Sign in to follow this  
SetonHallPirate

Classless...

After the final match of the night, I heard from some (small, fortunately) subsection of the Penn State crowd chanting "OVERRATED" with respect to Kyle Dake. I was going to give them a piece of my mind, but fortunately, they stopped before I had a chance to get over there. I just wanted to say, and put this out there as a Public Service Announcement, that there is NO PLACE in this sport for that sort of thing, when Kyle just did something that's only been done by two others in the long history of the sport!

After the final match of the night, I heard from some (small, fortunately) subsection of the Penn State crowd chanting "OVERRATED" with respect to Kyle Dake. I was going to give them a piece of my mind, but fortunately, they stopped before I had a chance to get over there. I just wanted to say, and put this out there as a Public Service Announcement, that there is NO PLACE in this sport for that sort of thing, when Kyle just did something that's only been done by two others in the long history of the sport!

Get real. There's WAY more positive than there is negative. Read around!

Iowa fans take a lot of flack for being classless, but they showed a lot of appreciation for Dake last night after he beat Taylor. Hats off to the Hawkeye fans for that.

They were still on cloud 9 from DSJ. And everyone should have been clapping for Dake.

Iowa fans take a lot of flack for being classless, but they showed a lot of appreciation for Dake last night after he beat Taylor. Hats off to the Hawkeye fans for that.

Would they have done the same for Taylor? I have my doubts,... and no one is taking the classless/clueless fan title from the Hawk faithful anytime soon.title

Would they have done the same for Taylor? I have my doubts,... and no one is taking the classless/clueless fan title from the Hawk faithful anytime soon.title

I don't like their antics, in general. But I do appreciate the Iowa fans love of the sport. Last year they booed Dake, this year they celebrated him. Odds ducks.

The original poster continues to promote the college he attended that dropped wrestling. He has no credibility. If he really cared about wrestling he would change his screen name.

I was there last night sitting next to the PSU section. I saw only great sportsmanship from that group. I have only read positive posts here from Penn State fans.

The guy from the school located in South Orange should get lost.

The guy from the school in South Orange just spent three entire days running a live blog for all of us (FAR more than most internet fans have done for the sport!) - I say he should stay!

I will agree with the Flying Tiger, though, that it is usually a small minority who misbehave - sometimes, maybe its better to just ignore them? :roll: Most PSU fans seem to be taking the high road here.

The guy from the school in South Orange just spent three entire days running a live blog for all of us (FAR more than most internet fns have done for the sport!) - I say he should stay!

Stay on this forum Red Blades, you'll see everything you need. Take the good with the bad.

I'd say 95% of the fans in the area were gracious, friendly, just plain awesome people who rooted for their teams and their individuals with class. They got excited, but remained appropriate. It's the 5% that seem to ruin it. Sandy Stevens ask for silence while the colors are being retired and people are yelling obnoxious rude things as Veterans who fought for our freedom are carrying our flag. How rude. How do they not feel shame during that? People laughing when McDonough got beat out? How heartless can someone be?

As said 95% of the people were great people, it's the 5% who seem to stick out.

And everyone should have been clapping for Dake.

So what do you say to group that you associate yourself with when they chanted something like this?

I agree with SHP, it was highly inappropriate and totally uncalled for.

So what do you say to group that you associate yourself with when they chanted something like this?

I call it bogus. EVERY fan base has the classic tards! Who's your fan base? No need to single out PSU, it's everywhere bro. And seriously, addressing them here is the appropriate thing? Come on.

Scavenge up and down these threads and you'll see nothing but praise for what was done.

Well, weren't they fortunate! :roll:

SHP, at least admitted it was a small (hopefully intoxicated) group of fans. Let's not turn this into one of these threads, because we all have plenty of ammo and this is how wars start.

I wanted Taylor to win so bad...... just got beat by the better wrestler. Dake finally has the respect he's always deserved.

Are you positive they weren't referring to Taylor?

Are you positive they weren't referring to Taylor?

IMO, this is just as classless. Same way people on this board hate on Taylor all the time. Dake is one of the greats no doubt, but if we are in gym class picking teams for wrestling who do you pick?

how do those fans rate the kid the overrated kid beat, for the fourth time?

It was a small section from the Penn State crowd, yes (and I know it was the Penn State crowd because their section was behind me to my left, whereas the Cornell fans were on the other side of the arena). You can bet that most of the Penn State fans were appreciative, and the Penn State fans that regularly show up at events are some of the best in the sport. Unfortunately, this was a small but notable exception, but this is one of the few times where I feel it would have been appropriate to call them out if even one single person started shouting the same.

Sorry I couldn't respond quicker to this thread's rapid expansion, but I was at the airport in an abortive attempt to get onto my flight home (or, more accurately, in a successful attempt to get bumped and get myself some Delta Dollars to pay for next season's travel).

Classless...Topic. Surprised to see this from SHP. A "small group" huh. What next, create a new topic the next time we see a fan from some team pee on a tree and attempt to cast a dark cloud over the entire fan experience? C'mon, you're better than this.

Classless...Topic. Surprised to see this from SHP. A "small group" huh. What next, create a new topic the next time we see a fan from some team pee on a tree and attempt to cast a dark cloud over the entire fan experience? C'mon, you're better than this.

I normally wouldn't make this post. But I feel like Kyle Dake's achievement is beyond a single person in the arena booing. It's a special achievement, one that hasn't been seen in at least a dozen years, and definitely won't see next year. (some would argue that the four weights is a special achievement that hasn't been seen in our lives, but I won't make that argument)

ANYBODY (yes, I mean, even one person) who did such a thing would provoke a similar reaction from me. It's a shame that, as JohnnyThompson said, a small group of people (and it probably was 5% of the Penn State section, tops) seem interested in embarassing themselves in this regard, and I have absolutely no problem calling them out and adding to their embarassment. They know who they are.