Sign in to follow this  
Idaho

Arizona State gets another transfer

20 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I think if you transfer twice in D1 you have to sit a year?

But Lipari is a grad transfer which I believe is exempt

He was a grad transfer when he went from Rutgers or rider mid season last year 

1 hour ago, Idaho said:

Peter Lipari - Rutgers and Rider - 141 lb - qualifier. Must be going 149 unless something is up with Chlebove. 

Move does seem a little odd. Lipari started off his career as a 133 if I remember correctly, so I'm hard pressed to believe he's a full sized 149. I'd also be shocked if a National Qualifier came in to be a depth guy his senior year. Hopefully this doesn't mean somethings up with Chlebove.

11 minutes ago, RegularStalling said:

Move does seem a little odd. Lipari started off his career as a 133 if I remember correctly, so I'm hard pressed to believe he's a full sized 149. I'd also be shocked if a National Qualifier came in to be a depth guy his senior year. Hopefully this doesn't mean somethings up with Chlebove.

I had the same thoughts. 

16 minutes ago, RegularStalling said:

Agreed, isn't the reason that he left Rutgers in the first place due to Aragona beating him out for 141 and Lipari not wanting to bump up to 149?

17 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

Agreed, isn't the reason that he left Rutgers in the first place due to Aragona beating him out for 141 and Lipari not wanting to bump up to 149?

Yes , then he transferred to rider and jo jo Beat him in rideouts in the dual and then fans and parents were arguing yelling at each other, had the Rutgers fans stirred up, it was all pretty funny 

17 hours ago, Idaho said:

Peter Lipari - Rutgers and Rider - 141 lb - qualifier. Must be going 149 unless something is up with Chlebove. 

Idaho, Remember it wasn't that long ago that I mentioned Chlebove might transfer out of ASU? I would love to take credit for some kind of Martha Stewart type info, but it was just a hunch of young adults and being so far away from these days. 

41 minutes ago, TexRef said:

Idaho, Remember it wasn't that long ago that I mentioned Chlebove might transfer out of ASU? I would love to take credit for some kind of Martha Stewart type info, but it was just a hunch of young adults and being so far away from these days. 

Yep I do! All speculation so far, but as many have mentioned, you don't transfer to be a good backup or to bump up a weight that you did not want to bump up to at a previous school. 

2 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

I like Lipari, but the move doesn't seem to make sense on ASU's part.  Unless they made him no promises and are giving him little to no scholarship money.

This is a stretch here, but Pete was pretty close to Suriano. I wonder...

10 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Lipari could sneak into the 6-8 range. He is better than Delevechio. It all comes down to draw. 

Scott?  That’s an odd comparison since if he was he probably would have started at 133 in 2018.   And Delvecchio’s results are much better anyway. 

wrestlestat has Lipari listed as a 149. He didn't seem to fair well against top 20 competition. I think that will be a stretch for him but we shall see. I think the move if anything, gives Vasquez a redshirt year. 

3 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Scott?  That’s an odd comparison since if he was he probably would have started at 133 in 2018.   And Delvecchio’s results are much better anyway. 

They are both similarly ranked in their perspective weights. Scott made the most of his draw (and got extremely lucky vs Desanto). To his credit, he made the most of it and placed 6th. It was an great run for him. 

I think Lipari is similar, in that with the right draw and things going his way, he can place. In fact, I think he has a better shot of doing it than Scott did, and Scott was able to pull it off. 

that’s why I compared them. Hopefully it makes a bit more sense now

WrestleStat already has him on the Arizona State roster AT 149 lbs.   I can see why ASU would want to add him to their team for next season at 149 lbs as that will give them a chance to redshirt Jesse Vasquez.   But his stats last season at 141 lbs are not very impressive.  He went 12-7 and went 1-2 at the 2020 MAC championships at 141 lbs.

However it appears as if Lipari must have been granted a 6th year of eligibility at some point as his WrestleStat profile shows he first competed in college in 2016 while redshirting.  Did not compete at all in 2017.  Then competed in 2018,2019 and 2020.  Did he miss all of the 2017 season due to injury or what?  Also he was listed on Rider's team roster for 2020 as a RS Senior.

Edited by Bronco

15 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

They are both similarly ranked in their perspective weights. Scott made the most of his draw (and got extremely lucky vs Desanto). To his credit, he made the most of it and placed 6th. It was an great run for him. 

I think Lipari is similar, in that with the right draw and things going his way, he can place. In fact, I think he has a better shot of doing it than Scott did, and Scott was able to pull it off. 

that’s why I compared them. Hopefully it makes a bit more sense now

I get what you’re saying, but I disagree.

In Delvecchio’s 3 years as a starter, he was 71-36 (.664) and qualified for NCAA’s all 3 years where he finished 6th, R12 and 0-2 and I’m not seeing that he had any particularly good draws.  To finish 6th, in addition to DeSanto he beat Scott Parker a former AA among others.   When he finished R12 AND when he went 0-2, his only 2 losses were to the guys that finished 5th and 6th.

In Lipari’s 2 years as a starter, he was 25-21 (.543).  He only qualified for NCAA’s once (did not this past season), where he went 1-2.  His win was against Chris Sandoval of Northern Colorado who was 8-12 that year and 0-2 at NCAA’s.  Lipari lost to Yianni, but also to Ian Parker who’s only win at NCAA’s was Lipari.  According to Wrestlestat, Lipari has never beaten a top 16 guy, while Delvecchio best 5.

23 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I get what you’re saying, but I disagree.

In Delvecchio’s 3 years as a starter, he was 71-36 (.664) and qualified for NCAA’s all 3 years where he finished 6th, R12 and 0-2 and I’m not seeing that he had any particularly good draws.  To finish 6th, in addition to DeSanto he beat Scott Parker a former AA among others.   When he finished R12 AND when he went 0-2, his only 2 losses were to the guys that finished 5th and 6th.

In Lipari’s 2 years as a starter, he was 25-21 (.543).  He only qualified for NCAA’s once (did not this past season), where he went 1-2.  His win was against Chris Sandoval of Northern Colorado who was 8-12 that year and 0-2 at NCAA’s.  Lipari lost to Yianni, but also to Ian Parker who’s only win at NCAA’s was Lipari.  According to Wrestlestat, Lipari has never beaten a top 16 guy, while Delvecchio best 5.

Yea saying Lipari is better then delvecchio is absurd. He just lost a wrestle off and a dual meet last year to jo jo Aragona who was a true freshman who went 11-12. Lipari went 1-2 at the MAC last year and was 9th or 10th At big tens the year he qualified and I’m pretty sure he was the 32 or 33 seed...delvecchio junior year he took 7th at big tens losing to NATO 6-4 and Zane Richards 5-3 ot then won 3 matches at ncaa including beating josh alber...no knock on Lipari but him and delvecchio are different levels....if you want to compare him to a Rutgers AA ken thebold ,who upset collica ,and AAed a few years ago would be more in line with Lipari

26 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Yea saying Lipari is better then delvecchio is absurd. He just lost a wrestle off and a dual meet last year to jo jo Aragona who was a true freshman who went 11-12. Lipari went 1-2 at the MAC last year and was 9th or 10th At big tens the year he qualified and I’m pretty sure he was the 32 or 33 seed...delvecchio junior year he took 7th at big tens losing to NATO 6-4 and Zane Richards 5-3 ot then won 3 matches at ncaa including beating josh alber...no knock on Lipari but him and delvecchio are different levels....if you want to compare him to a Rutgers AA ken thebold ,who upset collica ,and AAed a few years ago would be more in line with Lipari

Consider this from Arizona State's standpoint.  Prior to getting Lipari as a transfer Arizona State was likely going to go with Cory Crooks at 149 lbs - moving up from 141 lbs the last few seasons (according to Zeke Jones) OR going with one of two true freshman, i.e., Jesse Vasquez or Ricky Roberto.   Lipari, at the very least, gives ASU some depth at 149 lbs - especially if the incoming freshmen are going to be redshirted this season.  And why wouldn't they be redshirted with Crooks and Lipari both in their last season of eligibility this coming season?

15 hours ago, Bronco said:

Consider this from Arizona State's standpoint.  Prior to getting Lipari as a transfer Arizona State was likely going to go with Cory Crooks at 149 lbs - moving up from 141 lbs the last few seasons (according to Zeke Jones) OR going with one of two true freshman, i.e., Jesse Vasquez or Ricky Roberto.   Lipari, at the very least, gives ASU some depth at 149 lbs - especially if the incoming freshmen are going to be redshirted this season.  And why wouldn't they be redshirted with Crooks and Lipari both in their last season of eligibility this coming season?

I don’t think it’s a bad move for Arizona state ,I just think comparing delvecchio to lipari is ridiculous, 2 totally different level wrestlers, I think lipari would be a slight upgrade over crooks if that’s who they planned on going with but I couldn’t see him AAing or even making the blood round like delvecchio did

I used WrestleStat's database to do a comparison on how Lipari and Crooks would theoretically do (according to WrestleStat) vs. the projected starters for the other PAC 12 teams for 2021.  This is what I came up with:

LIPARI vs. Projected PAC 12 starters at 149 lbs for the 2021 season:

vs. Jaden Abas (Stanford) - Abas wins 8-4 vs Lipari

vs. Requir van der Merwe (Stanford) - van der Merwe wins 6-4 vs. Lipari

vs. Lane Stigall (Oregon State) - Stigall wins 8-7 vs. Lipari

vs. Tyler Brennan (Little Rock) - Brennan wins 7-6 vs Lipari

vs. Legend Lamer (Cal Poly) - Lipari wins 7-5 vs. Lamer

vs. Josh Brown (CS Bakersfield) - Lipari wins 9-4 vs. Brown

CROOKS vs. Projected PAC 12 starters at 149 lbs for the 2021 season:

vs. Jaden Abas (Stanford) - Abas wins 8-4 vs. Crooks

vs. Requir van der Merwe (Stanford) - van der Merwe wins 9-3 vs Crooks

vs. Lane Stigall (Oregon State) - Stigall wins 9-4 vs. Crooks

vs. Tyler Brennan (Little Rock) - Brennan wins 8-4 vs Crooks

vs. Legend Lamer (Cal Poly) - Lamer wins 7-6 vs Crooks

vs. Josh Brown (CS Bakersfield) - Brown wins 8-7 vs Crooks

However it should be noted that WrestleStat still has Crooks listed at 141 lbs - well after ASU's head coach made it very clear that Crooks would be moving up to 149 lbs in that Zoom conference call they had last month.  So that MAY be why Crooks was not projected to win any of these theoretical match-ups at 149 lbs.

But based on these projected outcomes (thanks to WrestleStat) it appears that Lipari would be very competitive against all of the PAC 12 projected starters other than one of the two possible starters for Stanford, i.e., Jaden Abas.

Edited by Bronco

Lipari at 149 would make more sense with the Chlebove discussion earlier.   Not that he'd definitely start at 149 but seems like he's got a good shot to there.

But yeah because he and Crooks are at different weights it is tough to compare via wrestlesat.   Crooks and Aragona actually had a couple common opponents though, not that this means alot, but:

Crooks: Lost by Major to Parker Filius 14-6 and by tech to Kyle Shoop 17-0

Aragona: Lost in SV to Parker Filius 4-2 and by dec to Kyle Shoop 6-5

Edited by 1032004