Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
portajohn

Most Ridiculous Thing You Did to Get Out of A Match

Recommended Posts

Looking for some good stories.

I once faked getting staph infection to get out of a holiday tournament (during xmas break).  Wanted to party.

Knew a guy who had to release his bowels right before a match and at the whistle went to his back to get pinned.  Ran off the mat and straight to the stall.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beat a kid 1-0 in the dual, but had another dual against the same team and kid. I was #1 in the conference, he was #2. Winner would be the “conference champ.” First I tried to convince my coach to sit me because we weren’t going to win the dual, then I tried to miss weight, last I hid in the hall and begged my dad to go tell coach I couldn’t wrestle. Dad told me to shut up and honor my commitment to the team. Ended up pinning the kid in the first period. Only time I ever tried to get out of a match. Looking back on it, I definitely had some anxiety. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never tried to get out of a match but I did have a trick to get a break/stoppage. I used to make my headgear a little loose and when I was on bottom I could put my forehead on the mat and push my headgear down over my face to my neck. The ref would always stop the match so I could get up and get my wind back before a restart.

I know it sounds lame but I was always dead tired from cutting weight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gimpeltf said:

Lehigh had a hwt about fifty years ago that was our first to take a timeout to find his contacts. 

He didn't wear contacts, he just took the timeout!

Was it due to conditioning?  Hard to believe even a hwt on the Lehigh squad wouldn't be in amazing shape.  Only campus I know where you literally walk up a hill to and from class!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, portajohn said:

Was it due to conditioning?  Hard to believe even a hwt on the Lehigh squad wouldn't be in amazing shape.  Only campus I know where you literally walk up a hill to and from class!

He was a Hwt in college- 165 in HS. That might explain something.

Another MD story- (not related to this exact subject). He wrestled the dual in Ames against Chris Taylor. They had a press conference afterwards. Someone asked him how it felt to wrestle Taylor. He looked out and said Taylor caught him. He held off for a few seconds until everyone caught their collective breaths. Yeah, he continued, I was headed out towards I-45- he caught me and pinned my a$$!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, buckshot1969 said:

I never tried to get out of a match but I did have a trick to get a break/stoppage. I used to make my headgear a little loose and when I was on bottom I could put my forehead on the mat and push my headgear down over my face to my neck. The ref would always stop the match so I could get up and get my wind back before a restart.

I know it sounds lame but I was always dead tired from cutting weight. 

I would ask the ref a question, pretend I couldn’t hear him and take my head gear off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got a badly sprained ankle in a tournament, and told my coach I didn’t think I could wrestle the next match (3rd place match).  He told me, “how about you go out there and try, and if you can’t do it, we’ll just default?”.  So I limped out and once the whistle blew I didn’t feel any pain.  I won, the match ended, and I limped off the mat, with ankle throbbing and a new appreciation for the affects of adrenaline.

Edited by jchapman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, SamStall365247 said:

Beat a kid 1-0 in the dual, but had another dual against the same team and kid. I was #1 in the conference, he was #2. Winner would be the “conference champ.” First I tried to convince my coach to sit me because we weren’t going to win the dual, then I tried to miss weight, last I hid in the hall and begged my dad to go tell coach I couldn’t wrestle. Dad told me to shut up and honor my commitment to the team. Ended up pinning the kid in the first period. Only time I ever tried to get out of a match. Looking back on it, I definitely had some anxiety. 

I had terrible anxiety before every match. It sucked. 
  
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A coach wanted me to drop a further 8kgs in trying for the inter-service tournament.

I told him I got crabs from a rack in the transit barracks.  No practice, no weight cut, no tournament.  A free 2 weeks in Quantico and DC before having to go back to my (parent) unit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, PSUSMC said:

A coach wanted me to drop a further 8kgs in trying for the inter-service tournament.

I told him I got crabs from a rack in the transit barracks.  No practice, no weight cut, no tournament.  A free 2 weeks in Quantico and DC before having to go back to my (parent) unit.

Plenty of crabs right nearby in Maryland

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...