82bordeaux

Stevo Poulin commits

just because i am tired, i will point out the obvious...

who is NC State's coach?

where does he come from?

where does steveo come from?

how long do you think the relationships between the two families have been cultivated?

and mostly, how respected of a coach is popolizio?

4 hours ago, LJB said:

who is NC State's coach?

where does he come from?

how long do you think the relationships between the two families have been cultivated?

and what is a popolizio and a poulin?

ftfy :)

Edited by ionel

6 hours ago, LJB said:

who is NC State's coach?

where does he come from?

and what is the last name of his club coach/assistant coach at his high school? 

Edited by AHamilton

6 hours ago, MadMardigain said:

This was the most likely choice of his based on connections and the fact NC State has moved up in status.  While nothing is ever 100%,  him making it on campus as a freshman is decently solid bet.  

Agreed, Popolizio is from Schenectady and Shen is 10 minutes down the road, he stays.

15 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

and what is the last name of his club coach/assistant coach at his high school? 

... and does he have any high schhol/club teammates currently on the NC State team or committed to join the wolfpack?

6 hours ago, LJB said:

who is NC State's coach?

where does he come from?

Agreed, Popolizio is from Schenectady and Shen is 10 minutes down the road, he stays.

So much for him burning out before high school.

Sky is the limit for Stevo should he remain healthy. 4 time AA and multi-time finalist isn't a stretch for him.  He'll be competitive out of the gate without a red-shirt (but maybe take one and let Spenser Lee vacate 125 and see about making a run as a 4X NC).

1 minute ago, PSUSMC said:

Sky is the limit for Stevo should he remain healthy. 4 time AA and multi-time finalist isn't a stretch for him.  He'll be competitive out of the gate without a red-shirt (but maybe take one and let Spenser Lee vacate 125 and see about making a run as a 4X NC).

I agree he’s phenomenal, but I don’t see 4 titles

4 minutes ago, PSUSMC said:

i'm going to admit that as a youth wrestler, i was not very impressed with stevo...

the hype generated by that silly vid just did not live up to the reality... i would watch his matches when ever he traveled outside of NY and the technique just did not inspire me at all... 

plus, add in the fact he did not wrestle the real styles and i was just very luke warm on him overall...

i could not be any more impressed with him now... after that first year at fargo, clearly something clicked... i really appreciate his wrestling now and have for the last several years... he has definitely earned all the accolades that have come his way recently...

8 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

With the new NCAA rules regarding athletes being able to profit off their likeness, I think that he could have made some decent money at a big time program (I don’t follow HS wrestling at all, but know who he is from YouTube). 

Fair point, but that can work at other schools too.

For example, Even a guy as good and credentialed at Cenzo was almost ignored because PSU had so many stars. 

If Poulin can be the next Hidlay and lead the team to the next level, he will get plenty of endorsements and the like (or whatever is allowed)

In terms of his collegiate career, I think Stevo's main issue is going to be his size. He's a small dude. He wasn't able to compete for a state title as an eighth-grader because he was too small to wrestle scholastically. He won a state title at 99 pounds as a Freshman , and 106 pounds as a Sophomore. This past season, as a junior, he won a state title at 113 pounds (he likely would have stayed at 106 had Greg Diakomilhalis not vacated 113, IMO). Let's hope Poulin has a growth spurt in the next year or two, because he will need more bulk if he wants to enjoy the same level of success against collegiate wrestlers.