in Tokyo, he responded:  I hope until I am able to wrestle I win the best olympic and world medals.  As long as my body allows me, I will wrestle, and will try to win gold. My plans are through 2024, but it depends on my body allowing it.  I would like to wrestle.

Regarding his domestic opponents:  They are good champions.  Kamran Ghasempour and Ahmad Bazri are among the competitors, and perhaps younger opponents that we don't know will show up, but currently its Ghassempour and Bazri

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

actually that was the interview with UWW instagram page

even though I have to say the translation for his answers weren't accurate, as usual there is nothing unusual or very interesting in his interviews.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, wrestfan said:

actually that was the interview with UWW instagram page

even though I have to say the translation for his answers weren't accurate, as usual there is nothing unusual or very interesting in his interviews.

 

Thanks for posting.   I agree that the translator next to him was terrible.  Also the newspaper that I translated from did not translate the questions properly, and then again, I am sure my own translation was bad too.

When you say his answers are not interesting, I am not sure exactly what you want him to say to make it interesting.  He was asked questions, and answered them accurately and completely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, irani said:

Thanks for posting.   I agree that the translator next to him was terrible.  Also the newspaper that I translated from did not translate the questions properly, and then again, I am sure my own translation was bad too.

When you say his answers are not interesting, I am not sure exactly what you want him to say to make it interesting.  He was asked questions, and answered them accurately and completely.

the translator was OK in translating English questions to Persian but I don't know who made that English subtitle on Hassan's answers (I assume the same translator, they just drop that part to make the video shorter)

I meant the whole interview, not only his answers, you never can find anything interesting in his interviews. I'm not even saying this is a bad thing. he is good with everybody. he never says anything controversial, this is just his personality. maybe that's why he is successful. focus on your career, respect everybody, stay away from bull****. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

the translator was OK in translating English questions to Persian but I don't know who made that English subtitle on Hassan's answers (I assume the same translator, they just drop that part to make the video shorter)

I meant the whole interview, not only his answers, you never can find anything interesting in his interviews. I'm not even saying this is a bad thing. he is good with everybody. he never says anything controversial, this is just his personality. maybe that's why he is successful. focus on your career, respect everybody, stay away from bull****. 

I actully think the translatiion of he questions was terrible.  They asked him who his hero was, somehow he translated it into who his role model الگو  was.

He answers the questions honestly.  He does not disrespect people and likes his coaches.  That's who he is, if you don't find that interesting, then it is what it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course Yazdani interviews will always be a good way to go to sleep if you are struggling, he speaks very generally and will not say anything interesting. Only one was after 2015 worlds when he lost in the final he said the Gazi seemed afraid of him before the match, lol. Aside from that he is a very dry interview. At least he is entertaining in his matches, though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

Of course Yazdani interviews will always be a good way to go to sleep if you are struggling, he speaks very generally and will not say anything interesting. Only one was after 2015 worlds when he lost in the final he said the Gazi seemed afraid of him before the match, lol. Aside from that he is a very dry interview. At least he is entertaining in his matches, though. 

I simply fail understand what you and @wrestfan want him to say to make his interviews interesting.  He is asked questions, and he answes them honestly and completely.  

Give me an example of how he would like to see his answers to be more interesting?  

Is this what you want? 

Question Who is your role model? 

Answer Well certainly not people like Jadidi because he is an *******! :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

Cmon he speaks very generally. 

 

Who are your toughest opponents?

 

All of them are tough.

 

Stuff like that. He has a naturally quiet personality probably. 

who are your toughest domestic opponentss

Ghassempour and Bazri

sounds pretty specific to me.  I still don't know what you guys want from the guy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2020 at 3:06 AM, Shiraz123 said:

Cmon he speaks very generally. 

 

Who are your toughest opponents?

 

All of them are tough.

 

Stuff like that. He has a naturally quiet personality probably. 

I agree with you. The reason is that in the Iranian wrestling culture, there is a lot of emphasis on humility, and wrestlers try to speak in a way that does not upset others. This makes them talk very generally. Of course, this reduces the attractiveness of wrestling competitions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WrestlingFan_IR said:

 Of course, this reduces the attractiveness of wrestling competitions.

Really?  Wrestling competition would be more attractive to you if there was trash talking?  

I guess we look at it different.  His genuine humility makes me like him even more, and I enjoy watching wrestlers wrestle, not talk.

You are definitely a very knolwedgeable wrestling fan, and you are entitled to your opinion, so I wil let thi discussion go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't like to see trash talking dominate competition but it can add drama/entertainment value.  It's an additional dimension.  

That was one reason why I wanted Cox down at 86 and wrestling DT.  Of course,  that would have been bad news for Yaz 'cause he ain't beating Cox in a month of Sundays. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

I don't like to see trash talking dominate competition but it can add drama/entertainment value.  It's an additional dimension.  

That was one reason why I wanted Cox down at 86 and wrestling DT.  Of course,  that would have been bad news for Yaz 'cause he ain't beating Cox in a month of Sundays. :)

well, I disagree with you on three counts

  1. In my book, trash talking is beneath the dignity of good wrestlers
  2. DT vs Cox, DT wins, not Cox
  3. If Cox does beat DT, Yazdani destorys Cox

    Other than that, we are in full agreement :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2020 at 12:32 AM, irani said:

well, I disagree with you on three counts

 

If Cox does beat DT....

Other than that, we are in full agreement :)

All hypothetical as Cox could not make the cut to 86....Would be more fruitful to discuss how Cox will do at 97kg. Will he beat Mohammadian....Snyder or Sadulaev?

Edited by window12
incomplete initially

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Yes, Cox will beat Sadulaev in Tokyo.

Let's put a bet on this one.

1. If cox loses to Snyder, and does not make the team, I let you off the hook

2. If Cox does make the olympics, and faces Saulaev, what do you want to bet? $20 to to the winner's choice of chairty?  I am interested in wagering some delicious Marine Candy :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Yes, Cox will beat Sadulaev in Tokyo.

 

5 minutes ago, irani said:

Let's put a bet on this one.

1. If cox loses to Snyder, and does not make the team, I let you off the hook

2. If Cox does make the olympics, and faces Saulaev, what do you want to bet? $20 to to the winner's choice of chairty?  I am interested in wagering some delicious Marine Candy :)

Hear that?  That was the sound of me tripping over myself to make this bet!  We'll work out the stakes and props for condition 1)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2020 at 9:58 PM, irani said:

Really?  Wrestling competition would be more attractive to you if there was trash talking?  

I guess we look at it different.  His genuine humility makes me like him even more, and I enjoy watching wrestlers wrestle, not talk.

You are definitely a very knolwedgeable wrestling fan, and you are entitled to your opinion, so I wil let thi discussion go.

 

First of all, sorry for my bad English. Wrestling is not a popular sport in the world right now. It must become an industry in order to attract spectators. The sport you're talking about is just appealing to professional fans like you. The number of fans like you in the world is very small, and this is not something that can guarantee the future of this sport. I don't limit Wrestling to Wrestling mats alone. Interviews and events alongside the Wrestling mat are also part of the sport. For ordinary spectators, these are more appealing than Wrestling itself. I don't agree with trash talking because I think it's incompatible with the spirit of the Wrestling. I also don't agree with "general speaking" because I think it reduces the number of spectators, and this reduces the amount of income in this sport. This is a very complex and extensive discussion. We need to consider the future of the sport, not just our preferences.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, WrestlingFan_IR said:

 

First of all, sorry for my bad English. Wrestling is not a popular sport in the world right now. It must become an industry in order to attract spectators. The sport you're talking about is just appealing to professional fans like you. The number of fans like you in the world is very small, and this is not something that can guarantee the future of this sport. I don't limit Wrestling to Wrestling mats alone. Interviews and events alongside the Wrestling mat are also part of the sport. For ordinary spectators, these are more appealing than Wrestling itself. I don't agree with trash talking because I think it's incompatible with the spirit of the Wrestling. I also don't agree with "general speaking" because I think it reduces the number of spectators, and this reduces the amount of income in this sport. This is a very complex and extensive discussion. We need to consider the future of the sport, not just our preferences.

This is a very well thought out comment.  I cannot disagree with what you wrote.  Thanks for taking the time to articulate your opinion.

Speaking of bad English, I just read my reply to you.  About 1 typo every 3 words :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...