gobraves101905

Kennedy Monday enters the portal

My best guess is he will go to a top academic institution on the east coast. 

1. Princeton - his brother goes there. Meets all the criteria. My best guess 

2. UVA - close by, good coaches, good academics. Not sure if he wants to stay in conference though and risk wrestling his teammates. Seems like he is still close with them. Not sure if that matters 

3. Stanford - super far away and they have a stud 165 already. Other than that, it’s a good fit

Hoping it’s Princeton. That team is going to be amazing this year. 

7 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Going from UNC to UVA doesn't make much sense....slight upgrade academically for a downgrade in terms of program....but its hard to say this transfer stuff often has a personal twist.

Yeah I hear you, but I’m not sure why he is leaving exactly, and I assume it isn’t because the academics are bad. He would want to stay in an academically rigorous school and UVA is the closest realistic option. 

i would be surprised if he went there, but it’s more likely than any other ACC school I think

9 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Going from UNC to UVA doesn't make much sense....slight upgrade academically for a downgrade in terms of program....but its hard to say this transfer stuff often has a personal twist.

UVA is a major upgrade (not to put down UNC either)  UVA ranks as the second be public institution in this country, only surpassed by Cal Berkeley. 

9 minutes ago, ionel said:

OSU - pretty sure he knows someone who went there

OSU is so much worse academically than UNC. 

If he wanted better coaching/partners, there are plenty of options that are better academically than OSU. 

I don’t mean to bash UNC coaching either. They are really solid. His partners are ok too, but maybe he wants a PSU type room? I don’t know why he is leaving, but it does appear that it wasn’t a falling out with the coaches or wrestlers. 

3 minutes ago, jeffrideal said:

UVA is a major upgrade (not to put down UNC either)  UVA ranks as the second be public institution in this country, only surpassed by Cal Berkeley. 

I wouldn’t say major. 

UNC is ranked 29th. UVA is ranked 28th.  

there are UNC programs ranked ahead of UVA. 

I’d say they are pretty much comparable 

I was going to respond by saying that Princeton doesn't accept transfers, but since 2018 it does.  Says only for those who have completed freshman or sophomore years elsewhere.  They'd really be breaking precedent to admit someone with just one year remaining.

5 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

OSU is so much worse academically than UNC. 

If he wanted better coaching/partners, there are plenty of options that are better academically than OSU. 

I don’t mean to bash UNC coaching either. They are really solid. His partners are ok too, but maybe he wants a PSU type room? I don’t know why he is leaving, but it does appear that it wasn’t a falling out with the coaches or wrestlers. 

who said he is leaving for academics?  If that's the case why not MIT or Cambridge? 

3 minutes ago, jdalu75 said:

I was going to respond by saying that Princeton doesn't accept transfers, but since 2018 it does.  Says only for those who have completed freshman or sophomore years elsewhere.  They'd really be breaking precedent to admit someone with just one year remaining.

Do we know if he could be a grad transfer, perhaps? He's been at UNC for 4 years.

20 minutes ago, ionel said:

who said he is leaving for academics?  If that's the case why not MIT or Cambridge? 

I didn’t say he was leaving for academics. 

it’s safe to assume he will want to be in a good school. He isn’t going to go to a bad academic school I’m assuming. That limits his options. 

This one is a kick to the groin for me. Monday was one of the original wrestlers for Coleman Scott that helped UNC gain momentum as a program. His upset of 2 seed Joey Lavalee in the first round of the NCAA tournament a few years ago was one of the most electric moments of the tournament. I truly wish Kennedy the best wherever he goes and I hope he makes the podium in his final season of eligibility.

Now for some reality of the situation. There were some weird moments in Monday’s career at UNC. He struggled with consistency a lot. Aka tech fall David McFadden one match then the very next match lose to an unranked wrestler. I’m not sure if it was a coaching thing or a mental toughness thing or what. 

Also, Monday missed matches at weird times throughout his career and it wasn’t explained why very often. He’d miss 3-4 matches at a tournament, then miss a few duals in a row, then come back and repeat the process. 2 years ago he only wrestled 15 total season matches and with no reason given other than “he got a little banged up.” I won’t speculate on injuries, academics, discipline, or anything like that. But I’m just throwing out there that he’s missed a lot of time throughout his career and few reasons were ever given as to why. But then on the other hand as soon as Devin Kane tore up his shoulder, UNC came out and said he was done for the season because he needed surgery. When O’Conner started this past season late due to a broken arm the program talked about that with Flo as well. Just little things like that were weird to say the least.  

Final thought. I really hope UNC doesn’t lose Kenny Monday. He’s done wonders for the THWC and was one of the big reasons Jordan Oliver joined. I think the training center was moving in a great direction with Kenny at the helm. 

Edited by goheels1812

55 minutes ago, lurk_nowitzki said:

Do we know if he could be a grad transfer, perhaps? He's been at UNC for 4 years.

And do we know if he could compete at an Ivy in grad school? I think the answer is yes if transfer but... You can't if you do 4 years there.

2 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

And do we know if he could compete at an Ivy in grad school? I think the answer is yes if transfer but... You can't if you do 4 years there.

I am 90% sure that the answer is no you cannot compete at an Ivy League school if you have completed an undergraduate degree and are attending the Ivy school in a graduate capacity. 

1 minute ago, lu1979 said:

I am 90% sure that the answer is no you cannot compete at an Ivy League school if you have completed an undergraduate degree and are attending the Ivy school in a graduate capacity. 

What I've read is that the Ivies only allow 8 semesters of competition, which is slightly different. This is more anecdotal though. I've seen people say it.