jackwebster

Is this year gonna happen? What then?

2 hours ago, BTC said:

A family member of mine teaches gym and he says its nothin. Pretty much says all you have to do is come up with activities and know how to wrangle in a bunch of kids. Every now and then write reviews of his coworkers and do some minor paper work. Has no homework to grade. He himself has said it's cake. Gets paid as much as a non phys ed teacher and does half the work. 

A LOT of Phys Ed. teachers today absolutely suck........... teaching NO skills or fundamental body movement. I now see a lot of grown young men not having even a clue how to properly throw a a freakin ball. Frankly it sounds like your family member is one of these type.

Properly teaching Phys ed. is plenty of work.

Maybe just maybe physical education should extend beyond throwing a ball or playing badminton. I learned how to work hard in wrestling, but i never learned to diet or workout for the long term until my 30s.

Then again, its easy to forget that our ideas of fitness for the masses is a pretty new concept. Imo, weights, cardio, diet and how to maintain such a routine should all be taught. Otherwise, whats the purpose on phys ed?

Edited by russelscout

buck.......... that is sooooooooo wrong there are fundamentals to body movement ......... those fundamentals can be and used to be taught. It's just that quite awhile back maybe the 80's Phys Ed. was downgrade to "a waste of time". Now you have a BUNCH of fat lazy kids being raised...... NOT all but PLENTY.

4 minutes ago, AKHUNTER said:

buck.......... that is sooooooooo wrong there are fundamentals to body movement ......... those fundamentals can be and used to be taught. It's just that quite awhile back maybe the 80's Phys Ed. was downgrade to "a waste of time". Now you have a BUNCH of fat lazy kids being raised...... NOT all but PLENTY.

This was the program jfk was pushing.

37 minutes ago, AKHUNTER said:

A LOT of Phys Ed. teachers today absolutely suck........... teaching NO skills or fundamental body movement. I now see a lot of grown young men not having even a clue how to properly throw a a freakin ball. Frankly it sounds like your family member is one of these type.

Properly teaching Phys ed. is plenty of work.

I agree there are a lot of phys ed teachers that suck. I remember a couple in particular. One was fat and the other was always pissed off. Those two factors definitely made it hard to have any respect for them as far as gym teachers go. 

Honestly what is so hard about being a P.E. teacher? I'm genuinely asking cause getting paid 60k+ a year to play games and occasionally teach a health class seems pretty darn easy relative to the other teaching positions throughout a school, especially if it's high school. As for kids being fat and out of shape that's completely on the parents. I dont think you can put that on a person who spends about 50 minutes a day with them. Like buck said, some kids are just flat out spazzes. 

18 hours ago, buck said:

Wake up we're talking about wrestling coaches here.  

I don’t understand your point of view and why you are interested in this forum if that’s how view leadership in our sport, as well as insulting the teaching profession.  

17 hours ago, BTC said:

I agree there are a lot of phys ed teachers that suck. I remember a couple in particular. One was fat and the other was always pissed off. Those two factors definitely made it hard to have any respect for them as far as gym teachers go. 

Honestly what is so hard about being a P.E. teacher? I'm genuinely asking cause getting paid 60k+ a year to play games and occasionally teach a health class seems pretty darn easy relative to the other teaching positions throughout a school, especially if it's high school. As for kids being fat and out of shape that's completely on the parents. I dont think you can put that on a person who spends about 50 minutes a day with them. Like buck said, some kids are just flat out spazzes. 

The hard part is classroom management. It’s much more work in PE than other subjects. Imagine trying to teach a skill or concept to 30 kids who are just running around thinking it’s recess. Sure, you could not care and just let them do whatever they want but if you actually care about educating them, it’s not an easy job.

Buck, the skills that Successful wrestling coaches possess are the same skills and attitudes that bring success in every area. Work ethic, drive, confidence, mental toughness, Perseverance, etc. Since you used Brands as an example, I can almost guarantee that he would be successful in any area he decides to commit to. The level of passion and work ethic that he possesses are extremely rare and if applied in any field, it will lead to success. This is a common theme for many successful wrestlers 

4 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

The hard part is classroom management. It’s much more work in PE than other subjects. Imagine trying to teach a skill or concept to 30 kids who are just running around thinking it’s recess. Sure, you could not care and just let them do whatever they want but if you actually care about educating them, it’s not an easy job.

I can see how classroom management would be the hardest part. My whole thing is people are making it out to seem like it's as hard or harder than a class that deals with giving out homework and is a tough subject to teach and learn from the students perspective. Not trying to knock anyone who is a PE teacher but dont compare its difficulty level to a Math, Science and English teacher that have to deal with hundreds of assignments every week. 

5 hours ago, BTC said:

I can see how classroom management would be the hardest part. My whole thing is people are making it out to seem like it's as hard or harder than a class that deals with giving out homework and is a tough subject to teach and learn from the students perspective. Not trying to knock anyone who is a PE teacher but dont compare its difficulty level to a Math, Science and English teacher that have to deal with hundreds of assignments every week. 

Fair point. The grading part is much easier than other subjects. English has to be the worst for that! But I don’t think anyone was arguing that it is as tough as teaching other subjects in that regard. Teaching in general is not an easy job. Physically it is easy, but dealing with some student’s behavior is emotionally and mentally draining. PE is one of the tougher subjects in that regard.

I'm not going to hijack this thread and make it about P.E., but as an Elementary Physical Education teacher(not gym teacher) I can tell you it's much more than just rolling out a ball and blowing a whistle when it's time for the class to leave. May not seem like a a lot of work because we do get to play a lot of games, so I guess some might be jealous that we get to run around outside or in a big gymnasium and play games while others are stuck in a room teaching math? But there's lot more that go into it than just playing games. That's not what it is from the beginning of class till the end. There are different models of teaching P.E. and to each his own. But I can say being at the elementary level there is a lot of motor skill development being taught, lots of mechanics, evaluations of students that may need OT or PT, etc. In addition, it's a great class for teaching teamwork, sportsmanship, problem solving, etc. As for the PE teacher that just comes up with activities and then wrangles them up, that's the exact kind of PE teacher that gives us a bad rap. 

And I think the chances of their being HS or college wrestling this year are less than 10%. 

Who made the comparision between elementary PE teachers and college level wrestling coaches?  I think we can (hopefully) agree that those are different positions that require different skillsets.

Has there been any concrete news about the D1 season?  That is what I clicked on this thread to find out...

Edited by lost

On 6/22/2020 at 5:23 PM, BTC said:

I understand your point here, especially since I teach 9th grade English, but the response to Buck had to do with his view of the teaching profession as a whole.  I also think comparing it to a head coaching role at the division 1 level is also way off the mark.  After reading other comments from him in other threads recently, I see he’s just trolling.  There is no need to waste anymore time on someone who posts nonsense with zero substance and zero credibility to the crap that dribbles out of his mouth.  If you want a chuckle every now and then, he’s your guy.  If you want to have a logical discussion, might want to look elsewhere.

21-year old PSU student dies of covid complications.

https://news.psu.edu/story/624840/2020/07/02/administration/penn-state-student-dies-covid-19-complications-allentown

I think I’m at the point that I wouldn’t be surprised to see no NCAA sports until second semester.    But I’m somewhat optimistic there may be a vaccine by then

58 minutes ago, Cooch1 said:

I heard there is a new strain/mutation taking place. May have to start all over if it can't be contained. Anybody else hear this?

A single point mutation would not be enough to render a vaccine ineffective. Furthermore, the mutation you are referring to isn’t even in the part of the virus that recognizes the host cell so wouldn’t impact the ability to neutralize an infection. 

I taught elementary PE for one year.  I had three classrooms at a time, 65-75 kids at a time, 450 a day.  I didn't even attempt to teach specific sports and sports skills like you may generally think.  With that many kids no way they would get anything out of it.  We played all kinds of games, games that required lateral movement, jumping, changing levels, there was throwing involved, kicking involved, etc etc etc, but we played few "recognized sports".  Their bodies were learning athletic movements and they brains didn't even know it.