Sign in to follow this  
portajohn

Most Ridiculous Thing You Did to Get Out of A Match

Looking for some good stories.

I once faked getting staph infection to get out of a holiday tournament (during xmas break).  Wanted to party.

Knew a guy who had to release his bowels right before a match and at the whistle went to his back to get pinned.  Ran off the mat and straight to the stall.  

Beat a kid 1-0 in the dual, but had another dual against the same team and kid. I was #1 in the conference, he was #2. Winner would be the “conference champ.” First I tried to convince my coach to sit me because we weren’t going to win the dual, then I tried to miss weight, last I hid in the hall and begged my dad to go tell coach I couldn’t wrestle. Dad told me to shut up and honor my commitment to the team. Ended up pinning the kid in the first period. Only time I ever tried to get out of a match. Looking back on it, I definitely had some anxiety. 

I never tried to get out of a match but I did have a trick to get a break/stoppage. I used to make my headgear a little loose and when I was on bottom I could put my forehead on the mat and push my headgear down over my face to my neck. The ref would always stop the match so I could get up and get my wind back before a restart.

I know it sounds lame but I was always dead tired from cutting weight. 

1 hour ago, gimpeltf said:

Lehigh had a hwt about fifty years ago that was our first to take a timeout to find his contacts. 

He didn't wear contacts, he just took the timeout!

Was it due to conditioning?  Hard to believe even a hwt on the Lehigh squad wouldn't be in amazing shape.  Only campus I know where you literally walk up a hill to and from class!

32 minutes ago, portajohn said:

Was it due to conditioning?  Hard to believe even a hwt on the Lehigh squad wouldn't be in amazing shape.  Only campus I know where you literally walk up a hill to and from class!

He was a Hwt in college- 165 in HS. That might explain something.

Another MD story- (not related to this exact subject). He wrestled the dual in Ames against Chris Taylor. They had a press conference afterwards. Someone asked him how it felt to wrestle Taylor. He looked out and said Taylor caught him. He held off for a few seconds until everyone caught their collective breaths. Yeah, he continued, I was headed out towards I-45- he caught me and pinned my a$$!

9 hours ago, buckshot1969 said:

I never tried to get out of a match but I did have a trick to get a break/stoppage. I used to make my headgear a little loose and when I was on bottom I could put my forehead on the mat and push my headgear down over my face to my neck. The ref would always stop the match so I could get up and get my wind back before a restart.

I know it sounds lame but I was always dead tired from cutting weight. 

I would ask the ref a question, pretend I couldn’t hear him and take my head gear off

I got a badly sprained ankle in a tournament, and told my coach I didn’t think I could wrestle the next match (3rd place match).  He told me, “how about you go out there and try, and if you can’t do it, we’ll just default?”.  So I limped out and once the whistle blew I didn’t feel any pain.  I won, the match ended, and I limped off the mat, with ankle throbbing and a new appreciation for the affects of adrenaline.

Edited by jchapman

16 hours ago, SamStall365247 said:

Beat a kid 1-0 in the dual, but had another dual against the same team and kid. I was #1 in the conference, he was #2. Winner would be the “conference champ.” First I tried to convince my coach to sit me because we weren’t going to win the dual, then I tried to miss weight, last I hid in the hall and begged my dad to go tell coach I couldn’t wrestle. Dad told me to shut up and honor my commitment to the team. Ended up pinning the kid in the first period. Only time I ever tried to get out of a match. Looking back on it, I definitely had some anxiety. 

I had terrible anxiety before every match. It sucked. 

A coach wanted me to drop a further 8kgs in trying for the inter-service tournament.

I told him I got crabs from a rack in the transit barracks.  No practice, no weight cut, no tournament.  A free 2 weeks in Quantico and DC before having to go back to my (parent) unit.

28 minutes ago, PSUSMC said:

A coach wanted me to drop a further 8kgs in trying for the inter-service tournament.

I told him I got crabs from a rack in the transit barracks.  No practice, no weight cut, no tournament.  A free 2 weeks in Quantico and DC before having to go back to my (parent) unit.

Plenty of crabs right nearby in Maryland