gobraves101905

Kennedy Monday enters the portal

9 minutes ago, buck said:

People are saying don was one of the all time great talents to ever come out of Wharton.   

It's true. He had the highest pre-enrollment-financial-contribution to GPA ratio ever at the school. It was almost as high as Jared's ratio at Harvard.

3 hours ago, goheels1812 said:

I have a couple ties with the program and as far as I’ve heard mum is the word, like everything else with Kennedy’s career. 

Everything listed from here below is simply my own opinion from following the program closely Kennedy’s entire career.

-I do believe Kennedy has butted heads with Ramos in the past. Ramos has a very Iowa-like mentality as far as training and preparing goes and it’s sort of a “my way or the highway” type deal. He also tends to pick and choose favorites (like Jamie Hernandez) and Kennedy doesn’t seem to be in that group. I have no idea if that came to a head and caused Kennedy to want to leave, though. 

-I absolutely do not believe Kennedy’s dad told someone “Kennedy is tired of wrestling at a basketball school with no fans!” If I end up being wrong and the entire Monday family leaves UNC, I will admit it. But for now I believe that’s complete message board BS. Kenny runs the THWC and from what I’ve heard he and his family love UNC and the Chapel Hill area. Him making a comment like that would be very surprising and out of character. 

My gut feeling is Coleman gets this ironed out and Kennedy stays at UNC for his final season. From everything I’ve watched and seen around the program one of Coleman’s best attributes is leading (as silly as that sounds), despite his young age. He gets through the athletes and coaches alike so I think he can get all of this fixed. But I’d say I’m only about 51% confident on that. I think transferring is still a huge possibility. 

Again, I’m claiming no direct sources on this. I’m just listing my opinions based on being around and watching the program. 

Let us assume he does transfer... I have a follow-up trio of questions:

•What weight and where do you believe he fits best?

•What weight and where do you want him to go(cannot be the same answer)?

•What weight and where do you not want him to go?

20 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Let us assume he does transfer... I have a follow-up trio of questions:

•What weight and where do you believe he fits best?

•What weight and where do you want him to go(cannot be the same answer)?

•What weight and where do you not want him to go?

This are good questions. 

1) Kennedy has always had a hard time cutting weight because of his frame. He had to make the jump from 157 to 165 because he couldn’t physically  make 157 anymore. If he does transfer I could absolutely see 174 being on the table in his eyes. He has the length and frame to go there. I’m not sure how strength would hold up against some 174 pound hammers though. I also don’t believe him going 174 factors into UNC’s plans for next year either. Devin Kane said in a recent interview he’s ready to get back on the mat for the Heels at 174 next year, where he was a blood round wrestler at the 2019 NCAA tournament. Clay Lautt will then naturally move up to 184 as he has the frame for it. He was the 2020 ACC champion at 174 pounds. There’s really just not room for Monday at UNC anywhere other than 165 pounds. Maybe that’s also part of the decision for him?

2) My obvious answer for this is UNC at 165 haha. But if I can’t pick that then I’ll pick Oklahoma State at 165 for a year. If any coaches can tap into his ridiculous upside and help him with consistency I think the staff in Stillwater could do it. This will also make it way easier for me to keep rooting for him than if he transferred to another ACC school (which I’m pretty confident that wouldn’t happen).

3) I don’t want him to go anywhere in the ACC. I personally think him going 174 would be a mistake if he can cut safely to 165. He would lose some of the advantages that make him such a unique wrestler if he went 174. All the slick explosive attacks that worked so well at 157/165 would be more likely to be met with sheer horse power at 174. Even in practice clips I’ve seen our 174 last year Clay Lautt could give Monday all he wanted, and Lautt is a fringe top 20 guy at 74.

Sorry for the length of the answers. But great questions. 

Edited by goheels1812

10 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

This are good questions. 

1) Kennedy has always had a hard time cutting weight because of his frame. He had to make the jump from 157 to 165 because he couldn’t physically  make 157 anymore. If he does transfer I could absolutely see 174 being on the table in his eyes. He has the length and frame to go there. I’m not sure how strength would hold up against some 174 pound hammers though. I also don’t believe him going 174 factors into UNC’s plans for next year either. Devin Kane said in a recent interview he’s ready to get back on the mat for the Heels at 174 next year, where he was a blood round wrestler at the 2019 NCAA tournament. Clay Lautt will then naturally move up to 184 as he has the frame for it. He was the 2020 ACC champion at 174 pounds. There’s really just not room for Monday at UNC anywhere other than 165 pounds. Maybe that’s also part of the decision for him?

2) My obvious answer for this is UNC at 165 haha. But if I can’t pick that then I’ll pick Oklahoma State at 165 for a year. If any coaches can tap into his ridiculous upside and help him with consistency I think the staff in Stillwater could do it. This will also make it way easier for me to keep rooting for him than if he transferred to another ACC school (which I’m pretty confident that wouldn’t happen).

3) I don’t want him to go anywhere in the ACC. I personally think him going 174 would be a mistake if he can cut safely to 165. He would lose some of the advantages that make him such a unique wrestler if he went 174. All the slick explosive attacks that worked so well at 157/165 would be more likely to be met with sheer horse power at 174. Even in practice clips I’ve seen our 174 last year Clay Lautt could give Monday all he wanted, and Lautt is a fringe top 20 guy at 74.

For #1 I meant where he fits best if he transfers. At another school, where would he fit best, also meaning what school?

Also the depth/detail is appreciated. Don't apologize for that.

Edited by nhs67

16 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

For #1 I meant where he fits best if he transfers. At another school, where would he fit best, also meaning what school?

Also the depth/detail is appreciated. Don't apologize for that.

Ah gotcha.

My update to that answer for #1 would be Princeton then. I’m far from an expert on eligibility and I know some of the folks above mentioned it may not be possible. But if it were, I think that fit would be phenomenal. Parker was Princeton’s 174 last year and he was a senior. So between K Monday/Cuomo they could go 165/174 however the coaching staff feels works the best. That 1-2-3 punch of both Monday’s and Cuomo through the middle would be awesome for Princeton. Add that to Glory and Brucki and you’re starting to fill out an upper tier team. 

Also will add that whatever Ayres is doing up there is working fantastically for Quincy. He’s far exceeded the expectations I had for him coming out of high school, especially stepping in and going as a true freshman. I remember watching UNC recruit Mason Phillips beat up on Quincy at Super 32 a few years ago. Their college careers have been completely different stories though. Quincy has been a stud and was well on his way to an AA finish as a true sophomore, while Phillips hasn’t been able to crack the starting lineup + has been hurt constantly at UNC. I think Ayres would do a nice job elevating Kennedy’s level as well.

Edited by goheels1812

3 hours ago, NJDan said:

Princeton has many world class grad programs. It does not have professional schools (law, medicine or business).

Interestingly, because of the above, I don't think it actually qualifies as a "university" in NJ...

@goheels1812 what is the current status of the campus closures at UNC? The other transfer thread had me wondering if maybe some athletes are considering switching to schools with open facilities where they will be able to train and compete. 

I know it’s a silly hypothesis and one that I hope isn’t true, but the Rivera xfr thread is making me think that maybe some athletes are worried about losing opportunities.

13 minutes ago, pamela said:

@goheels1812 what is the current status of the campus closures at UNC? The other transfer thread had me wondering if maybe some athletes are considering switching to schools with open facilities where they will be able to train and compete. 

I know it’s a silly hypothesis and one that I hope isn’t true, but the Rivera xfr thread is making me think that maybe some athletes are worried about losing opportunities.

Athletes are coming back in phases right now. They are doing the sports in order by when the season starts. Unfortunately wrestling is lower on the priority list and they got the latest return to campus date (along with some spring sports), which is August 3rd. I have no clue what the return to campus looks like for other schools but August 3rd is only about 6 weeks away. 

13 minutes ago, grappler6 said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surprised to see Ohio State on the list. Minnesota and Nebraska do make sense roster wise though. Guess we get to wait and see now.

1 hour ago, goheels1812 said:

Athletes are coming back in phases right now. They are doing the sports in order by when the season starts. Unfortunately wrestling is lower on the priority list and they got the latest return to campus date (along with some spring sports), which is August 3rd. I have no clue what the return to campus looks like for other schools but August 3rd is only about 6 weeks away. 

Thanks! I don’t have a clear picture of when athletes are returning at different D1 campuses either, but to be fair, athletes may also be concerned that the reopening is too soon/too risky/not adequately planned, like we see with some college football players not wanting to go back to campus.

7 hours ago, goheels1812 said:

This are good questions. 

#1 & #3 excellent responses. Completely agree.  As far as number two goes, IMO there's no way Monday is beating out Wittlake at Oklahoma State @ 165.

This are good questions. 

#1 & #3 excellent responses. Completely agree.  As far as number two goes, IMO there's no way Monday is beating out Wittlake at Oklahoma State @ 165. If you meant Ohio State instead of the Cowboys, I don't think he's beating out Romero.  As far as Kharchla goes, I would like to see him against some elite competition before I hand him the keys to the car.

This are good questions. 

#1 & #3 excellent responses. Completely agree.  As far as number two goes, IMO there's no way Monday is beating out Wittlake at Oklahoma State @ 165. If you meant Ohio State instead the Cowboys, I still put him behind Romero. Kharchla, the jury is still out.

50 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

174 maybe but definitely NOT 165.

They need either a 174 or a 165 depending on whether Wittlake moves up, or do you know someone else on the roster with experience? Or do you think Sheets will move up to 165?  That's possible. 

Edited by ionel

20 minutes ago, ionel said:

They need either a 174 or a 165 depending on whether Wittlake moves up, or do you know someone else on the roster with experience? Or do you think Sheets will move up to 165?  That's possible. 

74 definitely a possibility.

16 hours ago, klehner said:

Interestingly, because of the above, I don't think it actually qualifies as a "university" in NJ...

To be a university, you need grad programs, which P. has in abundance. You don't need professional schools.

10 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

#1 & #3 excellent responses. Completely agree.  As far as number two goes, IMO there's no way Monday is beating out Wittlake at Oklahoma State @ 165. If you meant Ohio State instead the Cowboys, I still put him behind Romero. Kharchla, the jury is still out.

Should’ve added 165 or 174 depending on what Whittlake does. You’re right though, Monday isn’t taking Wittlake’s spot. He’d have go to the other open weight. 

But sounds like Okie St. isn’t an option for him though, so just a hypothetical anyways.