Pinnum

Today we have a new Division-I program in Kentucky

https://athletics.bellarmine.edu/sports/wrestling

As of July 1, 2020 Bellarmine University has become a NCAA Division-I institution as they formally start their transition.  The school of about 4,000 students is located in Louisville, Kentucky and will begin play in the Atlantic Sun Conference (wrestling will compete as an independent as they are not eligible to qualify for the NCAA tournament yet).

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/kentuckiana/2020/07/01/bellarmine-athletics-joins-division-i-atlantic-sun-conference/5354149002/

Always happy to have another D1 school, but this program will have problems.  No other Atlantic Sun school has a wrestling program, and the team's going to have to travel a ways to find opponents.

27 minutes ago, jdalu75 said:

Always happy to have another D1 school, but this program will have problems.  No other Atlantic Sun school has a wrestling program, and the team's going to have to travel a ways to find opponents.

Ok Pinnum, it is time for you to post yet another one of your fine maps with all of the wrestling programs. There are some green horns that would be delighted to have such a great reference at their fingertips. 

1 hour ago, jdalu75 said:

Indiana - 2 hours

tOSU - 3 hours

Purdue - 3 hours

Illinois - 3.5 hours

SIUE - 4 hours

Ohio U - 4 hours

UTC - 4.5 hours

Cleveland State - 5 hours

Northwestern - 5 hours

Doesn't seem so bad

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Indiana - 2 hours

tOSU - 3 hours

Purdue - 3 hours

Illinois - 3.5 hours

SIUE - 4 hours

Ohio U - 4 hours

UTC - 4.5 hours

Cleveland State - 5 hours

Northwestern - 5 hours

Doesn't seem so bad

B1G schools offering Bellarmine a 3 for 1 then backing out and paying the kill fee when its their turn to travel.

3 hours ago, TexRef said:

Ok Pinnum, it is time for you to post yet another one of your fine maps with all of the wrestling programs. There are some green horns that would be delighted to have such a great reference at their fingertips. 

Here is one I just threw together for you. https://www.mapcustomizer.com/map/NCAA_Division_I_Wrestling_Schools

3 hours ago, buckeyehomer said:

Spencer Adams is a great coach, but this looks like it will be an absolute disaster. I believe I read they will not be able to compete in the post season for four years, how are they supposed to recruit kids? 

Same way as Cal Baptist. Seriously there will be some kids who will go there for the free or somewhat free education even though they'll never have a chance to wrestle in the NCAA tournament.

4 hours ago, buckeyehomer said:

Spencer Adams is a great coach, but this looks like it will be an absolute disaster. I believe I read they will not be able to compete in the post season for four years, how are they supposed to recruit kids? 

As, @ConnorsDad said, there have been other programs that have done it.  

It isn't as bad as it would seem.  You really have two years with your holdovers from D2.  Kids don't really transfer out.  You can up their scholarship to keep them.  And the last two years you are bringing in D1 recruits who will have 3-4 years (with redshirt) to compete in the NCAA tournament.  So it really isn't that bad.  The first year in the recruiting can take a hit because those recruits are hit the worst but you tend to have a lot of D2 and D3 quality kids that are willing to walk-on because they want to be in a D1 program.  

20 hours ago, Pinnum said:

Here is one I just threw together for you. https://www.mapcustomizer.com/map/NCAA_Division_I_Wrestling_Schools

Terrific job!  I just wish my internet speeds were faster.  I think it does show that they'll have issues -- many of the closest schools are Big 10 programs that have much of their scheduling mandated by the conference.  That's caused problems for schools that have had rivalries with Big 10 schools -- Lehigh vs. Michigan, for instance.  If SIUE is four hours away and that's one of their closer potential opponents, at a time when schools are trying to limit travel and other expenses, I think they'll have problems with their scheduling.  We'll see.

41 minutes ago, IronChef said:

At 2,400 or so full time undergraduates, I think Bellarmine will be the fourth-smallest DI wrestling school after Presbyterian (~1,000), VMI (~1,700), and Davidson (~1,800).

I believe Franklin & Marshall is slightly smaller...regardless, one or the other is fourth/fifth.

8 hours ago, jdalu75 said:

I think it does show that they'll have issues --  If SIUE is four hours away and that's one of their closer potential opponents, at a time when schools are trying to limit travel and other expenses, I think they'll have problems with their scheduling.  We'll see.

I don’t think so.  And there are a few reasons for it.  

1.  They are directly between the MAC and the SoCon.  Both are conferences that like to compete against each other and are conferences where they won’t be out matches right out of the gate.  Most teams look for multiple duals in a trip, be it hitting up multiple different schools in one swing or attending a multi-dual event.  Guess who is a program that programs will now be happy to schedule as they are passing through?  They are in the perfect location.  They can host dual events and connect MAC and SoCon teams.  Win-win. 

2.  There is no dual requirement.  There is no dual season.  There is no dual championship.  They can get tournaments no problem. 

5 hours ago, IronChef said:

At 2,400 or so full time undergraduates, I think Bellarmine will be the fourth-smallest DI wrestling school after Presbyterian (~1,000), VMI (~1,700), and Davidson (~1,800).

5 hours ago, SetonHallPirate said:

I believe Franklin & Marshall is slightly smaller...regardless, one or the other is fourth/fifth.

15 minutes ago, IronChef said:

think that's right, though F&M is a DIII school.

The statement was smallest D1 Wrestling school though for which F&M qualifies.

6 hours ago, IronChef said:

Edited by jdalu75
duplicate post

On 7/2/2020 at 4:52 PM, fadzaev2 said:

Wasn't Mark Hall originally from Michigan, not Kentucky....Goodrich or Davison?

Lol yes. He would go to Davison in the fall for football and then Kentucky in the winter for 7th grade. Took 2nd that year and then moved to Apple Valley where he repeated 7th grade again and won Minnesota state titles from 7th-12th grade.

On 7/1/2020 at 4:05 PM, ConnorsDad said:

Same way as Cal Baptist. Seriously there will be some kids who will go there for the free or somewhat free education even though they'll never have a chance to wrestle in the NCAA tournament.

Honestly what they need to do is look at redshirts for all wrestlers that have not  used it yet.    They need to also make sure they compete NCWA while transition.  That has been a good segway for many teams with good sized brackets and some pretty solid talent considering there are a lot of wreslters out there with the  fear of leaving the pond of home  where no options are except NCWA level.  Some NCWA teams are really solid,  some are ****ty.   But,   some also work way harder than  "official"   intercollegiate wrestling programs and have way better numbers.    Good competition from Navy Prep, Air Force Prep,  Liberty ,Schreiner and Apprentice always come to mind.   Central Florida might still be up there too, but since schools started adding in Florida I am not sure how they balance out now.