Sign in to follow this  
wrestlingzen

USA Wrestling--Black Male Athletes' Experience

1 minute ago, Antitroll2828 said:

The current definition of racism in the Merriam-Webster states that it is “a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race”.

assuming an Asian man is better then you at math isn’t racist

But....you're believing that the man's race (Asian of some sort) is producing an inherent superiority at math....you literally just gave the definition....

2 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

The current definition of racism in the Merriam-Webster states that it is “a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race”.

using that definition is going to get rid of a whole bunch of moral outrage in this country...

that just will not do...

3 hours ago, MSU158 said:

I completely get what you are saying.  You not only have to "un-teach" all the hatred, fear and understanding, you have to also create an environment that minimizes the chances to form uneducated opinions.  Without significant integration, the lack of exposure is systemic to the problem.  Many racist opinions are based on perceived stereo types instead of a significant number of actual, diverse experiences.

I think there is a lot to what you are saying here.  I grew up in a small all white town with a notorious history of racism (unfortunatley it was actually featured on a national network this weekend in regards to racism)...however, through this sport I was competing around the country and world in HS.  So through that I was able to have experiences and form relationships with people of different races and cultures, much more than any of my classmates.  And I believe it shows when you compare my perceptions with many of my classmates.  The difference being that our little world in that town was not all I knew, but for the vast majority of my classmates it was.

1 minute ago, VakAttack said:

But....you're believing that the man's race (Asian of some sort) is producing an inherent superiority at math....you literally just gave the definition....

an inherent superiority at math does not equal the belief there is an and inherent superiority in race...

1 minute ago, LJB said:

an inherent superiority at math does not equal the belief there is an and inherent superiority in race...

They just twist words and meaning to try and make a point, but don’t ever dispute any of the substance of the point I’m making 

Just now, Antitroll2828 said:

They just twist words and meaning to try and make a point, but don’t ever dispute any of the substance of the point I’m making 

of course, it is lazy and counter productive but oh soooooo much easier...

2 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

4 minutes ago, LJB said:

https://theconversation.com/asians-are-good-at-math-why-dressing-up-racism-as-a-compliment-just-doesnt-add-up-128731

1.  It's not true.  Some Asian countries do well at math because they invest in STEM education, partially to reduce barriers ot immigration.  Some Asian countries are much lower at math.

2.  Even the most virulent racists in modern society don't think their race is superior at everything?  A common racist trope trotted out is that black people are more athletic but less hard-working.  Does the fact that the racist is acknowledging that, in his opinion, black people are more athletic (and thus, superior to him or her) make it not a racist idea?  Of course not.

Being racist doesn't mean that you think you're superior in ever facet because of your race.

Does racism exist...YES!  Will racism ever be 100% eliminated...NO!  Can we all agree on that?  Just like hateful people will never not be a thing...or mentally ill people.  Does that mean we don't continue to try and eliminate it...NO!  Does it mean American is the worst and the most evil place on earth...NO!  The majority of American's...including those on here disagreeing, are very good people who are not racist and want in general the same things.  But there are the fringes (hate groups) and those will never go away...but again we shouldn't stop trying to eliminate and reduce those.

I think the problem becomes when people get into the minutiae and details and/or have other motives (ie., make it political and/or about personal gain).  Systemic racism for instance...I bet if you polled every single one on here they would have a different opinion on the definition; thus, probably have a different answer as to if it exists.  If you ask me if it exists I would say no as I have yet to be shown actual facts of where it exists based on my known definition.  Does that mean it 100% doesn't exist, NO.  It could and if there are facts to back it up than it needs to change.  I don't think anyone on here would disagree with that.  Do people who look different than me experience things differently than me, I have no doubt!  Does that make me less understanding or "at fault" in some way...absolutely not!  I honestly don't believe there is a mass amount of racism in this country....what I do feel is we have a mass amount of closed mindedness and the lack of ability to truly listen to someone who is different then you (which includes race and/or opinion).

3 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

https://theconversation.com/asians-are-good-at-math-why-dressing-up-racism-as-a-compliment-just-doesnt-add-up-128731

1.  It's not true.  Some Asian countries do well at math because they invest in STEM education, partially to reduce barriers ot immigration.  Some Asian countries are much lower at math.

2.  Even the most virulent racists in modern society don't think their race is superior at everything?  A common racist trope trotted out is that black people are more athletic but less hard-working.  Does the fact that the racist is acknowledging that, in his opinion, black people are more athletic (and thus, superior to him or her) make it not a racist idea?  Of course not.

Being racist doesn't mean that you think you're superior in ever facet because of your race.

being racist does mean you think your race is superior overall regardless of individual stereotypes...

racism is ignorant, but, just being ignorant does not mean you are a racist...

4 minutes ago, 152lbs said:

And making ignorant assumptions based on someone's race is racist.  Thanks for making my point.

Serious question...for you does this hold true no matter what race the assumptions are being made about?

14 minutes ago, dman115 said:

Does racism exist...YES!  Will racism ever be 100% eliminated...NO!  Can we all agree on that?  Just like hateful people will never not be a thing...or mentally ill people.  Does that mean we don't continue to try and eliminate it...NO!  Does it mean American is the worst and the most evil place on earth...NO!  The majority of American's...including those on here disagreeing, are very good people who are not racist and want in general the same things.  But there are the fringes (hate groups) and those will never go away...but again we shouldn't stop trying to eliminate and reduce those.

I think the problem becomes when people get into the minutiae and details and/or have other motives (ie., make it political and/or about personal gain).  Systemic racism for instance...I bet if you polled every single one on here they would have a different opinion on the definition; thus, probably have a different answer as to if it exists.  If you ask me if it exists I would say no as I have yet to be shown actual facts of where it exists based on my known definition.  Does that mean it 100% doesn't exist, NO.  It could and if there are facts to back it up than it needs to change.  I don't think anyone on here would disagree with that.  Do people who look different than me experience things differently than me, I have no doubt!  Does that make me less understanding or "at fault" in some way...absolutely not!  I honestly don't believe there is a mass amount of racism in this country....what I do feel is we have a mass amount of closed mindedness and the lack of ability to truly listen to someone who is different then you (which includes race and/or opinion).

Well I couldn’t have to put better myself well done sir

5 minutes ago, 152lbs said:

And making ignorant assumptions based on someone's race is racist.  Thanks for making my point.

making ignorant assumptions just makes you ignorant...

this excuse mentality has to stop if you really want to make change...

6 minutes ago, 152lbs said:

So saying black athletes are more athletic white athletes is racist? Or is it just acknowledging that in fact in most cases it’s completely and utterly true

2003 was the last time the nfl had a white starting corner back, and it’s almost entirely has to do with that fact there has not been a white guy good enough or athletic enough to make it.

Are asians said to be good at math because of their dna, or because their countries are notoriously stringent about education?

i think you can argue it's not racist, but a sociological stereotype.

3 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

That’s the first of three definitions of racism. The third definition is simply racial prejudice or discrimination. So assuming an Asian man is better than you at math is racist.

Then there is VakAttack’s excellent point based on the first definition. 

So you’re just wrong at two different levels. 

Edited by Katie

Is there still a difference between racism and stereotype, or is it all now racism?  I’ve always made the distinction as a matter of causing some type of harm. Or another way to look at it, there are allllllllll kinds of stereotypes of whites in America. But you wouldn’t say the same or racism. 

3 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

So saying black athletes are more athletic white athletes is racist? Or is it just acknowledging that in fact in most cases it’s completely and utterly true

2003 was the last time the nfl had a white starting corner back, and it’s almost entirely has to do with that fact there has not been a white guy good enough or athletic enough to make it.

It’s literally NOT true that every single black person is more athletic than every single white person.

Making assumptions about random individuals based on an NFL statistic for a particular position seems pretty ridiculous.  

10 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Is there still a difference between racism and stereotype, or is it all now racism?  I’ve always made the distinction as a matter of causing some type of harm. Or another way to look at it, there are allllllllll kinds of stereotypes of whites in America. But you wouldn’t say the same or racism. 

all you have to do is disagree with someone to be called a racist in this country...

last year it was nazi...

next year it will be somehting else equally as derisive and void of any legitimate context...