irani

2021 Olympics

10 hours ago, ugarte said:

Mostly busting balls but the point I was making is that all of us want to watch - and the athletes all want to compete - but that is not what they should be basing the decision on. Not only the athletes would be at risk; the thousands of support staff (for the teams, the venues and the administration of the games) would be as well. And even beyond that, the Games could be a superspreader event where people arrive from (and return to) all corners of the globe. 

I want to see Dake win gold but I don't want it that badly

Your point about it being global risk adds another level of complexity, but I would think they could pull off something like the NBA or UFC has done. I believe those have been successes. More spread out events with less support staff.

Anyways, sorry about you wishing to see Dake win gold as it is clearly going to be JB getting one more, 

43 minutes ago, KOMRADE said:

What are wrestling chances after 2024?

So many seem to be unaware that it's technically not fully reinstated

Wrestling is in a good place.  We have a solid set of rules, and they haven't messed with the rules the way they used to do when someone was dominant with a technique.  Other than criteria to determine a winner when the match is tied, UWW has an exciting product that the IOC should adopt for long term participation at the Olympic Games.

1 hour ago, KOMRADE said:

What do you think caused us to be in such a tenuous position back when they were cutting wrestling from the schedule?

I always believed that "sumo" criteria should be used in all grappling Sports tiebreakers because it's universally understandable hyper simple and extremely entertaining

* any step out of the mat and anything but the soles of your feet touch the ground...

The ball grab and subsequent start off a high single is ridiculous

The ball grab and subsequent start off a high single WAS ridiculous.  That got eliminated after the 2012 games.

I think the best 2 out of 3 period seriously hurt the sport.  It inhibited scoring.  Also, the rules that restricted consecutive gut wrenches or consecutive leg laces did nothing more than reduce scoring, which is what the IOC wanted.  Lastly, the escape point had too many criteria to stay viable (bottom must be flat, build himself back up, break the lock of the top wrestler, stand up fully on his/her own power, turn, face, and immediately be engaged in contact).

What we have now is less ambiguity in scoring (correct throws must land flat on the chest or side to score, blast double where the attacker never lets go of the legs only scores for him so long as he continues though the technique and doesn't get significantly stopped or redirected), although the 7 relevant angles (referee, judge, chairman, red coach, blue coach, camera, commentator) to the infinite number of angles that the action is seen from the crowd can cause disagreement on whether things landed in danger or not.

In the USA, the Living the Dream fund has kept our superstars in the sport longer since they can now make good money performing at the World Championships ($50,000, $25,000, $15,000) and the Olympic Games ($250,000, $50,000, $25,000).

4 hours ago, KOMRADE said:

What do you think caused us to be in such a tenuous position back when they were cutting wrestling from the schedule?

It was wrestling's turn to get shaken down for money by a corrupt IOC. They (IOC) recognized a market (wrestling) that had the financials means and would be willing to pay to play (US, Russia, Eastern Euro states, Middle East states). Even gymnastics, figure skating, and track & field have participation fees from time to time - they are just less obvious.

12 minutes ago, KOMRADE said:

I hope you're right because 2024 could be the curtain call for wrestling if something doesn't change

i would be very surprised if they did away with wrestling entirely...

now, the best style is always rumored to be on the block, but, that could just be the very vocal minority you don't understand it...