1 hour ago, Gantry said:

Will gladly pay that for some wrestling and to support the wrestlers, the RTC and Beat the Streets Chicago. 

I'm still going to pay too.  Just saying that I hope the event is a success, but I'm not the most optimistic.

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 2:03 PM, ShakaAloha said:

I'm excited for JO-Nolf, but you have a good point.  $19.99 is a lot to ask for during these times, especially when there is no JB, Snyderman, J'Den, Dake, or DT on this card.  

All of the money raised will go to the athletes, with the percentage that is leftover going to Chicago BTS.  There is no Dana White doling out money or a company that needs to pay for this or that. Every athlete and RTC was assigned a percentage and what the event makes is what they are going to get.  While $20 is a lot, if it helps think of it as paying JO and Nolf a dollar each to wrestle or Lugo and Pletcher a dollar each to wrestle and so and so on.  These are great matches with a great cause behind them.  Events like this are important not just for the event itself but to ensure that wrestling will have a strong support system moving forward. 

2 hours ago, IllinoisRTC said:

All of the money raised will go to the athletes, with the percentage that is leftover going to Chicago BTS.  There is no Dana White doling out money or a company that needs to pay for this or that. Every athlete and RTC was assigned a percentage and what the event makes is what they are going to get.  While $20 is a lot, if it helps think of it as paying JO and Nolf a dollar each to wrestle or Lugo and Pletcher a dollar each to wrestle and so and so on.  These are great matches with a great cause behind them.  Events like this are important not just for the event itself but to ensure that wrestling will have a strong support system moving forward. 

Including those still enrolled in college?

I'm excited for JO-Nolf, but you have a good point.  $19.99 is a lot to ask for during these times, especially when there is no JB, Snyderman, J'Den, Dake, or DT on this card.  

If you can't spare $20, I'd suggest a career change. $20?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

On 6/18/2020 at 12:01 PM, nhs67 said:

So after JO beats Nolf soundly, is that going to make folks shutup about Nolf > Retherford? 

Nolf is better than retherford and so is nickal. Oliver looks much improved and will beat retherford  the next time they wrestle in my opinion. 

14 minutes ago, GoNotQuietly said:

I see JO going up by like 6 in the first period, and Nolf going absolutely nuts trying to come back. 8-7ish decision, but not sure who.

I wish i thought that was the case, but JO is a more disciplined wrestler than he was in 2016. This contrasts with how Nolf's problems in free may flow from his ability bail himself out of bad positions in folk....

I've said it before but I think these guys are the same size. Nolf is stuck between weights but going up cause he needs his gas tank to win world,  and JO is just huge for 65K.

3 hours ago, Wrestlingfan25 said:

Nolf is better than retherford and so is nickal. Oliver looks much improved and will beat retherford  the next time they wrestle in my opinion. 

People have been saying this since JO was banned from competition a few years back.

The best JO will ever do is what he's already done. Zain has a few more years we'll see improvement out of him yet, whereas JO is going to start slowing down.

As far as Nolf being better, I'd like to ask where you have data that supports this. If you go off of common opponents the last 3-4 years,the contrary is proven. Zain has beaten guys Nolf has lost to. Nolf hasn't beaten guys that Zain has lost to.

3 hours ago, cjc007 said:

Do you pay $20 for every single sporting event or tv show you watch? Of course most people can spare that, but it’s the principle of having to spend that much to view one event. Imagine having to pay that to watch a single NFL game. Would you watch three or four a week like many fans do? I’d certainly pay that to watch the Super Bowl, but would you pay that to watch a single preseason game that’s just for fun?  I pay for Flo and I pay for many big events on Track. There has to be a cutoff somewhere tho. If it was priced in line with other events (maybe $10 max) I would consider it. Don’t get me wrong I’m glad they are doing the event and I hope they make a profit. I just personally don’t like the idea of overpaying for an exhibition match

21 hours ago, cjc007 said:

I already said I am gonna pay and support the event.  I hope everyone supports this event, but like someone else on this thread pointed out, when you have fans complaining about the price of 1 month of Flo...that doesn't make me the most optimistic about a single event that costs $7 more.

I purchased and will not be watching due to prior obligations next weekend. Just glad to be able to support our athletes and let my money talk. It says "More events and this sport wants a broader audience!"

7 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

I purchased and will not be watching due to prior obligations next weekend. Just glad to be able to support our athletes and let my money talk. It says "More events and this sport wants a broader audience!"

PM me your log in info if you aren’t going to use it  :)

Do people honestly think that JO, who can't regularly beat Zain Retherford at 65kg, is going to beat a guy who might very well be just as good (2-1-1-1) as Retherford, but 20lbs heavier? 

Let me say that again: Nolf competes at a weight 20lbs heavier than JO. And I'd argue that he has a superior engine. JO is going to have a hard time getting to legs, let alone keeping it up. 

3 hours ago, Le duke said:

Do people honestly think that JO, who can't regularly beat Zain Retherford at 65kg, is going to beat a guy who might very well be just as good (2-1-1-1) as Retherford, but 20lbs heavier? 

Let me say that again: Nolf competes at a weight 20lbs heavier than JO. And I'd argue that he has a superior engine. JO is going to have a hard time getting to legs, let alone keeping it up. 

How many times has Zain beaten JO?

3 hours ago, Le duke said:

Yes.

Zain has never lost to someone that Nolf has beaten. Zain has also beaten people(plural) that Nolf has lost to.

To believe that Nolf will defeat Oliver based on size alone is ridiculous. He won't be stronger or faster than JO... and I doubt he'll even be much heavier-if at all..  Taller? Sure.

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

Yes.

Zain has never lost to someone that Nolf has beaten. Zain has also beaten people(plural) that Nolf has lost to.

To believe that Nolf will defeat Oliver based on size alone is ridiculous. He won't be stronger or faster than JO... and I doubt he'll even be much heavier-if at all..  Taller? Sure.

Sorry, it escapes me but who has Zain beaten that Nolf has lost to?

The only guys that I can think of that have beaten Nolf are IMar (folk and free), Mark Hall (free) and James Green (free).  Am I missing anyone?  Did Zain beat Green in the 2016 Trials at 65kg?

8 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

The only guys that I can think of that have beaten Nolf are IMar (folk and free), Mark Hall (free) and James Green (free).  Am I missing anyone?  Did Zain beat Green in the 2016 Trials at 65kg?

Yes Zain beat Green 9-2 after Green took a 2-0 lead.

2 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

Also Jimmy Kennedy.  There was one other.  Forget who off the top.

4 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Yes.

If you believe that's true: do you think that Nolf is capable of cutting down to 65kg?

Because that's the implication here. That they are the same size. Jason Nolf, who won three NCAA championships at 157, and will be wrestling for the foreseeable future at 74kg/163lbs, is close to the same weight as a guy who is wrestling at 65kg/143lbs? 

I really doubt that. Unless they are in vastly different portions of their training cycle right now, no way they are even close to the same weight.

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I'll add that Zain beating Kennedy was within a couple months of Kennedy beating Nolf.

Nolf was up 6-0 on Kennedy then seemed to have a brain fart. 

That being said I think JO gets an early lead then neither winning would surprise me.  They’re two of my favorite college wrestlers the past 10 years, but I guess I lean JO if I have to choose.

4 minutes ago, Le duke said:

If you believe that's true: do you think that Nolf is capable of cutting down to 65kg?

Because that's the implication here. That they are the same size. Jason Nolf, who won three NCAA championships at 157, and will be wrestling for the foreseeable future at 74kg/163lbs, is close to the same weight as a guy who is wrestling at 65kg/143lbs? 

I really doubt that. Unless they are in vastly different portions of their training cycle right now, no way they are even close to the same weight.

They have entirely different builds, and are cut from different cloth.  JO has wrestled 70 keggers many times in his career and he said that even those cuts aren't very fun for him, but easy since he's been cutting a very long time.

JO is a musclebound guy from a school that is notorious for cutting a LOT of weight.

Nolf is not musclebound, nore is he cut. 

They are not weighing in for this bout, and it is offseason.

I think if 70kg was an Olympic weight, both Nolf and Oliver would be wrestling there.  So while Nolf may be a little bigger, it's not a monumental difference like the 20 pounds between their weight classes would suggest.