CoachWrestling

Brands taking a 15% pay cut next season

You all have no idea what the budget crunch is like for states and public schools.  

Might be a slippery slope? LOL ... he’ll be lucky if he doesn’t have to let staff go. 

Barta says the cuts are based on the assumption that both football and basketball seasons will be competing, with fans in stands. 

So this rosy picture assumes packed football stadiums.  Or partially packed.  We shall see.  I predict more pain.  Yea, slippery slope.  Brands should say hell no.

Edited by nom

Get a grip?  Because I’m pointing out that states and public schools are facing significant budget gaps which will be compounded for public school athletic departments that heavily depend on major sport ticket sales to help fund their large budgets?  All while many states are finding it very difficult to continue removing restrictions.  

A 15% salary cut for the highest paid people on the campus is step one.  Should their rosy revenue prediction not pan out, expect more pain.  

Get your head out of the sand.

Yeah, you're going to see alot worse than this come the end of summer/fall. 

Universities were hemorrhaging money before Covid and banking on tuition/loans while spending ridiculous amounts on campus luxuries. 

Schools are moving online and the absurd costs of attending schools will be forced to go down. Cuts will be made. Don't want to see it, but the worst is far from over. 

48 minutes ago, LHU125 said:

Yeah, you're going to see alot worse than this come the end of summer/fall. 

Universities were hemorrhaging money before Covid and banking on tuition/loans while spending ridiculous amounts on campus luxuries. 

Schools are moving online and the absurd costs of attending schools will be forced to go down. Cuts will be made. Don't want to see it, but the worst is far from over. 

I went to Ohio University and FDU .

I follow what's going on at both schools.

I also work with FDU's engineering schools.

Covid forced them to deal with long simmering budget issues,including,in the case of O.U.

declining  enrollment.

O.U. implemented pay cuts for faculty and staff.

Coaches and Administrators in the Athletic Departments also took pay cuts.

Both O.U. and F.D.U are also seeing enrollment drops because of 

classes being partially or fully on-line.

A big issue is that the schools are charging full tuition,for "remote" or partially

remote classes.

That's pushing a lot of students to consider a "gap" year.

Combine that with reduced density in dorms and there's 

more red ink.

9 hours ago, nom said:

You all have no idea what the budget crunch is like for states and public schools.  

Might be a slippery slope? LOL ... he’ll be lucky if he doesn’t have to let staff go. 

Barta says the cuts are based on the assumption that both football and basketball seasons will be competing, with fans in stands. 

So this rosy picture assumes packed football stadiums.  Or partially packed.  We shall see.  I predict more pain.  Yea, slippery slope.  Brands should say hell no.

Or you could not be a douche about it... 

Sorry for sounding like that.  I’m just tired of people whining about things like this or similar (last year seniors should get another redshirt year).  These kind of issues need to be seen in the big picture. They are minor and we should not expect big accommodations given the bigger issues. 

Many are missing the big picture.

Just now, nom said:

Sorry for sounding like that.  I’m just tired of people whining about things like this or similar (last year seniors should get another redshirt year).  These kind of issues need to be seen in the big picture. They are minor and we should not expect big accommodations given the bigger issues. 

Many are missing the big picture.

People that are under the impression that things will go back to normal are going to be sorely mistaken. 

10 hours ago, nom said:

I'm confused. Over a couple of posts you argue that the pain will most likely be even greater than expected, but you also argue Brands should say hell no to a cut. If the first part of your argument is correct, then if he says hell no to a 15% cut isn't he risking a 100% cut? And if you say they would never fire him, I think that would assume normal circumstances, but you already argued that these were not normal circumstances.

I work at a university. Nom is right. Similar to the economy in general, covid popped a longstanding bubble at these institutions. A lot of these universities started investing heavily in campus luxuries as a way to recruit higher enrollment, at the expense of the actual substance of the university. Now the covid restrictions have made a lot of those investments moot and all they have left are the weaknesses in the true structure that weren't addressed.

Students are having a harder time justifying the sky high cost of attendance. Enrollment is going down, especially foreign students due to visa issues. The foreign exchange students are a huge factor because that's where a ton of the money comes from. Masters programs are also a big cash cow that will see major declines as people aren't willing to make that investment in a weak economy.

Unfortunately, wrestling and other non-major college sports are absolutely in danger right now. You're going to see several schools get their scholarships cut to start. Kent State is down from full scholarships to 5 for example.

Williams college has announced that they are cutting their price by 15% for this year.

It's obviously an attempt to maximize the number of full-pay and near-full-pay students who will show up with their parents' checkbook this fall. 

It's a window into what every institution is dealing with.  Except that Williams has a lot more resources than most schools. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-06-29/williams-college-cuts-price-15-cancels-sports-in-virus-tumult

9 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

I work at a university. Nom is right. Similar to the economy in general, covid popped a longstanding bubble at these institutions. A lot of these universities started investing heavily in campus luxuries as a way to recruit higher enrollment, at the expense of the actual substance of the university. Now the covid restrictions have made a lot of those investments moot and all they have left are the weaknesses in the true structure that weren't addressed.

Students are having a harder time justifying the sky high cost of attendance. Enrollment is going down, especially foreign students due to visa issues. The foreign exchange students are a huge factor because that's where a ton of the money comes from. Masters programs are also a big cash cow that will see major declines as people aren't willing to make that investment in a weak economy.

Unfortunately, wrestling and other non-major college sports are absolutely in danger right now. You're going to see several schools get their scholarships cut to start. Kent State is down from full scholarships to 5 for example.

Uncle bernard, You are absolutely correct. The amenities that these institutions have to offer now to get kids is insane. It truly has become an arms race. The days of going to college and living in a dorm room that is not very comfortable are long gone. I will say that a not so up to date and comfy dorm room did motivate a lot of people to hurry and finish school and get the hell out!  

1 minute ago, TexRef said:

Uncle bernard, You are absolutely correct. The amenities that these institutions have to offer now to get kids is insane. It truly has become an arms race. The days of going to college and living in a dorm room that is not very comfortable are long gone. I will say that a not so up to date and comfy dorm room did motivate a lot of people to hurry and finish school and get the hell out!  

Also why the country has almost $2 trillion in student loan debt. School used to be affordable before their were ipads in the walls and stuff. 

1 hour ago, LHU125 said:

Also why the country has almost $2 trillion in student loan debt. School used to be affordable before their were ipads in the walls and stuff. 

Private college tutition has not been affordable for a very long time.  It just has steadier become more obscene over the few decades.

1 hour ago, TexRef said:

And there's definitely something to say for investing in your campus experience. That's an important part of college. But the balance has been completely out of whack for a long time. I also think schools are overestimating the impact of their investment. Sure, the students love high tech dorms, but that's rarely a determining factor. It's more of an added bonus. Most students don't even live in the dorms after their freshman year anyway.

I'd love to see these public institutions reinvest in their actual academic services. Better pay for faculty and staff. Stop leaning on grad students and adjuncts to teach so many courses. Offer better career services departments. If you want a high tech dorm, find a private donor. Otherwise, just make sure you're offering a safe place for these students to live in relative comfort, not luxury. They'll end up living in much worse conditions in off campus housing after a year anyway. 

6 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

A lot of these universities started investing heavily in campus luxuries as a way to recruit higher enrollment, at the expense of the actual substance of the university. Now the covid restrictions have made a lot of those investments moot and all they have left are the weaknesses in the true structure that weren't addressed.

What do you mean by campus luxuries?  It sounds like an interesting topic.

32 minutes ago, madcat11 said:

What do you mean by campus luxuries?  It sounds like an interesting topic.

Campuses are basically being "forced", for lack of a better word, to continually upgrade their facilities to attract students.

Example: No one wants to live in a building where there's one shower room per floor when they can live in a four room suite where you share a shower with one other person. 

When my wife and I  were in graduate school a couple of years back, the undergrads lived a life we never thought could exist. They don't have a cafeteria associated with a dorm or a cluster of dorms; they had a dining facility where, I kid you not, chain restaurants were in operation and their meal cards would let them buy things from restaurants you or I would also frequent. 

My wife is a college professor with a PhD AND a JD, both from top schools in each field. She works at a state school in CO, and makes what I would consider a relatively poor salary for a person of her ability. They keep building new buildings while giving her a 2.5% yearly raise. She's the best rated (by students) non-tenured professor in her college, but makes a fraction of what she could if she went back to law. Sometimes I wonder if she'll eventually do just that. 

On another, similar note, we have the athletic department arms races. We're talking real money here. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/photos-clemsons-football-facility-2017-10

Edited by Le duke

Reality check:

Here's some news for all of you:  if next fall college football is NOT played, the loss of revenue will result in catastrophic reductions in not just other sports but many non-sport activities as well.  Brands is smart: take the small hit now and I doubt he'll be asked to take more later.  No other sport makes money like football.  Even basketball can't touch football.  And even if they play with stands empty, tv revenue will come down big time:  the excitement will be lost.