Sign in to follow this  
MPC

Albion College adds mens and women's wresting

https://www.albion.edu/news-and-events/recent-news/news-archive/14883-albion-college-adds-mens-and-womens-wrestling-esports-to-athletics-lineup

At Enrollment/tuition driven institutions like Albion, this a great news for wrestling as it clearly shows that there is a market/demand for college programs. Private DIV III institutions like Albion depend on sports as a way to recruit students to campus and it should be a great way for wrestlers to benefit from the small classes, networking and research opportunities small liberal arts colleges offer. Adding both men's and women's teams should be applauded as the new model moving forward---for gender equity and also to maximize recruiting and resources. My sense is that wrestling is a pretty low cost sport per athlete for a university to add since one does not need an indoor ice rink, expensive equipment or vast infrastructure to support. 

I used to teach at Albion, it is a great school. I hope the wrestling community will support moves like this with applications and donations to encourage other schools to see wrestling as an essential extra-curricular offering. A great model for all levels, especially Division III which has the largest number of programs. 

1 hour ago, aknipp said:

When did they drop wrestling ?  I remember being at DIII tournaments with them in the early 80s.  They had some talent.  

Late 1970s so it is great to see this after such a long time. Hopefully alumni will support the university in this as well.