grappler6

Wrestling’s Back! BTS Chicago

I really don't have any idea what the venue will be like, but the weather forecast for Chicago around start time tomorrow is 77F with a 50% chance of thunderstorms. I'm sure the forecast will change a few times between now and then, since it's Chicago, but hopefully bad weather won't be an issue. I'm also curious about who will be doing the PBP for the event - I am unfamiliar with Fite media.

5 hours ago, pamela said:

I really don't have any idea what the venue will be like, but the weather forecast for Chicago around start time tomorrow is 77F with a 50% chance of thunderstorms. I'm sure the forecast will change a few times between now and then, since it's Chicago, but hopefully bad weather won't be an issue. I'm also curious about who will be doing the PBP for the event - I am unfamiliar with Fite media.

It will be interesting to see who does the PBP!  Hope the weather cooperates, and all goes well.

13 hours ago, ionel said:

Yep gotta love Illinois, the southern half hillbillies and the northern half gangbangers, don't know why any want to live there, maybe it's the attraction of the huge deficit and the corrupt governors.  ;_;

After growing up in southern IL and went to undergrad in central IL, but after moving to Chicago over a decade ago I can’t even keep track anymore of how many times I have been shot. Plus every 6-12 months I wake up in a bath tub of ice and realize someone stole another one of my kidneys. It’s super duper scary in Chiraq I don’t know how the millions of us can stand to live here and that global companies are based out of this town. Crazy that the Windy City is where they were able to bring together such an awesome event tonight to help our athletes repping our great sport!

17 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

After growing up in southern IL and went to undergrad in central IL, but after moving to Chicago over a decade ago I can’t even keep track anymore of how many times I have been shot. Plus every 6-12 months I wake up in a bath tub of ice and realize someone stole another one of my kidneys. It’s super duper scary in Chiraq I don’t know how the millions of us can stand to live here and that global companies are based out of this town. Crazy that the Windy City is where they were able to bring together such an awesome event tonight to help our athletes repping our great sport!

So are you saying you are a hillbilly turned gangbanger or now a gangbanger-hillbilly?  Appears maybe you didn't listen closely to all of that kinfolk advice, they said "Californy is the place you ought to be" not Chiraqo.  ;)

did JO or Nolf even try to score a real point? My god what a boring match.. Lugo clearly too big for Pletcher imo and had a dominant win. Best match of the night was Sanders vs. Richards. The greco/Freestyle match with Downey was zzz

10 hours ago, ionel said:

So are you saying you are a hillbilly turned gangbanger or now a gangbanger-hillbilly?  Appears maybe you didn't listen closely to all of that kinfolk advice, they said "Californy is the place you ought to be" not Chiraqo.  ;)

I grew up in rural IL with so many guns, bows and (illegal for our state) crossbows hunting squirrel, deer, and turkey that I reckon I’m one of them gangbangerbillies. Hopefully the first time I see a gun in Chicago I know what to do...

I thought the event on a whole was wonderful.  I do wish Nolf and JO would have opened up a bit, but it was clear that this version of JO was wrestling not to lose.  That means he respect(s) Nolf and his high level abilities.  Nolf has a wonderful ability to make his own offense off of anything, which is what makes him so dangerous against anyone.  That same sort of respect isn't something that JO gives to Retherford, as we often see them let if fly.  This tells me that JO also had a deep respect for Nolf due to him coming up in weight.  JO often does compete at 70 keggers (154lbs), however 175 is atraining weight.  I think he was just concerned about going all out that high up.  That said size was not an issue here, and while shorter he did appear to be thicker.  If they wrestle again, Nolf will win.  Nothing about that match told me JO had much of anything for him, except respect.

I wanted Pletcher to win.  That said, Lugo dominated.  He was faster and stronger, and... *gulp* taller.  Which is something new for him, I think.  In any situation, he showed there are weight classes for a reason.  I am very curious to see what their agreed upon weight was, as I still see Pletcher as a darkhorse for 65 keggers.  Lugo definitively looked thicker than Pletcher, and would need to adjust his style of living to make 143, I believe, so it very well c(w)ould be a different type of match at competing weight.  All props to Lugo here, as he did what he was supposed to do.

Rau is just better than Downey right now.  Conditioning appears to be a heavy factor.  Disappointed by this match all-around and none of it is due to the match that was wrestled.

Props to Taffur for taking a match on such short notice, however it was evident that he wasn't at a level of conditioning that was going to do him many favors against someone who'd been preparing for this for several weeks.

Richards-Sanders was easily the match of the night.  I am becoming more and more of a Richards fan every time I see him wrestle.  He isn't flashy, and he never will be.  He is as gritty as they come, though, and unless you end the match, you better be ready to get puched right in the mouth(proverbially speaking) for the entire match.

Big Braun beating Pfarr was a pleasant surprise.  I think that says more about Braun than it does Pfarr.  It appeared to me that Braun took the match a bit more serious and came in in better shape, with more pop to his step right out the gate.  I would expect a different outcome if they went at it again.

Lil Braun I believe also came in just as prepared, however Kulch came in with the intention of ending on the highest note possible.  Well done.  Big fan.

I think McKee was the favorite here.  He has always been better at free than folk, and Dardenes has quite been the opposite.  That said, McKee seems to be at the right weight and this is his style.  I am looking forward to seeing him on the senior level for the next 5 years(or so).

I'll admit that I wasn't familiar with the other matches, however both winners appeared much better with fast techfalls.  I did expect a show with the girls match, as it was billed as they had gotten the top two girls in the nation for the match.  Not disappointed, just surprised.

9 hours ago, Perry said:

did JO or Nolf even try to score a real point? My god what a boring match.. Lugo clearly too big for Pletcher imo and had a dominant win. Best match of the night was Sanders vs. Richards. The greco/Freestyle match with Downey was zzz

It was disappointing that the Nolf and JO match was cancelled.  I was looking forward to Nolf big brothering him like Lugo did to Pletcher.  I was sure that JO would shoot 2-3 times in the first period and score at least one takedown given his speed.  I figured Nolf would get his hands on JO and win by several points before the match ended.  

Because of how the NCAAs finished this season, I liked the #1 v #1 matchup and I liked the activity between Lugo v Pletcher.  That was my favorite match.  The youth matches were entertaining.  Palumbo looked dominant against a bigger opponent and she had a nice throw out of bounds.  Joey Ruzik seemed technical but Aaron Stewart was fast on his feet and muscled past Ruzik when needed.  

9 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Did they ever say why Palacio didn't wrestle?

I asked the same question earlier in the thread.  The only reason I can think of is maybe Palacio didn't want to pay Ness $1000 if he were to take him down?