Sign in to follow this  
wrestlingzen

USA Wrestling--Black Male Athletes' Experience

6 minutes ago, Katie said:

It’s literally NOT true that every single black person is more athletic than every single white person.

Perhaps that’s why he/she specifically didn’t say every single black person is more athletic than every single white person???

Edited by Lurker

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

Maybe that’s why he specifically didn’t say every single black person is more athletic than every single white person???

if you dare get in the way of her virtue signaling you might get your toes run over...

just a friendly warning...

8 minutes ago, LJB said:

all you have to do is disagree with someone to be called a racist in this country...

last year it was nazi...

next year it will be somehting else equally as derisive and void of any legitimate context...

That would make it very difficult for us to get anywhere. 

8 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Perhaps that’s why he/she specifically didn’t say every single black person is more athletic than every single white person???

If you think it’s a good idea to say “black athletes are more athletic [than] white athletes” when everyone seems to agree it’s not true, and when it meets the definition of racism, that’s up to you. 

Edited by Katie

That would make it very difficult for us to get anywhere. 

that is the world we live in...

or rather the world that is blasted on your channels and the youtubes and the social medias...

there are still real people who lead real lives in respectful ways out there... but they don't get clicks...

44 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

One of the highest honors in math is a Fields medal. Most are won be people of European descent. Looks like some people work harder than others for their SAT scores. 

http://stats.areppim.com/listes/list_fieldsxmedal.htm

Regardless of field, focusing on the minuscule number of the most exceptional performers does not provide you with any insight into everyone else, which is what we’re dealing with here.

Edited by Katie

11 minutes ago, Katie said:

If you think it’s a good idea to say “black athletes are more athletic [than] white athletes” when everyone seems to agree it’s not true, and when it meets the definition of racism, that’s up to you. 

It didn’t say either. What I said (or more so implied)  is that you twisted what the other person said to more align with your point of view. 

If you think that’s a good idea, and will lead to us figuring this whole thing out, that’s up to you.

Further, saying one race or group of people is, generally speaking, ‘better’ (for lack of better term ) at something than another is not in of itself racist. It’s inherently true in many cases because of vastly different cultures, society, and history.  Of course it doesn’t mean 100% across the board. 

I would also ask you to cite some kind of data for your view that , in this particular case, “everyone seems to agree it’s not true”, instead of going straight to the racist card.  He/she provided data for his/her point of view showing evidence to support it. 

Edited by Lurker

7 minutes ago, Lurker said:

It didn’t say either. What I said (or more so implied)  is that you twisted what the other person said to more align with your point of view. 

If you think that’s a good idea, and will lead to us figuring this whole thing out, that’s up to you.

Further, saying one race or group of people is, generally speaking, ‘better’ (for lack of better term ) at something than another is not in of itself racist. It’s inherently true in many cases because of vastly different cultures, society, and history.  Of course it doesn’t mean 100% across the board. 

I would also ask you to cite some kind of data for your view that , in this particular case, “everyone seems to agree it’s not true”, instead of going straight to the racist card.  He/she provided data for his/her point of view showing evidence to support it. 

The handful of random online dictionaries I have looked at define racism as including racial prejudice.

I’m sorry you feel offended that I pointed out that someone’s argument about racism is contradicted by dictionaries.

8 minutes ago, Katie said:

The handful of random online dictionaries I have looked at define racism as including racial prejudice.

I’m sorry you feel offended that I pointed out that someone’s argument about racism is contradicted by dictionaries.

The fact that you are now going to me being offended because I’m expressing a different point of view continues to show, in my opinion, you are more a part of the problem than a part of the solution.  

The notion of blacks being better athletes is based on their heritage, background, and history, not racial prejudice. Is it racist to say, generally speaking, Orientals, generally speaking, are better at karate, judo, etc is than whites? Or is before their heritage, background, and culture led to it? 

7 minutes ago, Lurker said:

The fact that you are now going to me being offended because I’m expressing a different point of view continues to show, in my opinion, you are more a part of the problem than a part of the solution.  

i am thinking katie should change her name to karen...

9 minutes ago, Lurker said:

The notion of blacks being better athletes is based on their heritage, background, and history, not racial prejudice. Is it racist to say, generally speaking, Orientals, generally speaking, are better at karate, judo, etc is than whites? Or is before their heritage, background, and culture led to it? 

If you think it’s acceptable to just casually use an offensive term for Asian people, you should probably educate yourself before getting into a conversation about race. 

9 hours ago, MSU158 said:

Hell, I would bet that nearly 100% of white people have used the n word to describe a black person. 

Uh no? I’ve never used it. I’ve heard it here or there and always call out the people who say it. It has probably been a decade since I’ve heard it outside of recordings. 

I grew up in Atlanta and am in my 30s

1 minute ago, Katie said:

If you think it’s acceptable to just casually use an offensive term for Asian people, you should probably educate yourself before getting into a conversation about race. 

I have honestly never seen where referring to someone from the Orient region of the world as an oriental is offensive.  If I’m wrong I’ll educate myself. 

Now, would you like to actually respond to what I’ve said? Would you care to answer the question I asked, of course substituting the appropriate term for the offensive I used?  Would you like to ask me any questions?  Or would you like to continue to find any little thing to pick at because I have a different point of view, instead of having a solid discussion that might actually do some good?

It appears it’s not deemed such an offensive or racist term after all. Glad I educated myself. 

From urban dictionary (I could also cite a few articles written by this very group of people if you’d like?) 

a word that simply means "eastern". It refers to anything or anyone from the "East". "Oriental" was first applied mainly to Mesopotamia, Persia and maybe India because those lands were east of the Roman Empire. Later on ancient China was found to be more than a myth and so the previous "Orient" became known as the "Near" or "Middle" East and East Asia was now tagged as the "Orient" or the "Far East". Because of the geography the term "Oriental" came to be applied to the cultural aspects, the peoples and other things from the "Far East". Of course, "Western" is used to refer to anything or anyone from Europe, North America and such.
1. "Oriental" is a term generally applied to the "race"/ethnicities that inhabit the region from Myanmar (formerly Burma) all the way to Korea and Japan. It's a term referring to geography ("East") and is not an offensive or slur word. Some politically correct people in America think it is but I've known some Koreans, Japanese, Vietnamese and others from the Orient in college and they do not find the word to be offensive at all.

It appears it’s not deemed such an offensive or racist term after all. Glad I educated myself. 

From urban dictionary (I could also cite a few articles written by this very group of people if you’d like?) 

a word that simply means "eastern". It refers to anything or anyone from the "East". "Oriental" was first applied mainly to Mesopotamia, Persia and maybe India because those lands were east of the Roman Empire. Later on ancient China was found to be more than a myth and so the previous "Orient" became known as the "Near" or "Middle" East and East Asia was now tagged as the "Orient" or the "Far East". Because of the geography the term "Oriental" came to be applied to the cultural aspects, the peoples and other things from the "Far East". Of course, "Western" is used to refer to anything or anyone from Europe, North America and such.
1. "Oriental" is a term generally applied to the "race"/ethnicities that inhabit the region from Myanmar (formerly Burma) all the way to Korea and Japan. It's a term referring to geography ("East") and is not an offensive or slur word. Some politically correct people in America think it is but I've known some Koreans, Japanese, Vietnamese and others from the Orient in college and they do not find the word to be offensive at all.

If you think that Urban Dictionary is a good source of information, then maybe you shouldn’t educate yourself. So let me help you. Check Merriam Webster or Dictionary.com.

Just now, Katie said:

If you think that Urban Dictionary is a good source of information, then maybe you shouldn’t educate yourself. So let me help you. Check Merriam Webster or Dictionary.com.

karen...

you finally got one...

you go, guuuurl...

14 minutes ago, Katie said:

So does that mean you would or would not like me to cite the articles written by people in this very group saying it is not a racist/offensive slur?

Another question, do you always avoid answering direct questions on the topic at hand, or just from those who have a different point of view?

I can see there’s really no way for this to be productive, so I’ll leave you with those last two. And enjoy the rest of your night. 

adjective. (usually initial capital letter) of, relating to, or characteristic of the Orient, or East; Eastern. of the orient, or the eastern region of the world or heavens: oriental countries;stars in the oriental sky. ... fine or precious; orient: oriental agate; oriental garnet.
image.png.8e53f61b2eb5c4cae9d3935e73965bc3.png
Dictionary.com › browse › oriental
Edited by Lurker

2 hours ago, Katie said:

Regardless of field, focusing on the minuscule number of the most exceptional performers does not provide you with any insight into everyone else, which is what we’re dealing with here.

Did you miss my point? 

1 hour ago, Katie said:

Hey Katie, real quick: here's a link to a recent NYRB article that discusses Edward Said's book Orientalism (1978): https://www.nybooks.com/daily/2019/05/20/orientalism-then-and-now/

Not trying to be presumptuous--I had it to hand, and I thought you might find it of interest. 

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

So does that mean you would or would not like me to cite the articles written by people in this very group saying it is not a racist/offensive slur?

Another question, do you always avoid answering direct questions on the topic at hand, or just from those who have a different point of view?

I can see there’s really no way for this to be productive, so I’ll leave you with those last two. And enjoy the rest of your night. 

adjective. (usually initial capital letter) of, relating to, or characteristic of the Orient, or East; Eastern. of the orient, or the eastern region of the world or heavens: oriental countries;stars in the oriental sky. ... fine or precious; orient: oriental agate; oriental garnet.
image.png.8e53f61b2eb5c4cae9d3935e73965bc3.png
Dictionary.com › browse › oriental

There’s really no reason for me to take you seriously. You used an offensive term for Asian people. You defended your use of that term. And in making your defense, you claimed that Dictionary.com supports your position when it definitely does not. 

Amazing how a bunch of white people believe it makes perfect legitimate sense to get together on the interwebs to tell black people the correct ways to define, experience, and react to racism.  This includes what language to use, how to appropriately express discontent, and to empathetically apply what they see as flaws in logic (reverse racism) to opressed white people.

Isnt this pretty much exactly racism?  Good grief...

Edited by matts1w

43 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

I hadn't heard it to be offensive as much as incorrect. Objects are oriental, people are Asian.

Many consider it an "old timey" word that goes back to the days of colonalism (French Vietnam, Dutch Indonesia, etc...).

Again, if most Asians don't love the word and prefer it head to the archaic pile, why do a bunch of white people feel it OK to tell them, "Nope, its fine."  How hard is it to just say Aisan and be respectful?

2 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Uh no? I’ve never used it. I’ve heard it here or there and always call out the people who say it. It has probably been a decade since I’ve heard it outside of recordings. 

I grew up in Atlanta and am in my 30s

So you are saying you never once said the word and because you haven’t recently heard people say it in person, they have never, not once said it?  If that is true, awesome. But, that still doesn’t mean I am less correct. Nearly 100%(let’s say 95% to give it a number)of how 234 million white people in the US still means almost 12 million people haven’t said it.  But, that still leaves roughly 222 millions that have. 

Feel free to adjust that for those under 12 or so that most likely haven’t had the exposure to the word or extended their vocabulary to vulgarity as of yet.