Wrestlingfan25

Downey has terrible sportsmanship

It’s horribly stupid because Taylor has proven through official WADA testing that he is clean. But Treigning Lab doesn’t have a great record of clean athletes at the elite echelon....

*insert Michael Jackson gif*

He should have chosen freestyle anyways. The guy is our best 87 kegger greco guy atm. Downey isn't Greco at all.

Add in that 2 years ago they went 1-1 against each other at the WTT and it is obvious the match style favored Rau.

i think downey really thought he could hang in greco because he can push around pretty much everyone else in free with that heavy underhook style...

when you go against a greco guy who isn't afraid to actually wrestle you upper body it is an entirely different story...

plus, you actually have to wrestle par terre in greco...

maybe he got nervous a little and that drained his stamina more than usual...

maybe i'm just grasping at any straw i can right now in the hopes that he can make it legitimate against DT...

FWIW... Rau would kill DT in greco as well... none of the pretty boys want any of the real wrestling...

7 hours ago, LJB said:

i think downey really thought he could hang in greco because he can push around pretty much everyone else in free with that heavy underhook style...

when you go against a greco guy who isn't afraid to actually wrestle you upper body it is an entirely different story...

plus, you actually have to wrestle par terre in greco...

maybe he got nervous a little and that drained his stamina more than usual...

maybe i'm just grasping at any straw i can right now in the hopes that he can make it legitimate against DT...

FWIW... Rau would kill DT in greco as well... none of the pretty boys want any of the real wrestling...

I'm not touching the "pretty boy" and "real wrestling" comments, but it would be easy to do!

13 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Im a fan of his wrestling and will support all Americans against foreign opposition but, when that (wrestling) goes, it is really hard to root for him.  From the sour grapes, whining & just plain lying (Bitching about DT, cute little greco moves to saying he was put on the clock after 20 seconds), he makes it hard to be on his side. Can you imagine if he had won both styles would we ever have heard any bitching? The cute greco moves (par terre, etc.) are only cute because he couldn't stop them. It literally sounds like something you would hear from an adolescent. Sigh.

I guess I am not sure what you mean by poor sport I have watched most of his matches at US Nationals the  last few years and I have not seen him do anything that I would call poor sportsmanship.  After last US Nationals when he won he stopped and talked for about 20 minutes out side the arena he was nothing but smiles and well spoken.  We even aske about his little celebration dance that he did he just laughed said he was caught up in the moment as it was his first SR level National championship.  I do read some of the stuff that he says on here but in my only face to face meeting he was a good guy.  JMO

I look forward to PD3 saying, “All DT has is a cute ankle pick” after getting TFed in the first two minutes.

That said, DT might very well kill this man, so there might not be any post-match jawing on PD3’s part at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, Relentless125 said:

The conversation between Downey and Rau continued. 

https://twitter.com/Raustler84/status/1277632863610064896?s=20

Also, here's a match between Taylor and Rau. I would be interested to see another match between these two in a similar format to the Downey v. Rau match. Not sure who would win that. 

You just watched DT put up 13 points in 36 seconds and you’re not sure who would win a match between the 2?  That’s an odd statement.

On 6/28/2020 at 10:39 PM, Scorenomore said:

Pretty weak excuse about par tarre causing him to lose. Pretty sure DT could score more than 4 against Joe in the second period. 

Exactly, Rau never scored a single takedown, but getting put spread eagle flat on your belly with the U.S. Greco World Team member on top of you means absolutely nothing.   Rau's upper body game in the first period was totally defensive...never really engaged for legitimate takedowns.  I wonder why that was? 

Edited by Blue Dragons

3 hours ago, LJB said:

Rau would have done the exact same thing to DT in greco that he did to Downey...

it probably would have been worse...

pretty boys don't understand what real wrestling is...

Might be true, but DT would be doubling the points come freestyle period. 

4 hours ago, LJB said:

Rau would have done the exact same thing to DT in greco that he did to Downey...

it probably would have been worse...

pretty boys don't understand what real wrestling is...

You're crazy.  DT would have kept it close in the Greco period and then scored whatever he needed to in the freestyle period to tech Rau.