Sign in to follow this  
MonagFam

What is this technique?

As hopefully almost all of my posts will show, I don't know a ton about the sport.  I really started to get into it in November and then COVID-19 has made a mess of things ever since, so I've lost a lot of that momentum I had.  I do try and watch things as they pop-up.

I happen to follow this person on YouTube who posts a lot of wrestling events in Asia.  

Feel free to watch this match, but I'm most curious as to what the technique is @ 6:30.  I've seen leg laces before where they roll the guy, but this just seemed different.  Maybe it wasn't and was just an awkward way each wrestler reacted to it?

3 hours ago, MonagFam said:

Thanks! Is it any easier to do than a lace? 

Seems like it would be harder because the bottom guy could just kick his own leg out or post it to get out of the leglock. That would put him out of danger of both a lace and the lock. Did he not do it because he didn't want to risk getting gutted? I guess the wrestler on top had his arm pretty tight around his waist.

23 hours ago, MonagFam said:

Thanks! Is it any easier to do than a lace? 

From my experience, it's harder to turn with this technique. You only do it if you can't get the lace (as seen in the video). If you do get one exposure off of it, you probably won't get a second (also as seen in the video). 

15 hours ago, Coach_J said:

Can be done in folkstyle as well as a breakdown or a finish to a head outside single--very effective in many positions.

My high school coach used to teach the breakdown for beginner upper weights. 

Also, thanks for the head outside tip. I've been finishing my head outside shot by reaching inside the legs like that for a few years now, never connected it to this freestyle turn.  My kids won't know what hit em!

1 minute ago, GranbyTroll said:

My high school coach used to teach the breakdown for beginner upper weights. 

Also, thanks for the head outside tip. I've been finishing my head outside shot by reaching inside the legs like that for a few years now, never connected it to this freestyle turn.  My kids won't know what hit em!

Works well when the defensive man blocks off your tricep and won't let you switch out front to a double on your head outside leg attack.  Lacing the arm inside and collecting the far ankle/calf negates the arm block and actually leads, in my opinion, to more possibilities.  Kharchilava is the master of this--his coach was Anatoli Belaglazov with Club Dynamo back in Russia.  Great lineage of technical mastery.

1 hour ago, fullnelson said:

Fadzaev2, I'm surprised at you, yes Metzger tried it some, only after your namesake did it to him first. Arsen Fadzaev was the first to do this technique.

You caught that!!!  Nice job!!!  Fadz