CoachWrestling

Brands taking a 15% pay cut next season

2 hours ago, madcat11 said:

What do you mean by campus luxuries?  It sounds like an interesting topic.

2 hours ago, Le duke said:

Campuses are basically being "forced", for lack of a better word, to continually upgrade their facilities to attract students.

Example: No one wants to live in a building where there's one shower room per floor when they can live in a four room suite where you share a shower with one other person. 

When my wife and I  were in graduate school a couple of years back, the undergrads lived a life we never thought could exist. They don't have a cafeteria associated with a dorm or a cluster of dorms; they had a dining facility where, I kid you not, chain restaurants were in operation and their meal cards would let them buy things from restaurants you or I would also frequent. 

My wife is a college professor with a PhD AND a JD, both from top schools in each field. She works at a state school in CO, and makes what I would consider a relatively poor salary for a person of her ability. They keep building new buildings while giving her a 2.5% yearly raise. She's the best rated (by students) non-tenured professor in her college, but makes a fraction of what she could if she went back to law. Sometimes I wonder if she'll eventually do just that. 

On another, similar note, we have the athletic department arms races. We're talking real money here. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/photos-clemsons-football-facility-2017-10

Great examples from Le duke. Very similar to my experience working at a very good state school. In the last 3 years, the school has renovated 4 dorms and built another completely new dorm on top of that. Another was scheduled for this year, but is now on hold (actually the one I lived in when I attended). Ironically, 2 of the dorms rebuilt were already considered to be among the luxury dorms. They've also built several new stand alone academic buildings, all incredibly high tech (read: expensive). 

Meanwhile, most of the people that actually make the university run are relatively underpaid. Another fun little anecdote from my experience I always like to tell. Last year, my school (not the entire university, just the school I work at) spent over $300k on catering. Not the hugest dent in the budget, but as someone who sees how much of that food gets thrown away at the end, incredibly infuriating. 

The devastation from lost football and basketball revenue at DI schools is easy to understand. What about the other divisions?  Surely, cancelling a football season at the average DII school doesn't cost money.  It probably even saves a little.

On 7/1/2020 at 12:59 PM, uncle bernard said:

And there's definitely something to say for investing in your campus experience. That's an important part of college. But the balance has been completely out of whack for a long time. I also think schools are overestimating the impact of their investment. Sure, the students love high tech dorms, but that's rarely a determining factor. It's more of an added bonus. Most students don't even live in the dorms after their freshman year anyway.

I'd love to see these public institutions reinvest in their actual academic services. Better pay for faculty and staff. Stop leaning on grad students and adjuncts to teach so many courses. Offer better career services departments. If you want a high tech dorm, find a private donor. Otherwise, just make sure you're offering a safe place for these students to live in relative comfort, not luxury. They'll end up living in much worse conditions in off campus housing after a year anyway. 

I live in a B10 town. Some of the highest paid administrators in the confetence.

The race to attract residents between updated dorms and newly built apartments and townhouse is robust.

Pools, fitness centers, spas, massages, study lounges, hair care, transportation and more. All for a price. 

Lots of empty beds are in the future.

3 hours ago, ResiliteMarine said:

I live in a B10 town. Some of the highest paid administrators in the confetence.

The race to attract residents between updated dorms and newly built apartments and townhouse is robust.

Pools, fitness centers, spas, massages, study lounges, hair care, transportation and more. All for a price. 

Lots of empty beds are in the future.

Same for my town (also big ten). Meanwhile homelessness is skyrocketing as the cost of living increases because of the new luxury apartments replacing older more affordable housing. Very sad.

On 7/2/2020 at 11:41 AM, Plasmodium said:

The devastation from lost football and basketball revenue at DI schools is easy to understand. What about the other divisions?  Surely, cancelling a football season at the average DII school doesn't cost money.  It probably even saves a little.

Lol. Couldn't be more wrong. Those schools depend on football similarly to DI institutions. The ROI on football is insane, and the lost of a season is a major blow to budgets. 

56 minutes ago, LHU125 said:

Lol. Couldn't be more wrong. Those schools depend on football similarly to DI institutions. The ROI on football is insane, and the lost of a season is a major blow to budgets. 

No TV.  Ticket money doesn't do much more than cover travel. Where does the money come from? 

On 6/30/2020 at 10:32 PM, gimpeltf said:

Might be campus wide

If there is a 15% cut campus wide that would mean less grass to cut.  Unless they cut parking or buildings. 

NEARLY HALF OF major college football and men's basketball coaches have taken voluntary pay cuts in response to the financial crisis facing higher education because of the coronavirus pandemic, but most of the highest-paid coaches have not, an ESPN survey found.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/29468590/some-not-all-coaches-share-colleges-burden-amid-coronavirus-pandemic