Sign in to follow this  
ConnorsDad

Fantastic Article from Open Mat regarding BTS

Flowrestling is about promoting flowrestling, not the sport of wrestling. When it was Martin and Zeb hustling to events with a camera, getting interviews, asking athletes and coaches, “what % of the sport is mental vs physical”, that’s when it was about the sport of wrestling. Now they are a streaming service and promoter of their own events. They would rather promote a BJJ event on Flo than a wrestling event from a competing service. They tried to sideline a reporter from putting out rankings and covering the sport for a year (turns out covid has done that anyway). There’s nothing wrong with this type of attitude-they are a business and have a responsibility to make money. 

The reason to sign up for flo is that you think their service is worth the cost, not because you think they are some type of supporter of wrestling. Personally, I think they offer a great product for fans of HS wrestling, but as a college and international fan, I have recently stopped  subscribing. Maybe I will again in a non Olympic year for WTT-not sure. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

LJB in this thread is literally the 6th grader writing a book report on a book he didn't read.

i'm on a text thread with all nationally prominent wrestling journalists who are laughing at you.

this is bordering on LI Marty status. (let me guess, you don't know who that is). lol

1 minute ago, Husker_Du said:

LJB in this thread is literally the 6th grader writing a book report on a book he didn't read.

i'm on a text thread with all nationally prominent wrestling journalists who are laughing at you.

this is bordering on LI Marty status. (let me guess, you don't know who that is). lol

oh willie... it's adorable you are "bragging" about that...

if you count yourself among them, then not so high praise...

but, whatever... you keep being you...

16 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

You're missing the point. In the couple days leading up to the event, all of wrestling twitter was promoting it. You even had guys like Cliff Fretwell buying PPV for strangers who couldn't afford it (big shout out to Cliff).The only ones that weren't were the flo guys. Makes it even worse that it's a charity event. If you're not on twitter, you completely missed that dynamic.

You can defend the reasoning all you want, but it's a bad look when you constantly talk about growing wrestling when the reality is that it's "grow wrestling (as long as it aligns with our business interests)."

Flo is obviously adding a lot of value to the community, but they also have to deal with criticism when they openly eschew what's in the best interest of the sport for their bottom line.

Just to throw this in, I'm on twitter quite a bit and following a lot of wrestling.  I read a lot of the hype leading up to the event.  One thing I did not notice, was a lack of Flo presence.  I'm not saying they had a presence, I'm saying I didn't even realize it until this, after the fact.  I guess that might be a matter of different people looking at the event through different glasses.  My opinion, how much flo hyped the event really had no impact on it.  Flo is kind of like the Patriots or Yankees in wrestling media, not in their greatness but in that people are just simply going to look for something to dig on them.  

Signed-someone who has never subscribed to Flo

7 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Just to throw this in, I'm on twitter quite a bit and following a lot of wrestling.  I read a lot of the hype leading up to the event.  One thing I did not notice, was a lack of Flo presence.  I'm not saying they had a presence, I'm saying I didn't even realize it until this, after the fact.  I guess that might be a matter of different people looking at the event through different glasses.  My opinion, how much flo hyped the event really had no impact on it.  Flo is kind of like the Patriots or Yankees in wrestling media, not in their greatness but in that people are just simply going to look for something to dig on them.  

Just because people may not have noticed it doesn't mean if Flo actually did talk about it that more people wouldn't have heard about it.   Honestly the main reason I noticed it was when they started hyping their event that was still a month out (so not only did they ignore this one, they basically tried to suppress discussion of it by talking about their own event instead that's even still 3+ weeks away - like they did on FRL yesterday).

Again, my complaint isn't so much that they should have "hyped" it, but they can't even discuss the matches or even any implications of the matches after they happened?    I mean they could have at least talked about how some of them likely watched it via illegal streams (which they have admitted to doing in the past, despite trying to have any illegal flo stream immediately taken down).

I also think it's interesting that they released the PSU "film" at the same time, meanwhile this event included Nolf being coached by Cael.  They always talk about how Cael is so secretive.   Not that it would have changed anything, but do you think Cael appreciated that they ignored an event where one of his wrestlers won the main event?

10 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

He doesn’t need to be in Twitter to understand the point. The beef is clearly defined in the article posted here. What is it exactly that he doesn’t get?

12 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Just because people may not have noticed it doesn't mean if Flo actually did talk about it that more people wouldn't have heard about it.   Honestly the main reason I noticed it was when they started hyping their event that was still a month out (so not only did they ignore this one, they basically tried to suppress discussion of it by talking about their own event instead that's even still 3+ weeks away - like they did on FRL yesterday).

Again, my complaint isn't so much that they should have "hyped" it, but they can't even discuss the matches or even any implications of the matches after they happened?    I mean they could have at least talked about how some of them likely watched it via illegal streams (which they have admitted to doing in the past, despite trying to have any illegal flo stream immediately taken down).

I also think it's interesting that they released the PSU "film" at the same time, meanwhile this event included Nolf being coached by Cael.  They always talk about how Cael is so secretive.   Not that it would have changed anything, but do you think Cael appreciated that they ignored an event where one of his wrestlers won the main event?

It seems the majority of your complaint here is them pushing their own product.  Why do we need Flo to talk about it?  We don't.  We seem to be talking about it just fine.  And two of your three paragraphs are issues with them promoting their own programming. There's really no need to have a problem with that unless you just want to.

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

I think the thing is that this isn't an isolated incident. People have been annoyed with flo for not covering major events for a couple years since they started doing that. 

This incident is 100x more blatant than the other incidents. With the others, they could say "we were focusing on our own events going on at the same time." That's fair (still annoying when they don't cover what happened even after the fact). With this, there hasn't been any live wrestling in 100 days. It was a charity event. It warranted some discussion and coverage. They spent more energy promoting grappling events than they did for this. 

3 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

I think the thing is that this isn't an isolated incident. People have been annoyed with flo for not covering major events for a couple years since they started doing that. 

This incident is 100x more blatant than the other incidents. With the others, they could say "we were focusing on our own events going on at the same time." That's fair (still annoying when they don't cover what happened even after the fact). With this, there hasn't been any live wrestling in 100 days. It was a charity event. It warranted some discussion and coverage. They spent more energy promoting grappling events than they did for this. 

Really the only thing I think I can say, or needs to be said about that is....they are running a business.  Zero problem with them doing what they want to do with their business.  It's their business.  We don't seem to have a lack of content or discussion on this event.  We just don't have it from Flo (apparently).  So be it.

Just my opinion.  I  know many have others.  That's what makes the world go round.

Edited by Lurker

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

It seems the majority of your complaint here is them pushing their own product.  Why do we need Flo to talk about it?  We don't.  We seem to be talking about it just fine.  And two of your three paragraphs are issues with them promoting their own programming. There's really no need to have a problem with that unless you just want to.

Of course they don't "need" to talk about it.    But I'm sure FRL is by far the most listened to wrestling podcast out there.   Surely discussion about this would've been more interesting to most people than Pyles touring a youth club in New Jersey, right?

1 hour ago, AnklePicker said:

He doesn’t need to be in Twitter to understand the point. The beef is clearly defined in the article posted here. What is it exactly that he doesn’t get?

Well it seems part of LJB's argument was the lack of discussion on TOM's website,  claiming TOM was guilty of the same thing as Flo.  Earl admitted that it was a mistake to not promote it on the website, but also pointed out that he did promote the event elsewhere, unlike Flo.

2 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Of course they don't "need" to talk about it.    But I'm sure FRL is by far the most listened to wrestling podcast out there.   Surely discussion about this would've been more interesting to most people than Pyles touring a youth club in New Jersey, right?

Probably.  I wouldn't know though.  As I said initially I choose not to subscribe.  

23 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

They've literally taken to showing video clips from other flo shows that have already to happened to fill time. They've been hurting for content on FRL for months, and they had a great opportunity to talk about actual wrestling and chose not to. That sucks. As a consumer of their product, I have a right to tell them it sucks.

34 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

They've literally taken to showing video clips from other flo shows that have already to happened to fill time. They've been hurting for content on FRL for months, and they had a great opportunity to talk about actual wrestling and chose not to. That sucks. As a consumer of their product, I have a right to tell them it sucks.

As long as people keep paying for the services they are providing,  they are going to continue to provide the services they are choosing to provide.  Consumers can much better influence their decisions by not consuming.  

3 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

willie just came on here to white knight another "nationally prominent wrestling journalist"...

my guess is he thought i would just lay down when he started hurling insults from his parent's basement...

he is who he is... and he is never gonna be anymore than that...

2 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

Agreed and others have the right to tell you you sound like a whiner.