VakAttack

Top 5 Penn State wrestlers of all time

Discussed on FRL today, I'm putting mine down here before I listen to their lists:

1.  Ed Ruth

2.  Zain Retherford

3.  David Taylor

4.  Bo Nickal

5.  Jason Nolf

I debated this A LOT when I saw the FRL topic, but I haven't listened to their lists.  I feel like maybe people will find Ruth as #1 to be controversial.  Honestly, I debated a long time on putting Taylor over Retherford, too.

15 minutes ago, gowrestle said:

Splitting hairs but list is good. If Bo didn’t have a 1 second lapse against Martin in the finals as a freshman, he would have been a 4 timer. 

Nolf got taken down in the final 10 seconds to lose in the finals his freshman year ...nickel ended up losing like 11-6, Martin planted him on his back twice, bo also lost to Martin the next year and dropped one to Nate Jackson....nolf only lost to Imar in the big 10s in OT? And in the finals his freshman year 

1. Bo Nickal
2. Jason Nolf
3. Ed Ruth
4. Zain Retherford
5. David Taylor

If we are going off of their collegiate records and accomplishments only.  If we are factoring in the eye test, my list would be a little different.

Not saying they should be on the list, but who pre-Cael should be considered? Mccoy is a hodge winner right? Jeff Prescott....Kolat if you want to get really technical about it. 

Going by "greatness" In my eyes...

1.Retherford (2 Hodges, wrestled as a true freshmen and beat Stieber, no telling what happens if he is redshirted)

2. Taylor (3 position monster, unlucky that he was overlapping with Dake)

3. Nolf (Won NCAAs with one leg, Imar is better than Nickal had to deal with...accept maybe Dean...)

4. Ruth (Something about his style never made my jaw hit the floor)

5. Nickal (honestly I find him a little arrogant and am probably taking it out on him. God knows what I would be like if i was that good.....)

Edited by hammerlockthree

Splitting hairs but list is good. If Bo didn’t have a 1 second lapse against Martin in the finals as a freshman, he would have been a 4 timer. 
Losing in the big ten semi's hurt Bo as well.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Not saying they should be on the list, but who pre-Cael should be considered? Mccoy is a hodge winner right? Jeff Prescott....Kolat if you want to get really technical about it. 

Going by "greatness" In my eyes...

1.Retherford (2 Hodges, wrestled as a true freshmen and beat Stieber, no telling what happens if he is redshirted)

2. Taylor (3 position monster, unlucky that he was overlapping with Dake)

3. Nolf (Won NCAAs with one leg, Imar is better than Nickal had to deal with...accept maybe Dean...)

4. Ruth (Something about his style never made my jaw hit the floor)

5. Nickal (honestly I find him a little arrogant and am probably taking it out on him. God knows what I would be like if i was that good.....)

It’s tough to put Ruth ahead of Bo when they have a common opponent Bo beat a better version of, the guy that Ruth split with his senior year 

Edited by Antitroll2828

3 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

It’s tough to put Ruth ahead of Bo when they have a common opponent Bo beat a better version of the guy that Ruth split with his senior year 

Thats a good point, and I won't try to mitigate it except to say I don't think I have to contort my list on the basis of any one match. 

Edited by hammerlockthree

5 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Good point, did anyone else on the list take a loss this "ugly". 

Nolf career loses -Imar big 10 finals his freshman year then the ncaa finals and the inj def to van brill in the dual his junior year 

Zain- lost steibler in the big tens and ncaa semis, then dropped a wrestle back to Port I believe 

Nickel- lost Nate Jackson and Myles his freshman year and dropped a big semi to Martin his sophomore year 

Taylor- Jenkins in his freshman final and Dake in his junior year final and scuffle that year ( and the all star meet, but that didn’t count towards there records) 

Ruth- was 2 seed his freshman year and lost to Amuchastegui in the quarters and came back for 3rd and his next lose was his senior year scuffle to freshman Gabe dean 

1 minute ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Nolf career loses -Imar big 10 finals his freshman year then the ncaa finals and the inj def to van brill in the dual his junior year 

Zain- lost steibler in the big tens and ncaa semis, then dropped a wrestle back to Port I believe 

Nickel- lost Nate Jackson and Myles his freshman year and dropped a big semi to Martin his sophomore year 

Taylor- Jenkins in his freshman final and Dake in his junior year final and scuffle that year ( and the all star meet, but that didn’t count towards there records) 

Ruth- was 2 seed his freshman year and lost to Amuchastegui in the quarters and came back for 3rd and his next lose was his senior year scuffle to freshman Gabe dean 

I forgot about Nate Jackson, thats not a great loss either.

10 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I watched him get teched more then once last year, I don’t believe he ll ever reach anywhere near the levels Ed did 

We'll see.  He was raw incoming and improved greatly as his redshirt year progressed.

If we're including pre and post collegiate accomplishments, along with the eye-test then Taylor is the best of all the Penn State guys.  Zain would be #2, Ruth #3, and the others still have time to pass Ruth.  I also think it's a shame there were no NCAA's this year because Cenzo and Hall would warrant consideration on this list as well...and possibly Brooks would have a nice start to making this list.  

3 hours ago, gowrestle said:

And if Martin didn't have a one second lapse against Bo, he would have been a 2 timer.

3 hours ago, gowrestle said:

Thats a very poor argument in light of the fact that Martin beat him twice. 

Makes way more sense to say Taylor would have been a 3X.

In terms of NCAA hardware alone, it's:

• T1- Nickal (2-1-1-1)
  • T1- Nolf (2-1-1-1)
  • 3- Ruth (3-1-1-1)
  • 4- Retherford (5-1-1-1)
  • 5- Taylor (2-1-2-1)

I consider making a world team to be more difficult than winning an NCAA title, and world/Olympic competition to be more difficult than that. So when freestyle's included, my top five would be:

• 1- Taylor (world/Olympic 1 + NCAA 2-1-2-1)
  • 2- McCoy (world/Olympic 4-5-4-2-7 + NCAA 1-3-1)
  • 3- Kolat (world/Olympic 2-3-4-9 + NCAA 2-3)
  • 4- Retherford (world/Olympic 11-26 + NCAA 5-1-1-1)
  • 5- Abe (world/Olympic 30-15-11 + NCAA 4-3-2-1)

Edited by Katie

Quinten Wright isn’t to far off any of these guys he took 6th as a true freshman before Cael got there then redshirted and went 1,2,1, if he had just redshirted right away like nickel, nolf, cenzo good chance he’s a 4x finalist