nom

Potential for no Greco in 2024 Olympics?

I wouldn’t say it’s the dumbest thing ever... 

I have no problem with it actually...

but, it is not Greco... and if the best of all the styles is replaced with sand, it will be a sad day indeed...

MMA is mostly non athletes or real atletes that are no longer able to compete in their real sports... 

so, watered down to begin with... 

and then how much the IOC would have to water it down to make it a one day tourney format would make it totally unwatchable...

You are right, I can't say beach "wrestling" is the dumbest.  Ball grabs and two out of three periods was pretty bad.  Also the 3 point must system as well as clinch rules also stunk.  

As a lifetime Greco guy, I must admit Greco as a consumer product is not where it should be right now.  We fixed freestyle after the ball-grab era, and I think it is possible to fix Greco.  One thing I would like to see is a MUCH smaller mat.  This is an idea Ivan Ivanov had to create the pushing necessary to create big throws, and the increase in action when we do it in the room is jaw-dropping.

13 hours ago, GoNotQuietly said:

As a lifetime Greco guy, I must admit Greco as a consumer product is not where it should be right now.  We fixed freestyle after the ball-grab era, and I think it is possible to fix Greco.  One thing I would like to see is a MUCH smaller mat.  This is an idea Ivan Ivanov had to create the pushing necessary to create big throws, and the increase in action when we do it in the room is jaw-dropping.

I had never thought of this, yet it makes so much sense. I guess the concern is that it would turn into sumo, but honestlyly, sumo is a lot more exciting than greco is right now anyway, so even that would be an improvement.

I had never thought of this, yet it makes so much sense. I guess the concern is that it would turn into sumo, but honestlyly, sumo is a lot more exciting than greco is right now anyway, so even that would be an improvement.

Well, Ivan is a Greco genius, so it never surprises me when he comes up with something simple haha. To the Sumo point, they weigh that much so they can’t get freaking launched, but look how hard they are pushing and imagine a 70-80kg with a decent arm throw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

I would have no problem if they replaced greco. I think it’s a bad product and the USA sucks at it for the most part. 

Obviously it is not a bad product or many other countries wouldn't prefer it to freestyle. Also, whether the US is good or not has no bearing on anything.

IMO, high level Greco is boring.  Defense and positioning are so good that there are so few throws. and the risk/reward ratio does not favor the aggressive wrestlers.

Maybe the smaller ring can help

1 hour ago, ConnorsDad said:

Obviously it is not a bad product or many other countries wouldn't prefer it to freestyle. Also, whether the US is good or not has no bearing on anything.

It's not quite that simple. Tradition has a lot to do with it. The Scandinavian countries have always preferred Greco going back to when it was a much better product. The decades long incremental decline isn't going to change that. This could be due to tons of factors that don't include how good of a product it is. For example, is it closer to the country's traditional form of wrestling or folkstyle? The major reason freestyle has always been more popular in the US is because it's way closer to folkstyle than greco is.

The problem isn't that Greco is losing fans. The problem is that it's not generating new ones. A long time Greco fan can appreciate the nuanced handfighting and positioning that dominate the sport currently. A new fan cannot. All they see is two guys pushing in the center of the mat and nothing happening.

37 minutes ago, pamela said:

Would it be worth it to get all the World weight classes (and then some, maybe) for MFS/WFS in the Olympics?

In the US, most likely. Around the world, I don’t know. Thinking about all the 12/13 year old kids around right now with their eye on 2028/32, not only as an athletic goal but a way out of some not so fortunate living conditions.