Sign in to follow this  
Hey Now

McCoy Back in Wrestling...Back to the Coast

Seems like a really good fit, that's a nice pickup.  Interesting the part about teaming up with the solar guy and possibly getting the athletes some sort of employment as well.

Edited by Gantry

McCoy is a class act and seems like a great guy but it shouldn't be forgotten he was probably one of the worst Head Coaches at a Major D1 program in a long time. His Maryland teams were a train wreck and if you watched his last couple of years at Maryland he wouldn't even get up off bench and coach.  He did a horrible job at recruiting and developing guys. I wouldn't expect too many great results,  kind of like when Penn RTC made a big deal about Brandon Slay running it...How has that gone? Penn and Drexel have declined since hiring Slay and have been to probably 50 Clinics over the years and Slay is at the bottom

Edited by moveurfeet32

26 minutes ago, moveurfeet32 said:

McCoy is a class act and seems like a great guy but it shouldn't be forgotten he was probably one of the worst Head Coaches at a Major D1 program in a long time. His Maryland teams were a train wreck and if you watched his last couple of years at Maryland he wouldn't even get up and coach.  He did a horrible job at recruiting and developing guys. I wouldn't expect to many great results,  kind of like when Penn RTC made a big deal about Brandon Slay running it...How has that gone? Penn and Drexel have declined since hiring Slay.

Kerry did a great job while he was at Stanford. You forgot to mention that. He set a really great foundation to for Coach Borelli. Moving to the Big 10 was a hard move, and if you aren't getting the support  you need from admin, things could snowball into the situation he found himself in.

Well that's pretty much nonsense since Maryland is fully supportive.  He's an articulate guy and would love to see him try another avenue.  Wresting is very limiting.

6 minutes ago, CoachJSS said:

Kerry did a great job while he was at Stanford. You forgot to mention that. He set a really great foundation to for Coach Borelli. Moving to the Big 10 was a hard move, and if you aren't getting the support  you need from admin, things could snowball into the situation he found himself in.

Great? His best year they were 8-8 and finished 6th at Pac 10 Championships

On 6/8/2020 at 6:50 PM, moveurfeet32 said:

McCoy is a class act and seems like a great guy but it shouldn't be forgotten he was probably one of the worst Head Coaches at a Major D1 program in a long time. His Maryland teams were a train wreck and if you watched his last couple of years at Maryland he wouldn't even get up off bench and coach.  He did a horrible job at recruiting and developing guys. I wouldn't expect too many great results,  kind of like when Penn RTC made a big deal about Brandon Slay running it...How has that gone? Penn and Drexel have declined since hiring Slay and have been to probably 50 Clinics over the years and Slay is at the bottom

I totally agree with this, that Maryland situation was all on him. He needed to cut bait there 5 or so years into that gig. But instead, ran the program into the ground. 
I guess if you need to feed your family? But I’m on board here with saying, head wrestling coach , Kerry is not. So,Staying involved in the world’s greatest sport, I think he has something to offer.