buckeyehomer

Who would you want out of retirement for 2021 Trials?

Who are some guys who you would like to watch wrestle at the 2021 trials? Obviously not saying any of them would win or do well just guys who would be fun to watch?

I would love to see Cejudo and Cormier jump into the mix. You can't say they are too old. Another MMA guy would be Pico. Stieber coming back would be cool to see.

Obviously most of these are not realistic. 

Trying to be semi-somewhat not too far out there about guys within 20ish pounds of their competition weight, who are probably still in good enough shape for a tourney (not "just" coaching), and who would at least give this a fart's sniff if it was brought up. So basically no Teyon Wares or Trent Paulsons that have definitely moved on for good. My list would be:

Cael, Metcalf, Pico, Mocco, Ramos, Streebler, Ruth, Dennis, Kolat, Varner, Dlagnev

And if any of the above are reading this then I double dog dare them to show up for trials!

55 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

He has an Olympic bronze from 2012

If I recall that was awarded after the fact when Taymazov was busted.

Still an Olympic medal but he never really got the chance to have his moment

14 hours ago, Jim L said:

Correct, so I'll adjust:

Get that podium!!

Definitely Pico, he was a criteria pt away from making the 2016 Olympics at age 19 and he will be only 24 in 2021. Pico is also 6-0 in his career versus Zain Retherford which is an incredible record against a very very good wrestler.

Edited by DocBZ

17 hours ago, Jim L said:

At his current rate of medal upgrades Tervel will have a gold medal by 2033.

Edited by DocBZ

Andre Metzger tried to do this with GR and didn't get too far.  Kolat came back in 2008 I believe.  He made it out of the mini tourney to the US Nationals but didn't get far enough. 

Cejudo might have a chance.  Howe would be interesting but I don't think he would have much.  Same with the Paulsons.  I think too much time has gone by.  But that did not stop Melvin Douglas from coming back and making the team in 2000.  So I guess we could have a surprise, but with 6 weights, not as likely. 

mspart

To the folks calling for Ruth: I think he'd be a tweener now. He competes at 170lbs in MMA.

It would be wonderful if he could somehow make/go 74 keggers.

Pico? I'd love to see him give it a go as well he fights regularly at 146lbs, but they have different weigh in rules so I'm not so sure how it would shake out. He looks hellaciously depleted.

My pick, though? Brentcalf.

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

To the folks calling for Ruth: I think he'd be a tweener now. He competes at 170lbs in MMA.

It would be wonderful if he could somehow make/go 74 keggers.

Pico? I'd love to see him give it a go as well he fights regularly at 146lbs, but they have different weigh in rules so I'm not so sure how it would shake out. He looks hellaciously depleted.

My pick, though? Brentcalf.

Ed Ruth at 170. He looked cut from granite at 184. How is this possible?

On 6/25/2020 at 5:27 PM, ShakaAloha said:

I think it would be awesome to see Cael come out of retirement one last time at 86 or 97.  I think he would be competitive.

Cael's problem would be that he has a world gold medalist at any weight he could make.

Logan Stieber.  I don't think it will happen but I wish it would.  Despite being a 4xer and a world champ people always undersell his accomplishments because of inconsistency due to injury/weight near the end of his freestyle career.  Dude owns career international wins over Romanov, Aliyev, Lomtadze, Chakaev, and Sat.  He destroyed Pico and owns the advantage in the career series with Zane.  Stieber in top form is the man.

Edited by balanceseeker

11 hours ago, NJDan said:

Ed Ruth at 170. He looked cut from granite at 184. How is this possible?

https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/fighters/141663-ed-ruth

Been 170 for two years.

Been hoping for a Storley-Ruth fight, but due to recent results I am pretty sure Storley is higher up the totem pole.  

I absolutely believe Ed destroys him in the fight, however Storley has been getting the job done, where Ruth has faltered twice now(albeit against top competitors in their own right).  Tapology has Ruth at 88 and Storley at 90, where FightMatrix(pretty much like Wrestlestat) has Storley at 55 and Ruth at 92.