Metcalf was wrong in what he did and definitely unsportsmanlike. But a backflip with time on the clock is also unsportsmanlike. I am sure Metcalf was not trying to injure him. He was simply being Metcalf and wrestling til the whistle and he and many other wrestlers do a little shove at the end of time or out of bounds. Not condoning that, but it’s part of the sport. On the other hand, DeSanto was clearly trying to injure with an illegal move and that wasn’t his first time doing that. Much worse IMO.

Wasn’t there someone who threw a knee in a match? I think it was George from Cornell? That’s probably the worst single case. If you are talking about worst overall, this begins and ends with DeSanto 

7 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

Wasn’t there someone who threw a knee in a match? I think it was George from Cornell? That’s probably the worst single case. If you are talking about worst overall, this begins and ends with DeSanto 

Quaker118 'described that match on page 2   it was between George and Lehigh's Nathaniel Brown.  

11 hours ago, russelscout said:

Nope. It absolutely does NOT qualify as a slam. Metcalf didnt lift him to that position. 

RULE 7, SEC. 1, ART. 1: A slam is lifting and returning an opponent to the mat with unnecessary force. This infraction may be committed by a contestant in either the top or bottom position on the mat, as well as during a takedown. A slam shall be called without hesitation.

I don't think the rules committee ever conceived of a situation in which a wrestler would willingly put himself into the air like that. By this strict literal interpretation, you could completely spike someone after a failed flying squirrel attempt because you "didn't lift him to that position."

7 hours ago, JHRoseWrestling said:

The visual display on the television or in the arena is irrelevant.  The only thing that matters is whether the whistle clearly sounded before Metcalf started his lunge.  I am not sure it did.  In short time situations athletes aren't (and shouldn't be) watching the clock.

The whistle without doubt started before Metcalf's "lunge." It blew about 10 times before he even raised his hands up to push Caldwell. It wasn't one spur of the moment lunge. He had to run from the center circle to the edge of the mat, all while the whistle was blowing repeatedly, to get to Caldwell.

I really don't get the defense here. It's been 10+ years. It was a shameful display on Brett's part. He could have seriously injured Caldwell. It is by far the darkest point of an outstanding career. I don't define Metcalf by that moment, but I'm certainly not going to whitewash it either. 

1 hour ago, uncle bernard said:

I don't think the rules committee ever conceived of a situation in which a wrestler would willingly put himself into the air like that. By this strict literal interpretation, you could completely spike someone after a failed flying squirrel attempt because you "didn't lift him to that position."

... why would someone hit a flying squirrel in folk? You implied that this qualified under the rules as a slam, when it clearly did not. Why would the other wrestler be responsible for the return when someone willingly and completely on their own decides to leave their feet? By that logic, I could step on the mat, jump in the air, land on my head and disqualify the other wrestler for a slam. Its dumb.

It was a shameful display on Brett's part. He could have seriously injured Caldwell. It is by far the darkest point of an outstanding career. I don't define Metcalf by that moment, but I'm certainly not going to whitewash it either. 

Thank you for signaling to everyone what virtue you have. You clearly have standards, and I am sure everyone here is very impressed.

The whistle without doubt started before Metcalf's "lunge." It blew about 10 times before he even raised his hands up to push Caldwell. It wasn't one spur of the moment lunge. He had to run from the center circle to the edge of the mat, all while the whistle was blowing repeatedly, to get to Caldwell.

I really don't get the defense here. It's been 10+ years. It was a shameful display on Brett's part. He could have seriously injured Caldwell. It is by far the darkest point of an outstanding career. I don't define Metcalf by that moment, but I'm certainly not going to whitewash it either. 

I had such massive denial at the time that I never noticed that the whistle blew before Brentcalf shoved him. The ref even tried to grab Brentcalf by the arm to prevent the shove. In hindsight, I think -1 team point was warranted. 

1 hour ago, russelscout said:

Thank you for signaling to everyone what virtue you have. You clearly have standards, and I am sure everyone here is very impressed.

High praise from the biggest virtue-signaller on the forum. 

I don't think my opinion on the metcalf shove really signals any virtue. It's the lowest bar imaginable. Show that clip to 100 people on the street and 99 will consider it shameful.

2 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

High praise from the biggest virtue-signaller on the forum. 

I don't think my opinion on the metcalf shove really signals any virtue. It's the lowest bar imaginable. Show that clip to 100 people on the street and 99 will consider it shameful.

When I actually do that, feel free to call me out. Good luck.

Edited by russelscout

2 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Metcalf wasnt interested in a td, as evidenced by his post shove reaction.  I can imagine the stalling and premature celebration was  frustrating, so I won't judge too harshly. But it was wrong, so I'll judge mildly. 

All Caldwell had to do was what 'til the match was over to do his back flip, and it wouldn't have happened, like Mark Schultz did vs. Ed Banach in 1982.

I feel that Caldwell doing back flips was bad sportsmanship as well. Metcalf shoving was worse. 

I never liked seeing the winner doing his big celebrations before the handshake and getting his hand raised and giving his opponent a chance to leave the mat. Let him leave and then go crazy

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

McDonough throwing his medal in the garbage was  classic sore loser. 

I hate to see anyone do this - throw medals away right after the awards ceremony. 

In addition to showing poor sportsmanship, it is disrespectful toward our sport. 

2 hours ago, russelscout said:

Ok, let me rephrase. Why would anyone do the flying squirrel in folkstyle outside of Johnson County JV Quadrangular?

There's literally a video linked in this thread of someone doing something very similar in the NCAA quarterfinals (Desanto trying to cartwheel over Micic if you can't figure it out). Also the first video is Renaldo Rodriguez Spencer hitting it on Alfred Bannister to win NHSCA Senior Nationals. Both were ranked highly in the nation, were D1 recruits, and went on to have successful college careers. Anthony Valencia also hit a modified version on Mark Hall as well. Just take the L dude.

31 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

There's literally a video linked in this thread of someone doing something very similar in the NCAA quarterfinals (Desanto trying to cartwheel over Micic if you can't figure it out). Also the first video is Renaldo Rodriguez Spencer hitting it on Alfred Bannister to win NHSCA Senior Nationals. Both were ranked highly in the nation, were D1 recruits, and went on to have successful college careers. Anthony Valencia also hit a modified version on Mark Hall as well. Just take the L dude.

Neither Desanto or Valencia are doing the flying squirrel. Even if, back to the original point, none of those could have resulted in a slam. Not even close. 

Edited by russelscout

10 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

The first was finals of NHSCA.

Ok, fine. I have seen a lot of stuff work in high school match that I havent in college. Let me know when a college kid has a lot of success with that because I havent seen it yet.

10 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Ok, fine. I have seen a lot of stuff work in high school match that I havent in college. Let me know when a college kid has a lot of success with that because I havent seen it yet.

Although this isn't the same move.

This from a lower position around 1:25

And here also RBY