82bordeaux

Stevo Poulin commits

8 hours ago, wrestleFan12 said:

In terms of his collegiate career, I think Stevo's main issue is going to be his size. He's a small dude. He wasn't able to compete for a state title as an eighth-grader because he was too small to wrestle scholastically. He won a state title at 99 pounds as a Freshman , and 106 pounds as a Sophomore. This past season, as a junior, he won a state title at 113 pounds (he likely would have stayed at 106 had Greg Diakomilhalis not vacated 113, IMO). Let's hope Poulin has a growth spurt in the next year or two, because he will need more bulk if he wants to enjoy the same level of success against collegiate wrestlers.

He and Kurt McHenry would really benefit from 118 returning.

On 6/10/2020 at 5:47 PM, PSUSMC said:

So much for him burning out before high school.

Sky is the limit for Stevo should he remain healthy. 4 time AA and multi-time finalist isn't a stretch for him.  He'll be competitive out of the gate without a red-shirt (but maybe take one and let Spenser Lee vacate 125 and see about making a run as a 4X NC).

I certainly hope for the best for young Mr. Poulin but at this point I would not even say he is a shoo in to start right away.  Jakob Camacho looked really good last year especially at the end of the year.  If you haven't seen him torch Jack Mueller the undefeated returning NCAA runner up in the ACC finals I would advise you to watch it.  Camacho looked great and I believe he would have AA'd if they actually wrestled the NCAAs.  He has 3 years left and I would not be surprised if he spent all 3 at 125 lbs. Full disclosure I am a bit biased as Camacho is a CT kid.  I was actually sitting in the opposite corner from him when he won his 1st CT state open title.  He will be a junior when Poulin is a freshman.  

PS - Poulin will be a senior in HS this year and graduate in 2021.  He will not have to RS to avoid Spencer Lee as Lee will also graduate next year. (providing Spencer doesn't Oly RS next year)

Edited by lu1979

8 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

zero titles; zero AA finishes. NCAA Div. I is the big leagues and it takes more than a mohawk and some youtube videos to succeed.

does it take being a fargo AA?

multiple time state champion?

super 32 champ?

how about a cadet world team member?

mook...

3 hours ago, Fletcher said:

We're not allowed to make predictions anymore?

somebody call the WAAAAAAMMMMBULANCE!!!

clearly, you haven't followed since 2009...

made an a$$ of yourself...

got the five fingers...

came crawling back...

stevo is legit by anyone's standards...

I see a possible bottleneck here for NC State...They already have Camacho who is a strong contender to AA @125 next season. They also brought in Noto (also from NY) who is a 4 time state champ and hits campus this fall as a 125# prospect...I'm sure he redshirts this year...Now you bring in a hometown relate in Stevo in 2021..Hey, not a bad problem to have I guess but somethings got to give...Maybe Popolizio has a wild plan to move some bodies around and go for a 125-141 trifecta for 2022 in Camacho's final season...Poulin-Noto-Camacho (or vice versa)...On the flip; NC already has a few good 133lbers? Kind of a John Smith/Cael "crowd the room" scenario in some of their weights!!

30 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

You can’t predict his size in college. Plenty of guys grow into 125/133 from 113. He still has a year of high school and a redshirt year. Most guys end up being just fine size wise. 

we will see

Remember: Spencer Lee will never be big enough for 125! While still not big for the weight, he consistently overpowers almost everyone he wrestles.

15 hours ago, LJB said:

somebody call the WAAAAAAMMMMBULANCE!!!

clearly, you haven't followed since 2009...

made an a$$ of yourself...

got the five fingers...

came crawling back...

stevo is legit by anyone's standards...

We get it - you've got a hard-on for Poulin for some reason. Just don't let it turn into a Big/Nickerson kind of thing; that was creepy.

He is young yet, but I watched a match of his from state against a 7th grader and a greco match against a Peru wrestler. He has some very bad habits that will keep him from having success at higher levels if he doesn't make changes.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

On 6/10/2020 at 5:59 PM, LJB said:

i'm going to admit that as a youth wrestler, i was not very impressed with stevo...

the hype generated by that silly vid just did not live up to the reality... i would watch his matches when ever he traveled outside of NY and the technique just did not inspire me at all... 

plus, add in the fact he did not wrestle the real styles and i was just very luke warm on him overall...

i could not be any more impressed with him now... after that first year at fargo, clearly something clicked... i really appreciate his wrestling now and have for the last several years... he has definitely earned all the accolades that have come his way recently...

It never fails that you have the worst opinion in the thread

17 hours ago, El lucador said:

He is young yet, but I watched a match of his from state against a 7th grader and a greco match against a Peru wrestler. He has some very bad habits that will keep him from having success at higher levels if he doesn't make changes.

To be fair, that 7th grader went on to win the state title a year later and is currently nationally ranked before ever stepping foot in high school....Zack Ryder is himself a very special talent.  

As far as GR, that could be lack of experience; I am not sure how much Greco he has done in his life.  He has always been more of a folk/free kid.    Assuming the match you are talking about is from the 2018 Pan-American Cadet Championships, it is worth noting that during that same weekend he won the gold in freestyle by outscoring his opponents 40-0.

I think Stevo is going to surprise a lot of the doubters!

No, I'm not calling for 4 national titles but the kid is a very hard worker and is a sponge. Coach Pop is great and will help him with making the necessary adjustments to be successful at the next level. I think he makes a big jump his redshirt year. 

I'll go..4x NQ, 3x AA

To be fair, that 7th grader went on to win the state title a year later and is currently nationally ranked before ever stepping foot in high school....Zack Ryder is himself a very special talent.  

As far as GR, that could be lack of experience; I am not sure how much Greco he has done in his life.  He has always been more of a folk/free kid.    Assuming the match you are talking about is from the 2018 Pan-American Cadet Championships, it is worth noting that during that same weekend he won the gold in freestyle by outscoring his opponents 40-0.
He creates bad pressure. He leans and pushes. He will not be able to bull around DI wrestlers and will pay for his bad position and over pushing if he doesn't adjust. He's getting away with it by being stronger and more physical but in college that advantage will go away and he will be left with only being out of position.

17 minutes ago, El lucador said:

He creates bad pressure. He leans and pushes. He will not be able to bull around DI wrestlers and will pay for his bad position and over pushing if he doesn't adjust. He's getting away with it by being stronger and more physical but in college that advantage will go away and he will be left with only being out of position.

OK, so he redshirts and takes some lumps. Then he grows, qualifies and eventually wins an AA or two.  That is what I see happening.   Seems like a good kid who loves wrestling.

OK, so he redshirts and takes some lumps. Then he grows, qualifies and eventually wins an AA or two.  That is what I see happening.   Seems like a good kid who loves wrestling.
I'm not disrespecting the kid just critiquing what I see as his biggest shortcoming on the mat. I'm not saying he won't be successful just that he will have problems if he doesn't make adjustments. As a Minnesota guy I said there was no way Dylan Ness and Seth Gross would ever have success a in college. So I tend not to make predictions anymore. Every year I am surprised by wrestlers who just don't pan out and by those who come out of nowhere.