Sign in to follow this  
MonagFam

I am curious about some more obscure wrestling statistics...

I don't know if any of my inquiries below have easily found results, but these popped into my head:

• Worst seeded wrestlers to win championships or All American?
  • If different, worst W-L records for wrestlers that won/placed?
  • Best seeded wrestlers to go 0-2....or great W-L records with nothing to show for it?

Feel free to add any other obscure stats or questions that others may know the answers to.

4 minutes ago, MonagFam said:

I don't know if any of my inquiries below have easily found results, but these popped into my head:

• Worst seeded wrestlers to win championships or All American?
  • If different, worst W-L records for wrestlers that won/placed?
  •  

Feel free to add any other obscure stats or questions that others may know the answers to.

Good grief, never heard of Branch? ;_;

8 hours ago, GockeS said:

Max askren and maybe Greg Jones?

also Matt lindland went 0-1 as top seed lost bunny to Boston u earl something

Matt L.  entered as #1 seed, was also unbeaten if I recall. Dropped his first round boot to Earl Walker of Boston University . When Walker was beaten the next match, Linland was eliminated. 

Mack Lewnes #1 seed in 2009 went 0-2 - sorry Mr. Lewnes, I've met him and he was a really cool kid (it was in HS), also heard their steakhouse in MD is amazing

Winner of that bracket was #12 seed Jarrod King who may be up there for lowest seeds to win (particularly recently)?  

https://stanford_ftp.sidearmsports.com/custompages/old_site/pdf/m-wrestl/wrestlingfinal09ncaabrack.pdf

They only recently started seeding the whole bracket right?   Dakota Geer was a 26 seed in 2019 and AA'd.

https://i.turner.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/images/2019/03/22/brackets.pdf

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Winner of that bracket was #12 seed Jarrod King who may be up there for lowest seeds to win (particularly recently)?  

Mark Branch did it in the 90's unseeded I believe.  And Cody Brewer was ranked #13 when he won it in '15...

1 hour ago, portajohn said:

Mark Branch did it in the 90's unseeded I believe.  And Cody Brewer was ranked #13 when he won it in '15...

Yes and where do you think Branch would be seeded today?  He had a losing record going into NCAA.

3 minutes ago, ionel said:

Yes and where do you think Branch would be seeded today?  He had a losing record going into NCAA.

He wasn't top 12 then. He'd be pretty low now too, I would think. We have to assume that unseeded now would imply below 12th (at least).

6 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Not sure top seeds going 0-2 but 2003 Greg Jones WVU (2002, 2004, 2005 NCAA 1) top seed. 2-2

2002 Scott Justus VT top seed 1-2. Neither loss to placewinner. and the cons win was ot. 184- this was the weight where Rob Rohn ended up winning

This is not the Greg Jones I choose to remember from my childhood. It's up there with the Star Wars prequels and Rocky V

18 hours ago, smsu150 said:

Pretty obscure stat.  I once had 4 ties in a season.  Not sure if anyone else accomplished such a "feat."  The year after my "4-tie season" they did away with ties. 

This is the kind of record I like. Not even Cael broke your record. LEGEND

This is an older example, but ....

In 1975 Jim Bennett of Yale was the top seed at 142 at EIWAs; he lost in the finals to Lehigh's Pat Sculley, who had been seeded second.  Two weeks later at NCAAs Sculley was seeded 4th and lost in the opening round to Dean Dixon of Oregon State.  Dixon didn't make it to the semi-finals (he fell one bout short of placing), so Sculley was eliminated.  Bennett, who was unseeded (they seeded just eight back then), beat the 8th, 1st, 5th, and 3rd seeds on his way to the title.

20 hours ago, smsu150 said:

Pretty obscure stat.  I once had 4 ties in a season.  Not sure if anyone else accomplished such a "feat."  The year after my "4-tie season" they did away with ties. 

In 1972-73 Lehigh's Terry DeStito went 17-8-4.  He finished his career with 8 ties, which may be a Lehigh record; it is since 1971.

21 hours ago, smsu150 said:

In fairness, you did stall a lot.

22 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

if i recall correctly, Branch was like 8-9 entering NCAA's.

yep, and it was in '94,.  He beat another unseeded wrestler in the finals (Laszlo Molnar, Cal St-Fullerton).  Molnar had knocked off the 4th seed (Rick Hepp, Lehigh) the 5th seed (Chris Kwortnik, NCST), and the 1st seed (Shaon Fry, Mizzou).

On 6/24/2020 at 9:18 AM, Downtown Brown said:

Matt L.  entered as #1 seed, was also unbeaten if I recall. Dropped his first round boot to Earl Walker of Boston University . When Walker was beaten the next match, Linland was eliminated. 

Didn't Walker come back to take 3rd that year?

Only to be eliminated the next year in a similar fashion to how Lindland lost out?