gobraves101905

Kennedy Monday enters the portal

4 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

What I've read is that the Ivies only allow 8 semesters of competition, which is slightly different. This is more anecdotal though. I've seen people say it.

The Ivys even announced that they will not change their long standing policy of not allowing students who have completed their undergraduate degrees to participate in sports for any spring athletes who missed their season due to the corona virus.  If those athletes want to compete after graduating they will have to do it at a non Ivy League school.

32 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

Final thought. I really hope UNC doesn’t lose Kenny Monday. He’s done wonders for the THWC and was one of the big reasons Jordan Oliver joined. I think the training center was moving in a great direction with Kenny at the helm. 

It’s not a done deal. Idk what the actual rates of transfer are for the portal but sometimes athletes do it to express interest and test the waters, or to exert leverage into a better scholarship situation, get more playing time, RS, etc. (with the risk that they’re also saying “hey, feel free to reallocate my scholarship and assume I won’t be back next year”).

I’m really curious about what prompted him to enter the portal. UNC seems like an amazing environment in many aspects.

6 minutes ago, pamela said:

It’s not a done deal. Idk what the actual rates of transfer are for the portal but sometimes athletes do it to express interest and test the waters, or to exert leverage into a better scholarship situation, get more playing time, RS, etc. (with the risk that they’re also saying “hey, feel free to reallocate my scholarship and assume I won’t be back next year”).

I’m really curious about what prompted him to enter the portal. UNC seems like an amazing environment in many aspects.

I was thinking about his dad in that point! Sorry haha, my thoughts were all over the place when I saw the news. Kenny (dad) has been a God send for the THWC. If Kennedy does end up leaving I hope his dad sticks around to continue running the club team.

33 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

I was thinking about his dad in that point! Sorry haha, my thoughts were all over the place when I saw the news. Kenny (dad) has been a God send for the THWC. If Kennedy does end up leaving I hope his dad sticks around to continue running the club team.

If he leaves I’m sure Coleman will get some other former  ok. State star to come replace him , Monday does seem to have a special relationship with JO so if he does leave I’d imagine JO follows 

13 minutes ago, buck said:

So after speaking with his Dad it's apparent that Kennedy is tired of wrestling at a basketball school and no fans.  Also for whatever reason he's never clicked with Ramos and is tired of the drama at UNC.  

WOW! That is hard to believe that Ramos is involved in some drama. I will stay tuned...

1 hour ago, buck said:

So after speaking with his Dad it's apparent that Kennedy is tired of wrestling at a basketball school and no fans.  

I mean UNC is no Iowa, Penn State, Ohio State, etc, but this is a weird argument. I’m not saying it’s not true, but I’ve been around the program for a long time and go to almost every home dual every season. When Kennedy first started at UNC the stands would have parents in them and that’s about it (other than a few students trying to get Carolina fever points). This year UNC had over 1000 people at a dual and solid home attendance all year. 30 minutes down the road in Raleigh the UNC vs NC State dual had around 4300 people at it. Kennedy has spent his career watching attendance and support grow every single season. If he ends up at Virginia or Stanford or some of the programs listed above it sure as hell isn’t going to be to wrestle in front of huge crowds. 

Edited by goheels1812

1 hour ago, goheels1812 said:

I mean UNC is no Iowa, Penn State, Ohio State, etc, but this is a weird argument. I’m not saying it’s not true, but I’ve been around the program for a long time and go to almost every home dual every season. When Kennedy first started at UNC the stands would have parents in them and that’s about it (other than a few students trying to get Carolina fever points). This year UNC had over 1000 people at a dual and solid home attendance all year. 30 minutes down the road in Raleigh the UNC vs NC State dual had around 4300 people at it. Kennedy has spent his career watching attendance and support grow every single season. If he ends up at Virginia or Stanford or some of the programs listed above it sure as hell isn’t going to be to wrestle in front of huge crowds. 

Yah, I'm not even sure how many D1 programs there are out there where wrestling is a top 3 sport to its fans... Maybe Iowa or Lehigh? American? If he wants to go to a "wrestling school" AND compete in front of big crowds, his choices might be limited.

Lehigh fans are a hard core of about 1,400 /mostly townies that find their way to duals no matter what.   Lehigh students are brats who prefer staring at their phones and complaining about how there's nothing to do.

3 hours ago, buck said:

So after speaking with his Dad it's apparent that Kennedy is tired of wrestling at a basketball school and no fans.  

Is he coming out with a top-5 list of schools that he is considering?

Is his father leaving UNC too?

3 hours ago, goheels1812 said:

How many home matches do D1 wrestlers have a year?  5-8, maybe?  

15 minutes ago, jchapman said:

How many home matches do D1 wrestlers have a year?  5-8, maybe?  

Yup that’s spot on, depending on the program of course.

I’ve been really impressed with the fan growth within UNC‘S wrestling program. But the one criticism I will give the ACC is their attendance at the ACC tournament. There was hardly anyone at Pittsburgh for this years ACC tournament. It was nowhere near the atmosphere of the Big 10 or even the EIWA tournament. I’m not sure how a school like Pitt in that area of Pennsylvania can’t draw a crowd for a tournament with a ton of ranked matches, but oh well. 

I've never heard of an Ivy allowing a graduate student to compete.  There have been several cases of Ivy wrestlers who have completed their NCAA eligibility elsewhere as grad students.  Why would they allow a grad student who completed his undergraduate degree elsewhere to complete while not allowing the same for one of their own graduates?  Even for the Ivies that makes no sense.

36 minutes ago, jdalu75 said:

I've never heard of an Ivy allowing a graduate student to compete.  There have been several cases of Ivy wrestlers who have completed their NCAA eligibility elsewhere as grad students.  Why would they allow a grad student who completed his undergraduate degree elsewhere to complete while not allowing the same for one of their own graduates?  Even for the Ivies that makes no sense.

Has anyone confirmed if he is a grad transfer or a regular transfer?

Here's the Princeton student athlete handbook

Handbook

It doesn't really mention this hypothetical situation but it does appear they wouldn't allow grads at all.

This paragraph, however, looks like it says the NCAA prohibits it which is obviously wrong and contradicted elsewhere.

The University, Ivy League and NCAA require that to be eligible for practice and competition, a student-athlete must be a full-time, matriculated student in a four-year baccalaureate program. 

53 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Here's the Princeton student athlete handbook

Handbook

It doesn't really mention this hypothetical situation but it does appear they wouldn't allow grads at all.

This paragraph, however, looks like it says the NCAA prohibits it which is obviously wrong and contradicted elsewhere.

The University, Ivy League and NCAA require that to be eligible for practice and competition, a student-athlete must be a full-time, matriculated student in a four-year baccalaureate program. 

By strict definition, he could enroll in  a four-year baccalaureate program instead of grad school