Sign in to follow this  
jackwebster

Is this year gonna happen? What then?

Flo's talk about recruiting classes, team line-ups, post-grad moves, etc leaves me uneasy. They need to put out content and you can only dwell on the apocalypse for so long, but the chatter seems a little head-in-the-sand. I know that a lot of this depends on what happens with football, but I don't think this year's gonna happen. 

I teach hs and our admin has warned us that we will not be returning to the classroom in the fall. If colleges don't and f-ball is cxed, some have speculated that NCAA wrestling might be done for good.

What are your contingency plans? I imagine private clubs will carry on. They might organize locally for leagues, maybe like youth stuff. Without our connection to higher ed, what will wrestling look like?

If colleges don't and f-ball is cxed, some have speculated that NCAA wrestling might be done for good.

NCAA wrestling will continue as long as there is an NCAA. There are more than 2x as many non-D1 NCAA teams as D1, and most of them are revenue-positive for the schools that sponsor it.

I think there will be a season if they can get approval to move it to the spring semester (or at least until after the new year).  It's possible that schools simply cancel the season though given the lost revenue from football and then extend an extra year of eligibility to everyone (as they did for spring sports last year), but let's hope it doesn't come to that.  If that is the case, I think college coaches will still get paid and they will honor scholarships for the athletes-not sure how this will look on the HS level..Aren't most coaches also teachers and covered by a union?

Edited by Billyhoyle

5 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

I think there will be a season if they can get approval to move it to the spring semester (or at least until after the new year).  It's possible that schools simply cancel the season though given the lost revenue from football 

I'm guessing that 95% of college football programs are revenue-negative.

2 hours ago, klehner said:

I'm guessing that 95% of college football programs are revenue-negative.

I’m more referring to the power 5 football schools-the ones that are most important for D1 wrestling. You’re right that lost football revenue won’t impact smaller D2, D3, NAIA though, but I don’t follow those divisions.

57 minutes ago, Chrissn2001 said:

23 players for Clemson's football team tested positive...certainly doesn't help.  I'm growing less and less confident each day.  

And:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/kansas-state-suspends-voluntary-workouts-for-two-weeks-after-latest-round-of-covid-19-testing/

If football doesn't work its hard to expect any wrestling till at least Jan 2021.

Edited by ionel

I am not counting on contact sports for the 2020/2021 seasons at any level.  The economics are too problematic and pocket outbreaks seem to be a regular occurrence.

Edited by 152lbs

2 hours ago, buck said:

As a gym teacher but what else?

There are many more skills necessary to be a successful coach than what you are saying, and more skills than you are implying is necessary to teach physical education.  That view is a problem.

23 hours ago, ionel said:

Is it true the 2021 NCAA tournament has been moved to an out door venue on the open sand hills of western Nebraska?   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

one could only hope... i would love it

but most, including the wrestlers wouldn't like it much..

as baxter said it's cold on the prairie 

400px-OpenRangeColtSAA-11.jpg

20 hours ago, buck said:

No season=no job for wrestling coaches.  Finding a real job with no marketable skills will put many coaches in a tough spot.

These aren’t football coaches we are talking about.  Most of the D1 coaches, especially the younger ones, work toward or have graduate degrees in various areas not directly related to coaching (or gym). Doesn’t Bryan Snyder have a PhD?  My point is these men would be fine and have crafts that extend beyond wrestling.  Again, most D1 coaches would be plenty marketable and find a ‘real job’ without difficulty.  

1 hour ago, GockeS said:

one could only hope... i would love it

but most, including the wrestlers wouldn't like it much..

as baxter said it's cold on the prairie 

400px-OpenRangeColtSAA-11.jpg

Plus there's:

yeah some folks might not like it.  

3 hours ago, Schuteandscore said:

There are many more skills necessary to be a successful coach than what you are saying, and more skills than you are implying is necessary to teach physical education.  That view is a problem.

A family member of mine teaches gym and he says its nothin. Pretty much says all you have to do is come up with activities and know how to wrangle in a bunch of kids. Every now and then write reviews of his coworkers and do some minor paper work. Has no homework to grade. He himself has said it's cake. Gets paid as much as a non phys ed teacher and does half the work. 

How to pass out towels properly is actually difficult.  Chewing your fingernails between yelling "get to your offense" is not a transferrable skill.

16 minutes ago, buck said:

How to pass out towels properly is actually difficult.  Chewing your fingernails between yelling "get to your offense" is not a transferrable skill.

It's hard to tell if you are trolling or that stupid....Everyone knows someone who loves to hire wrestlers because of their work ethic and ability to show up and give 100% everyday.