Sign in to follow this  
go_rines12

SEBASTIAN RIVERA IN THE TRANSFER PORTAL

9 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Rutgers would be fun. 

looks like Suriano is going to Olympic shirt again. I wish he wouldn’t. If guys have grown enough, they could have AAs from 125-149, plus they have some solid upper weights. They could have 5ish AAs if everything falls into place perfectly. Would be quite a turnaround from last year

Who's the possible AA @49?

5 hours ago, Gantry said:

This has been explained, but my memory ain't what it used to be.  Do you have to enter the portal if you want to transfer?  If Rivera was 100% into Rutgers does he still have to join this as a formality?  Just curious if this is an open situation or not, if you don't have to join the portal the answer would be yes.

It's mandated for D1 only, but even if it wasn't it would be advantageous for an athlete to enter the portal. It is basically a workflow tool to make sure the athlete and both schools have dotted their I's and crossed their T's from a compliance perspective. It expedites the NCAA approval process and allows the athlete to participate with their new team sooner.

Coach Robie mentioned that VT may get a 141 transfer before Mitch moore left to go to Oklahoma. Plus, Rivera was in Brewer’s wedding. It could all be coincidental but I’m cautiously optimistic he will end up at VT and wouldn’t be too surprised but agree Rutgers has a presumed lead in landing him. 

5 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Depends on weights, but with Rivera and Suriano, they have 4 top 10 guys in the lower weights. 

maybe Rivera? He walks over 160

Yeah, although I guess the current assumptions are Rivera at 141 and Suriano not wrestling at least not next season.

Angelo actually didn't have a bad year as a freshman though.  AA may be a stretch but he did have 3 wins over NQ's that I see (Martin, Rooks, Hrisopoulos).  The win over Martin was at B10's but then he INJ defaulted to Brayton Lee then MFF'd out.  IIRC though in the Martin match he hit a 6-point move and then kinda hung on.

They also have former PA state champ Vulakh listed at 149 on the roster (looks like was injured last year).

Edited by 1032004

4 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Yeah, although I guess the current assumptions are Rivera at 141 and Suriano not wrestling at least not next season.

Angelo actually didn't have a bad year as a freshman though.  AA may be a stretch but he did have 3 wins over NQ's that I see (Martin, Rooks, Hrisopoulos).  The win over Martin was at B10's but then he INJ defaulted to Brayton Lee then MFF'd out.  IIRC though in the Martin match he hit a 6-point move and then kinda hung on.

They also have former PA state champ Vulakh listed at 149 on the roster (looks like was injured last year).

So they would redshirt Aragona?  Could they move him up to 141 to accommodate Sebass?

44 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

So they would redshirt Aragona?  Could they move him up to 141 to accommodate Sebass?

You mean move him up to 149?  Doubt he starts there. Forgot they also have Nick Santos and former NJ State Champ Jake Benner at 149 as well.  Think Santos got injured last year and redshirted the year before but in 2017-2018 he beat Collin Purinton and Hunter Richard although they weren't starters at the time.

But both Alvarez and Aragona have redshirts available, seems like one will probably use one.

Edited by 1032004

3 hours ago, 1032004 said:

You mean move him up to 149?  Doubt he starts there. Forgot they also have Nick Santos and former NJ State Champ Jake Benner at 149 as well.  Think Santos got injured last year and redshirted the year before but in 2017-2018 he beat Collin Purinton and Hunter Richard although they weren't starters at the time.

But both Alvarez and Aragona have redshirts available, seems like one will probably use one.

Yeah, I meant Rutgers moving Jojo up to 149 so they could accommodate Rivera. 

So Benner and Santos handle Jojo in the room?  It seemed like Jojo was a more highly touted recruit than those two guys, no?

I predict Va. Tech -- wrestling considerations trumping geographical preferences.  

Real bummer for NU if he goes through with it.  Storniolo and his assistants have done a great job rebuilding from the program implosion a few years back and as of March 9th were set up for two years of Rivera and Deakin being NCAA top seeds, but now between the virus and the transfer the team won't get a shot at all those points either year.  

1 hour ago, ShakaAloha said:

Yeah, I meant Rutgers moving Jojo up to 149 so they could accommodate Rivera. 

So Benner and Santos handle Jojo in the room?  It seemed like Jojo was a more highly touted recruit than those two guys, no?

I have no idea who beats who.    But I would guess he doesn't beat Angelo, who had a better year at 149 than Aragona did at 141.    Looks like Santos had beaten Angelo in the wrestleoff - https://www.onthebanks.com/2019/10/26/20933799/rutgers-wrestling-wrestle-off-results-goodale-relentless-pursuit

8 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I have no idea who beats who.    But I would guess he doesn't beat Angelo, who had a better year at 149 than Aragona did at 141.    Looks like Santos had beaten Angelo in the wrestleoff - https://www.onthebanks.com/2019/10/26/20933799/rutgers-wrestling-wrestle-off-results-goodale-relentless-pursuit

If Rivera comes to RU(and IMHO it is a lock)  Aragona is going to Redshirt.

149-Depending on Vuakh's health he might have the spot.  RU was very impressed with him in the pre-season before he got shut down. Angelo and Santos will battle it out.  Angelo with more upside(had a lot of pins). Santos is a hardnose kid, has hard time staying healthy.  Benner is not really an option. 

8 minutes ago, Roadkill said:

If Rivera comes to RU(and IMHO it is a lock)  Aragona is going to Redshirt.

149-Depending on Vuakh's health he might have the spot.  RU was very impressed with him in the pre-season before he got shut down. Angelo and Santos will battle it out.  Angelo with more upside(had a lot of pins). Santos is a hardnose kid, has hard time staying healthy.  Benner is not really an option. 

Doesn’t mean much now, but Benner did beat Angelo in the HS state finals

3 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Doesn’t mean much now, but Benner did beat Angelo in the HS state finals

I know.....this season it will have been 4 years ago.  Had an excellent HS career but has not really progressed in College.  He is 11-17 in career against D-1 competition.  He is just pretty far down the depth chart.

On 6/25/2020 at 7:30 AM, Housebuye said:

Depends on weights, but with Rivera and Suriano, they have 4 top 10 guys in the lower weights. 

maybe Rivera? He walks over 160

Rivera,Suriano & Alverez...who's the 4th top 10 guy? maybe I missing someone?

3 minutes ago, Columbia_Lou said:

I assume they may be referencing Aragona, who is going to be a standout kid one day. Not sure if he is top 10 atm, but if he jumps to 149 and has another year to build (and look at his workout partners, wow..) he will be a force. I don't think Suriano comes back, and certainly not at 125, but if he did imagine the starting line up of Suriano, Alvarez, Rivera and Aragona. That is a force to start any dual meet.

10 minutes ago, Perry said:

I assume they may be referencing Aragona, who is going to be a standout kid one day. Not sure if he is top 10 atm, but if he jumps to 149 and has another year to build (and look at his workout partners, wow..) he will be a force. I don't think Suriano comes back, and certainly not at 125, but if he did imagine the starting line up of Suriano, Alvarez, Rivera and Aragona. That is a force to start any dual meet.

Aragona is no where close to T10,geez he's not close to T20. Can he jump levels? its possible BUT the jury is definitely still out. Doubt he gets the 49 spot anytime soon

That's going to be awesome watching Rivera at the RAC! Aragona was more highly touted coming out of high school then Santos and Angelo. He probably should have red shirted last season though to have some time to build strength and get acclimated to D1 competition. He looked good at times but struggled when he couldn't impose his physical style. I also think Goodale mentioned he struggled with weight later in the season. Maybe taking a year off and building strength to go 149 the following year would do him good.

I think Janzer is going to AA at least once in his career. He's fun to watch. The kid is tough as nails and a real gamer. Doesn't really have the style to blow people out of the water which I think keeps him under the radar but already is a tough out for anyone.

40 minutes ago, Columbia_Lou said:

I was assuming he was referencing Aguilar, who was seeded 16th at NCAA's last year 

19 hours ago, Columbia_Lou said:

Aguilar 

He was seeded 16th before ncaas were cancelled. He has beaten guys seeded ahead of him and some graduated or will be redshirting. 

Maybe he isn’t top 10 to start the season, but I bet he is seeded top 10 by ncaas

19 hours ago, Columbia_Lou said:

Aragona is no where close to T10,geez he's not close to T20. Can he jump levels? its possible BUT the jury is definitely still out. Doubt he gets the 49 spot anytime soon

Agreed. I wasn’t referencing a non ncaa qualifier as top 10