30 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Moderna is unique because it doesn't have a product.  Scratch that, now they do.  Perhaps they were lying dormant for the right virus to come about and they were accommodated.  Their Phase I results were announced - 2 months late - on the same day HHS began receiving covid19 related hospital data instead of the CDC.  That was confirmed by HHS  assistant secretary Michael Caputo - a Republican strategist by profession.

Look - I hope all of the vaporware being produced by Moderna is legit.  It would normalize the world, save hundreds of thousands of lives and lay a foundation for future pandemics.  I believe you said that earlier.  It looks like a gigantic scam to me.

I guess it’s easier to cling to conspiracy theories than admit you are wrong. It explains why so many still refuse to wear masks.  Running a phase 3 trial is not a scam, it’s called science.  

5 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

I guess it’s easier to cling to conspiracy theories than admit you are wrong. It explains why so many still refuse to wear masks.  Running a phase 3 trial is not a scam, it’s called science.  

I stand by everything I have said.  This is a desparate, dangerous situation on many levels  Corners have already been cut by a financially struggling company, approved by a politically desperate government and clamored for by a frightened public.  Pump the brakes and follow the science built over the last 6 decades.

an Iranian coach just made an interesting comment.  This is just his opinion and it's not based on any facts, but I find his opinion interesting

He said, "The 2021 Olympics could be cancelled or postponded.  Alternatively, they go have the olympics as scheduled, but potentially cancel sports that presnet a higher risk of spreading the virus, such as wrestling"

I had not thought about this option, but it's not unreasonable.  I can see the go on with soccer, tennis, weightlifting and diving, but cancel wrestling and Judo.

5 minutes ago, irani said:

an Iranian coach just made an interesting comment.  This is just his opinion and it's not based on any facts, but I find his opinion interesting

He said, "The 2021 Olympics could be cancelled or postponded.  Alternatively, they go have the olympics as scheduled, but potentially cancel sports that presnet a higher risk of spreading the virus, such as wrestling"

I had not thought about this option, but it's not unreasonable.  I can see the go on with soccer, tennis, weightlifting and diving, but cancel wrestling and Judo.

Yikes I hadn’t thought of that potential either, but it does seem like it could very much be an option on the table. I hope we don’t need to go trough another Save Olympic Wrestling Campaign. If I remember correctly, our “readmittance” to the games was as a provisional sport, not a core sport. (I could be wrong on that) 

On 6/23/2020 at 11:37 PM, Billyhoyle said:

Well now he doesn't need to get vaccinated.  

Add me to the list of people who thinks a vaccine will be available by then and the games will go on as scheduled in 2021.  

Even without a vaccine, epidemiologists appear to understand how to put together a large, extended sporting event without issue (e.g. the UFC in Abu Dhabi and Formula in Europe).  Although I'll likely defer to your knowledge, my admittedly limited reading suggests if you're willing to spend the money required to address the logistical demands, and have the will to follow clearly burdensome procedures, hosting large sporting events is far from an impossibility.

I'm not suggesting it's wise to put on such events right now, or that they're necessarily safe, but F1 is about to put on their third GP in as many weeks without a positive test (and all ten teams travel with a large number of employees each), and the UFC seems to be faring similarly well in Abu Dhabi.

If the NBA, NFL, MLB and various soccer/football leagues are able to avoid disaster in the coming months, I suspect the Olympics will have an effective template to follow, with or without a vaccine.  That's obviously a lot of "ifs", but absent tragedy striking prior, I'll be surprised if the Olympics are simply cancelled.  I suspect they will look much different without a vaccine available, but I doubt it will be a dealbreaker.

4 hours ago, irani said:

I don't think so. it will be all or nothing. how many wrestlers will be in Tokyo ? less than 300. it's not hard to test 300 wrestlers several times before the Games to make sure they are all healthy

the problem is bigger than just two wrestlers having too much contact in 6 minutes . it's about traveling, hotels, spectators. can they test something like 15,000 athletes and officials coming from different countries to Japan for the Olympics ?

yes it's possible to have the Olympics even without the vaccine but that will be costly. we will see how far IOC and the Japanese government want to go to save the Olympics.

but hopefully there will be a vaccine soon

Another option, go back to having summer and winter Olympics the same year... 2022, at least for one cycle. That gives everyone more time to figure things out. If next summer becomes safe for sports to have separate world championships they could do that in 2021. If they want to go back to alternating years for Olympics they can go back to 2024 and 2026.