Sign in to follow this  
BigTimeFan

52kg weight class

Back in the day 52kg was a real thing. Zeke Jones won all his world medals there. I think Spencer Lee would naturally fit there much better than 57kg. Looking at Sergei Belaglazov’s old matches not a chance in hell Lee would have competed with him. But then again who would have ?

On 6/6/2020 at 8:14 PM, gimpeltf said:

Back in the day, 48kg was a thing

TJ Hill would have been a world champ; eliminating this weight also eliminated millions of potentially great wrestlers, Asians in particular.

17 hours ago, fullnelson said:

TJ Hill would have been a world champ; eliminating this weight also eliminated millions of potentially great wrestlers, Asians in particular.

105 pounds?  No thanks. That weight is hard to fill at the HS level albeit in America. 

On 6/6/2020 at 7:56 PM, BigTimeFan said:

Back in the day 52kg was a real thing. Zeke Jones won all his world medals there. I think Spencer Lee would naturally fit there much better than 57kg. Looking at Sergei Belaglazov’s old matches not a chance in hell Lee would have competed with him. But then again who would have ?

Completely different weigh in rules- everyone would be competing a weight class  higher. It honestly drives me crazy that seemingly nobody can comprehend this blatantly obvious fact regarding both college and international  wrestling.  When you had 24 hours to recover, your weight class was 5 to 10 pounds lower than when you have one or two hours to recover.  

11 hours ago, Cradle1 said:

Completely different weigh in rules- everyone would be competing a weight class  higher. It honestly drives me crazy that seemingly nobody can comprehend this blatantly obvious fact regarding both college and international  wrestling.  When you had 24 hours to recover, your weight class was 5 to 10 pounds lower than when you have one or two hours to recover.  

To tell you truth, I didn’t think of that. So that would explain why Belaglazov looks so damn gigantic in film. What weight do you think Lee would have gone back in the day?

1 hour ago, BigTimeFan said:

To tell you truth, I didn’t think of that. So that would explain why Belaglazov looks so damn gigantic in film. What weight do you think Lee would have gone back in the day?

52 kg; (I.e. 114.5.) Guys at that weight class with a 24 Hour weigh in weigh in walked at around 130 and rehydrated to every bit of it.  Back in the day i used to rehydrate from 167 to 187 in a little over an hour... Then spent the rest of the evening feeling sorry for myself (but good to go the next day).

Guys like yanni and Zane would be perfect sized 136.5’s, etc. belaglazov would die with a same day weigh in at 57 kg.

Thinking of current style weigh ins, someone like Terry Brands would struggle in a Olympic year. Too small for 65kg and the cut would kill him for 57 kg. Also Chris Bono and Lincoln McIlravy, perfect sized for 69 kg, both gave 66 kg a shot and didn’t work well. 65 would have been impossible and 74 too big

66 kg wasn’t really too small for Bono IMO. Actually probably better than 68/69 kg. Lincoln Mac yes. He would’ve likely made the team again without the contraction in weights and reduction in weight limit. That 2-3 kilos was a big difference.

On 6/9/2020 at 9:44 AM, Cradle1 said:

Completely agree.  I find it funny when people say things like: "If it weren't for the 118 pound class back then, wrestler X couldn't have wrestled in college."  As you mentioned, the weigh in rules were different, and everything except heavyweight shifted up 7 pounds.  So 118 pounders back then walked around about as big (or bigger) than 125 pounders now.

3 minutes ago, UsedToBe103 said:

Completely agree.  I find it funny when people say things like: "If it weren't for the 118 pound class back then, wrestler X couldn't have wrestled in college."  As you mentioned, the weigh in rules were different, and everything except heavyweight shifted up 7 pounds.  So 118 pounders back then walked around about as big (or bigger) than 125 pounders now.

This is an absolute, undeniable fact that only you, me, and like two other people in this sport are even vaguely aware of for reasons that are incomprehensible to me.

Even on Flo you will see an all IL college team with joe Williams listed at 157. Joe Williams could have made 157 with a one hour  weigh in.... if he’d cut off a leg!

Edited by Cradle1