Sign in to follow this  
Swayz

Njcaa season to be Jan. Comp start

Wrestling will be a spring semester sport.  

One month of practice permitted in the fall semester before taking a two month break before the championship season starts in the spring.   

• The 2020-21 NJCAA Wrestling season has been altered to protect the best interest for student-athlete health and safety.  NJCAA Wrestling programs will be permitted to hold fall practice starting October 1, 2020, concluding October 31, 2020.  Regular season practice will be permitted to begin starting January 1, 2021.  Competition will be permitted to begin starting January 20, 2021.  The 2021 NJCAA Wrestling Championship will be held April 23-24 at the Mid-America Center in Council Bluffs, IA.

https://www.njcaa.org/general/2019-20/releases/20200616eut4zh

Like it.  When I was on the board of the NWCA back in the 90s I pushed this.  Use the first semester to get the young guys acclimated to college study demands, conditioning, etc.  Second semester, begin with competition, take advantage of the warm weather for weight management, everyone who is academically eligible to start will be eligible for the end, avoid media competition with b-ball's March Madness, championship in late April, still almost two months afterwards to focus on grades without the stress of travel and competing.

1 hour ago, Coach_J said:

Like it.  When I was on the board of the NWCA back in the 90s I pushed this.  Use the first semester to get the young guys acclimated to college study demands, conditioning, etc.  Second semester, begin with competition, take advantage of the warm weather for weight management, everyone who is academically eligible to start will be eligible for the end, avoid media competition with b-ball's March Madness, championship in late April, still almost two months afterwards to focus on grades without the stress of travel and competing.

Agree coach - I like it as well and it may set a new precedent for being a spring sport. One potential downfall are those kids who don't make it academically during spring semester can use the summer to get caught up and eligible for Fall - however if you are doing that. you might be in the danger zone for spring again anyway. 

I am guessing the two month lapse between is a COVID related issue that if someone does contract it (or many) there is a built in 2 month layoff. Can teams do "unofficial - volunteer" practices/workouts during that 2 month time? 

1 hour ago, Idaho said:

Agree coach - I like it as well and it may set a new precedent for being a spring sport. One potential downfall are those kids who don't make it academically during spring semester can use the summer to get caught up and eligible for Fall - however if you are doing that. you might be in the danger zone for spring again anyway. 

I am guessing the two month lapse between is a COVID related issue that if someone does contract it (or many) there is a built in 2 month layoff. Can teams do "unofficial - volunteer" practices/workouts during that 2 month time? 

"unofficial-volunteer" that's what clubs and "Regional Training Centers are for