spladle08

Pletcher (DarkHorse?)

12 hours ago, spladle08 said:

Its crazy we have so many seemingly top tier guys who CAN beat the top world level guys, but beating 2 or 3 in a row seems literally IMPOSSIBLE

Not to hijack the thread, but the US has a guy who has consistently proven at the senior level to win. He just can’t make it to the world team (yet??)

Not to hijack the thread, but the US has a guy who has consistently proven at the senior level to win. He just can’t make it to the world team (yet??)
He has found a way to pull out a W against a ton of tough hombres and its truly impressive. Hopefully he's spent the last few months upping his game.
This year its all JO though.
And I'm also not convinced your horse can beat McKenna or Retherford consistently, going to be a tough ask to make the team

6 hours ago, boconnell said:

Your prediction gets an A for boldness but an F for prognosticatory accuracy.

I don't know that this is a fair statement.

What was the agreed upon weight of last night's bout?

Lugo is a horse. Very physically powerful, similar to GHulk. That said, if the bout was at 65 keggers (143lbs) or less, then I agree. If it was 149lbs+ then I don't believe you can accurately state he is a prognosticatory failure.

Lugo definitely looked bigger than Pletcher - but he certainly looked impressive.  He controls the ties quite well and his reattack ability is starting to become his best trait.  Was punishing Pletcher for taking bad shots.  If he can handle the cut to 65 without many ill affects, he can make some noise.

Edited by Gantry

Your prediction gets an A for boldness but an F for prognosticatory accuracy.
Hahaa I feel all the shame. :( Lugo looked strong and that defense was on point.
@nhs67 I was under the impression there were no weigh-ins for this, but if Lugo can look that solid at 65kg hes gonna be tough.
@Gantry Lugo was always a tough dude to take down so I figured it might be low scoring, but he showed some things, wil be interesting to see how he looks down to weight, could pull an upset or 2, or look like James Green

Im just excited to have competition back.

I don't know that this is a fair statement.

What was the agreed upon weight of last night's bout?

Lugo is a horse. Very physically powerful, similar to GHulk. That said, if the bout was at 65 keggers (143lbs) or less, then I agree. If it was 149lbs+ then I don't believe you can accurately state he is a prognosticatory failure.

I just re-watched, without a kid draped over me lol, Lugo looked all of 160lbs lol but  anyways. Onto* the Flo event in a month

22 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

I was impressed by Lugo.  Do you guys think he could be effective at 65 kg?

Did the outcome of the Lugo-Pletcher match change anyone's predictions for the Pletcher-Ashnault match on Flo?

Weight shouldn't limit his effectiveness.  He just got done making 149 under folk rules for 4 years and I don't remember hearing about the weight ever being an issue.  Who knows how good he'll be.  At this point he bullied a smaller guy with little senior FS experience.  It is interesting that outside of JO most of our 65 kg guys are on the small side.

Weight shouldn't limit his effectiveness.  He just got done making 149 under folk rules for 4 years and I don't remember hearing about the weight ever being an issue.  Who knows how good he'll be.  At this point he bullied a smaller guy with little senior FS experience.  It is interesting that outside of JO most of our 65 kg guys are on the small side.

I thought that same thing. I thought '

"I wonder if Lugo can even make 143"... then I saw JO looking enormous... and thought: "yeah no sweat"

Yeah I think Lugo was all of 160 as well. He strikes me as a guy who just manages his intake well year-round. So if he is 160 that doesn't mean 143 is easy for him. He'll have the Pantaleo effect. Too small for 74 but too big for 65. He could do well at 70 keggers, though, with the right coaching and club. 

2 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

I was impressed by Lugo.  Do you guys think he could be effective at 65 kg?

Did the outcome of the Lugo-Pletcher match change anyone's predictions for the Pletcher-Ashnault match on Flo?

Definitely think Lugo can be effective at 65kg and I would say this did change my thoughts on Pletcher vs Schaulty.  Pletcher just isn't that big, it showed against Lugo.  Schnaulty was 70kgs and was a good sized 49 pounder when he won NCAAs.  He's walking around 15 pounds lighter than both those guys if I had to guess.  So unless this is with real 65kilos weighin Ash will have a size advantage and likely takes it.

1 hour ago, Gantry said:

Definitely think Lugo can be effective at 65kg and I would say this did change my thoughts on Pletcher vs Schaulty.  Pletcher just isn't that big, it showed against Lugo.  Schnaulty was 70kgs and was a good sized 49 pounder when he won NCAAs.  He's walking around 15 pounds lighter than both those guys if I had to guess.  So unless this is with real 65kilos weighin Ash will have a size advantage and likely takes it.

Shnaulty also has length on him, too.

Don't think Lugo is sniffing 65 keggers, though. He's stout.

1 hour ago, Gantry said:

Agreed 100%

40 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Lugo is pretty buff, but he has a year to change his frame and get down to 65.  We are a lot deeper and top heavy at 74, so his only chance to make a run would be at 65 imo.

45 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

You really think he could make 149 weekly (sometimes multiple times a week), but he can't make 143 a few times a year?  

Edited by boconnell

8 hours ago, boconnell said:

You really think he could make 149 weekly (sometimes multiple times a week), but he can't make 143 a few times a year?  

Making 143 a few times a year may not be an issue.  Until a grappler makes the drop and does it effectively, though, it is difficult believing he can be effective.  Some wrestlers are cut out for it, and have shown it in the past.  You're talking a guy who is already in great physical shape due to personal requirements on physical fitness, that has been 149lbs for the last 5 years.  I don't buy it(yet).

8 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

Lugo is pretty buff, but he has a year to change his frame and get down to 65.  We are a lot deeper and top heavy at 74, so his only chance to make a run would be at 65 imo.

When was the last time he weighed in under 145?  A year or not, he has to want to do it.

35 minutes ago, shieldofpistis said:

Has McKenna taken a back step?  Do you think Nick Lee should be favored over Mckenna?

Why would Nick Lee be favored over McKenna?  McKenna just beat Yianni a few months ago while Nick Lee just lost his last match in college. He's also 1-2 against McKenna.

Edited by DocBZ

20 hours ago, DocBZ said:

Why would Nick Lee be favored over McKenna?  McKenna just beat Yianni a few months ago while Nick Lee just lost his last match in college. He's also 1-2 against McKenna.

Nick Lee has looked super stellar, but man Mckenna just seems made for Freestyle, I would like to see the match either way!